Velocity Reviews

-   -   Pythonwin (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t613536-pythonwin.html)

Clive_S 05-09-2008 10:30 AM

Pythonwin

Hi

I am trying to use Python with ArcGIS.

I have installed Python 2.4. I have an icon for IDLE and command line.
I do not see Python PythonWin.

How do you install or launch pythonwin??

Thanks

Clive

Niklas Norrthon 05-09-2008 10:46 AM

Re: Pythonwin

On 9 Maj, 12:30, Clive_S <clives...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to use Python with ArcGIS.
>
> I have installed Python 2.4. I have an icon for IDLE and command line.
> I do not see Python PythonWin.
>
> How do you install or launch pythonwin??

There is a distribution of PythonWin bundled with the
ArcGIS Desktop installation media, but it is not
installed by the ArcGIS installer.

You have three options:
1. Install it manually from the ArcGIS installation
media.
2. Find it on the web (google for it), download and
install.
3. (My recommendation) Don't bother. IDLE is pretty
good. Emacs even better (unless you hate emacs).

--
Niklas Norrthon
ESRI S-GROUP

ivan 05-09-2008 11:46 AM

Re: Pythonwin

Not related (except that it is about python and ArcGIS): Remember you
can set PYTHONINSPECT to enter interactive mode at the end of a
script. With a script set as an ArcGIS tool, you can then enter
interactive to play around or debug with all the ArcGIS stuff loaded.

Is there a better way people do this?

Ivan

Mike Driscoll 05-09-2008 01:09 PM

Re: Pythonwin

On May 9, 5:30*am, Clive_S <clives...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to use Python with ArcGIS.
>
> I have installed Python 2.4. I have an icon for IDLE and command line.
> I do not see Python PythonWin.
>
> How do you install or launch pythonwin??
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

I have PythonWin installed in my Start Menu --> Programs --> Python
2.5. I may have installed the ActiveState version though. Just check
if it's there on your system and if not, you can follow Niklas's
advice.

Mike

Clive_S 05-09-2008 01:40 PM

Re: Pythonwin

Hi all

I downloaded (from Python) and installed python-2.4.4.msi

I have python and pythonw.exe in the Python 24 folder (but not in my
start menu).
When I click on the pythonw.exe it is not launched??

Thanks

Clive

Ahmed, Shakir 05-09-2008 01:54 PM

RE: Pythonwin

You need to install the same version on your pc, if you have 2.5 already installed you need to download 2.5 pythonwin from http://sourceforge.net

Hope it will work for you.
Thanks
sk

Gabriel Genellina 05-09-2008 02:02 PM

Re: Pythonwin

En Fri, 09 May 2008 10:40:38 -0300, Clive_S <cliveswan@yahoo.co.uk> escribió:

> I downloaded (from Python) and installed python-2.4.4.msi
>
> I have python and pythonw.exe in the Python 24 folder (but not in my
> start menu).
> When I click on the pythonw.exe it is not launched??

pythonw.exe is NOT PythonWin - it's a consoleless version of the standard Python interpreter.
PythonWin is part of the pywin32 package that you can download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/ (make sure you get the right version)

--
Gabriel Genellina

Mike Driscoll 05-09-2008 02:05 PM

Re: Pythonwin

On May 9, 9:02*am, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-...@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> En Fri, 09 May 2008 10:40:38 -0300, Clive_S <clives...@yahoo.co.uk> escribió:
>
> > I downloaded (from Python) and installed python-2.4.4.msi

> > I have python and pythonw.exe in the Python 24 folder (but not in my
> > start menu).
> > When I click on the pythonw.exe it is not launched??

> pythonw.exe is NOT PythonWin - it's a consoleless version of the standard Python interpreter.
> PythonWin is part of the pywin32 package that you can download fromhttps://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/(make sure you get the right version)
>
> --
> Gabriel Genellina

Ah. That's where I got it. Sorry for promulgating my own confusion!

Mike