Velocity Reviews

-   -   Environment Variables (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t612905-environment-variables.html)

Krishna 04-25-2008 01:07 PM

Environment Variables

Environment variable set up is the most confusing part for me all the
time. Please help me with the following questions:

When I install python in a new system, I will go to environment
variables (system variables) and set "path" pointing to C:\Python25
and thats all I do.
I type python from "cmd" window and its converting to python window
for python execution. All fine up to this point.
Now, I want to drag and drop python (.py) files to this window and
execute it. My python files are located in different directories
inside C: and outside C:. When I do that, I get errors and the file is
not found and its not imported. ALso, inside the .py file, if I have a
command to open a different file, it doesnt see that either. How do I
overcome these basic difficulties in python. I wish I can open any
file and work on that using python.

Thanks for your help!
Krishna

Mike Driscoll 04-25-2008 01:17 PM

Re: Environment Variables

On Apr 25, 8:07*am, Krishna <manthra.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Environment variable set up is the most confusing part for me all the
> time. Please help me with the following questions:
>
> When I install python in a new system, I will go to environment
> variables (system variables) and set "path" pointing to C:\Python25
> and thats all I do.
> I type python from "cmd" window and its converting to python window
> for python execution. All fine up to this point.
> Now, I want to drag and drop python (.py) files to this window and
> execute it. My python files are located in different directories
> inside C: and outside C:. When I do that, I get errors and the file is
> not found and its not imported. ALso, inside the .py file, if I have a
> command to open a different file, it doesnt see that either. How do I
> overcome these basic difficulties in python. I wish I can open any
> file and work on that using python.
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Krishna

I'm pretty sure you can't do that in a command window. I tried it on
my Windows XP machine and all I get in my instance of IDLE is the path
to the file. It DOES work with PythonWin, which is the ActiveState
version of Python. The only difference is that it include the win32
modules and has a more advanced editor.

You can probably get this to work in other more advanced editors, like
WingIDE or PyDev too.

Mike

Steve Holden 04-25-2008 01:25 PM

Re: Environment Variables

Krishna wrote:
> Environment variable set up is the most confusing part for me all the
> time. Please help me with the following questions:
>
> When I install python in a new system, I will go to environment
> variables (system variables) and set "path" pointing to C:\Python25
> and thats all I do.
> I type python from "cmd" window and its converting to python window
> for python execution. All fine up to this point.
> Now, I want to drag and drop python (.py) files to this window and
> execute it. My python files are located in different directories
> inside C: and outside C:. When I do that, I get errors and the file is
> not found and its not imported. ALso, inside the .py file, if I have a
> command to open a different file, it doesnt see that either. How do I
> overcome these basic difficulties in python. I wish I can open any
> file and work on that using python.

http://www.python.org/doc/faq/window...-under-windows

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Krishna 04-25-2008 01:26 PM

Re: Environment Variables

On Apr 25, 9:17*am, Mike Driscoll <kyoso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 25, 8:07*am, Krishna <manthra.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Environment variable set up is the most confusing part for me all the
> > time. Please help me with the following questions:

> > When I install python in a new system, I will go to environment
> > variables (system variables) and set "path" pointing to C:\Python25
> > and thats all I do.
> > I type python from "cmd" window and its converting to python window
> > for python execution. All fine up to this point.
> > Now, I want to drag and drop python (.py) files to this window and
> > execute it. My python files are located in different directories
> > inside C: and outside C:. When I do that, I get errors and the file is
> > not found and its not imported. ALso, inside the .py file, if I have a
> > command to open a different file, it doesnt see that either. How do I
> > overcome these basic difficulties in python. I wish I can open any
> > file and work on that using python.

> > Thanks for your help!
> > Krishna

> I'm pretty sure you can't do that in a command window. I tried it on
> my Windows XP machine and all I get in my instance of IDLE is the path
> to the file. It DOES work with PythonWin, which is the ActiveState
> version of Python. The only difference is that it include the win32
> modules and has a more advanced editor.
>
> You can probably get this to work in other more advanced editors, like
> WingIDE or PyDev too.
>
> Mike- Hide quoted text -

So, how do I get the win32 module and what to do with that? Just
install it?

Thanks,
Krishna

Mike Driscoll 04-25-2008 02:30 PM

Re: Environment Variables

On Apr 25, 8:26*am, Krishna <manthra.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 25, 9:17*am, Mike Driscoll <kyoso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 25, 8:07*am, Krishna <manthra.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Environment variable set up is the most confusing part for me all the
> > > time. Please help me with the following questions:

> > > When I install python in a new system, I will go to environment
> > > variables (system variables) and set "path" pointing to C:\Python25
> > > and thats all I do.
> > > I type python from "cmd" window and its converting to python window
> > > for python execution. All fine up to this point.
> > > Now, I want to drag and drop python (.py) files to this window and
> > > execute it. My python files are located in different directories
> > > inside C: and outside C:. When I do that, I get errors and the file is
> > > not found and its not imported. ALso, inside the .py file, if I have a
> > > command to open a different file, it doesnt see that either. How do I
> > > overcome these basic difficulties in python. I wish I can open any
> > > file and work on that using python.

> > > Thanks for your help!
> > > Krishna

> > I'm pretty sure you can't do that in a command window. I tried it on
> > my Windows XP machine and all I get in my instance of IDLE is the path
> > to the file. It DOES work with PythonWin, which is the ActiveState
> > version of Python. The only difference is that it include the win32
> > modules and has a more advanced editor.

> > You can probably get this to work in other more advanced editors, like
> > WingIDE or PyDev too.

> > Mike- Hide quoted text -

> So, how do I get the win32 module and what to do with that? Just
> install it?
>
> Thanks,
> Krishna

ActivePython can be found on the ActiveState website:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/activepython/?_x=1

This will basically just add whatever modules needed if Python is
already installed and it will also install another editor called
pythonwin, which you should be able to find in your start menu.

But be sure to check out that link that Steve gave you. That might
work for you too.

Mike