Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Problem building python in virtual machine running centos (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t612894-re-problem-building-python-in-virtual-machine-running-centos.html)

Paul Boddie 04-25-2008 11:27 AM

On 25 Apr, 03:05, Alexandre Gillet <gil...@scripps.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to build python-2.4.5 on Centos 5.1, which is a virtual
> machine running with xen.
> I am not able to build python. The compilation crash with the following:
> gcc -pthread -c -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I.
> -I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Objects/unicodeobject.o
> Objects/unicodeobject.c
> In file included from ./Include/Python.h:76,
> from Objects/unicodeobject.c:39:
> ./Include/object.h:228: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
> The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
>
> Any suggestion of what am I doing wrong?

You say that the bug is not reproducible, so that means that you can
sometimes compile Python, or does the crash always happen when
compiling some file (not necessarily the one mentioned above)? I think
I've only ever seen a reproducible gcc crash once, and that had
something to do with a C++ source file which I then split into two and
was able to compile as these two separate parts. You might want to
check the gcc version (gcc -v) and to look at bug fixes in any later
versions. Generally, if you get an internal error in gcc, you aren't
doing anything wrong yourself.

Paul

Paul Melis 04-25-2008 12:16 PM

Paul Boddie wrote:
> On 25 Apr, 03:05, Alexandre Gillet <gil...@scripps.edu> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to build python-2.4.5 on Centos 5.1, which is a virtual
>>machine running with xen.
>>I am not able to build python. The compilation crash with the following:
>>gcc -pthread -c -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I.
>>-I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Objects/unicodeobject.o
>>Objects/unicodeobject.c
>>In file included from ./Include/Python.h:76,
>> from Objects/unicodeobject.c:39:
>>./Include/object.h:228: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
>>Please submit a full bug report,
>>with preprocessed source if appropriate.
>>See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
>>The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
>>
>>Any suggestion of what am I doing wrong?

> You say that the bug is not reproducible, so that means that you can

"The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem."

This line is printed by GCC itself, not the OP

Paul

Paul Boddie 04-25-2008 02:31 PM

On 25 Apr, 14:16, Paul Melis <p...@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> "The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem."
>
> This line is printed by GCC itself, not the OP

It's a strange thing for anyone to claim in an error message, though,
especially if it is reproducible. Perhaps some people have special
criteria for reproducibility.

Paul