Velocity Reviews

-   -   python scripts to standalone executable (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t611830-python-scripts-to-standalone-executable.html)

Amit Gupta 03-31-2008 05:24 PM

python scripts to standalone executable

Hi

I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
executable on Linux.

I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
freeze:

1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
from that?
2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
(ActiveState has nothing)?

Any other related commets are also welcome.

Thanks
Amit

John Henry 03-31-2008 05:37 PM

Re: python scripts to standalone executable

On Mar 31, 10:24 am, Amit Gupta <emaila...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
> executable on Linux.
>
> I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
> freeze:
>
> 1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
> from that?
> 2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
> (ActiveState has nothing)?
>
> Any other related commets are also welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Amit

I don't know about freeeze.py but for me, I've been using py2exe, and
also pyinstall quite often and they both work for me.

Amit Gupta 03-31-2008 05:38 PM

On Mar 31, 10:37 am, John Henry <john106he...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 10:24 am, Amit Gupta <emaila...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi

> > I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
> > executable on Linux.

> > I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
> > freeze:

> > 1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
> > from that?
> > 2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
> > (ActiveState has nothing)?

> > Any other related commets are also welcome.

> > Thanks
> > Amit

> I don't know about freeeze.py but for me, I've been using py2exe, and
> also pyinstall quite often and they both work for me.

Isnt py2exe for windows only?
I haven't looked at pyinstall.. Is it for linux?

John Henry 03-31-2008 06:45 PM

On Mar 31, 10:38 am, Amit Gupta <emaila...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 10:37 am, John Henry <john106he...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 10:24 am, Amit Gupta <emaila...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi

> > > I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
> > > executable on Linux.

> > > I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
> > > freeze:

> > > 1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
> > > from that?
> > > 2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
> > > (ActiveState has nothing)?

> > > Any other related commets are also welcome.

> > > Thanks
> > > Amit

> > I don't know about freeeze.py but for me, I've been using py2exe, and
> > also pyinstall quite often and they both work for me.

> Isnt py2exe for windows only?

Not sure. I use it on windows.

It appears so - according to http://www.pyinstaller.org/

Amit Gupta 03-31-2008 08:24 PM

On Mar 31, 11:45 am, John Henry <john106he...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure. I use it on windows.
>
> > I haven't looked at pyinstall.. Is it for linux?

> It appears so - according tohttp://www.pyinstaller.org/

Thanks! It does show support for Linux. The documentation says it
works for python until version 2.4. I am using 2.5.1. Not sure if it
will work seamlessly, but I will try.

If anyone has experience to share on using pyinstaller on 2.5.1 or
higher, please share.

Amit

Mike Driscoll 03-31-2008 08:52 PM

On Mar 31, 12:24 pm, Amit Gupta <emaila...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
> executable on Linux.
>
> I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
> freeze:
>
> 1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
> from that?
> 2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
> (ActiveState has nothing)?
>
> Any other related commets are also welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Amit

What about creating a setup.py and using the distutils command to
build rpms or tarballs?

http://docs.python.org/dist/built-dist.html

Mike

Amit Gupta 03-31-2008 09:53 PM

On Mar 31, 1:52 pm, Mike Driscoll <kyoso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What about creating a setup.py and using the distutils command to
> build rpms or tarballs?
>
> http://docs.python.org/dist/built-dist.html
>
> Mike

My quick look: The link you sent is under the header "Distributing
Python Modules". In my case, I have set of python-files that
altogether is part of one product-functionality. I would like to
package it and have it run standalone, even if the user does not have
python installed.

Ok, I guess build-dist can possibly achieve the same purpose (without
reading through the link you sent). So my question would be: why is
there pyinstaller, if this does the job. Is build-dist more low-level
and thus is over-kill for the kind of application I am looking for?:

Thanks

Mike Driscoll 04-01-2008 12:50 AM

On Mar 31, 4:53 pm, Amit Gupta <emaila...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 1:52 pm, Mike Driscoll <kyoso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > What about creating a setup.py and using the distutils command to
> > build rpms or tarballs?

> >http://docs.python.org/dist/built-dist.html

> > Mike

> My quick look: The link you sent is under the header "Distributing
> Python Modules". In my case, I have set of python-files that
> altogether is part of one product-functionality. I would like to
> package it and have it run standalone, even if the user does not have
> python installed.

Good point. I guess I missed the "one product-functionality"
requirement in your original post. Sorry for the noise!

> Ok, I guess build-dist can possibly achieve the same purpose (without
> reading through the link you sent). So my question would be: why is
> there pyinstaller, if this does the job. Is build-dist more low-level
> and thus is over-kill for the kind of application I am looking for?:
>
> Thanks

PyInstaller is for converting something you've written in Python into
a binary for various OS's. When I read through the thread though, I
thought your requirements might include distributing the modules as
source too.

If you want to produce a binary for Macs, I've heard that py2app does
the job: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/py2app/

There's also cx_freeze, which is different than freeze.py:
http://www.cxtools.net/default.aspx?nav=cxfrlb

The last one is probably the best new advice I have to offer.

Mike

BlueBird 04-01-2008 01:03 PM

On Mar 31, 7:24 pm, Amit Gupta <emaila...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking for a some tool that can convert python scripts to
> executable on Linux.
>
> I found freeeze.py as the only option so far. Couple of queries on
> freeze:
>
> 1. Have anyone used the freeze utility and any experiences to share
> from that?
> 2. Is there any enterprise-level exe-builder for python on linux
> (ActiveState has nothing)?
>
> Any other related commets are also welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Amit

I've run into the same question and decided to keep a web page memo
about it:

http://www.freehackers.org/Packaging_a_python_program

I'll be happy to update it with feedback.

Philippe