Velocity Reviews

-   -   what do i need to implement data structures (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t610865-what-do-i-need-to-implement-data-structures.html)

victor.herasme@gmail.com 04-30-2008 04:40 PM

what do i need to implement data structures

Hi,

I am a beginner (a civil engineer who needs to know programming) and
i need to know what specific subjects i need to know in order to start
using/programming/creating data structures. I have Deitel's book for
example and i want to know if i have to read the 1200 pages before i
begin. It is very important for me to start as soon as possible. all
suggestions appreciated. Thanks,

victor

Morya 04-30-2008 05:58 PM

Re: what do i need to implement data structures

Hello Victor,

I would suggest that you can go ahead and pick-up a small programming/
language specific book. Say "Thinking in C++" kinds. This will help
you get started with your assignments.

My experience, when I had helped a civil engg buddy of mine back in
college days he didn't really require a lot of data structures but
needed lot of math and huge formulas. We had written a small piece of
code to handle some truss design. Most of this contained defining huge
number of constants and putting them in formulae. So, this would
depend on the type of application that you are targeting to develop.

Lastly, this really isn't a C++ question. Try other appropriate news
groups.

cheers,
Moh

aaragon 04-30-2008 08:19 PM

On Apr 30, 12:58 pm, Morya <mda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Victor,
>
> I would suggest that you can go ahead and pick-up a small programming/
> language specific book. Say "Thinking in C++" kinds. This will help
> you get started with your assignments.
>
> My experience, when I had helped a civil engg buddy of mine back in
> college days he didn't really require a lot of data structures but
> needed lot of math and huge formulas. We had written a small piece of
> code to handle some truss design. Most of this contained defining huge
> number of constants and putting them in formulae. So, this would
> depend on the type of application that you are targeting to develop.
>
> Lastly, this really isn't a C++ question. Try other appropriate news
> groups.
>
> cheers,
> Moh
>
> On Apr 30, 9:40 pm, "victor.hera...@gmail.com"
>
> <victor.hera...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I am a beginner (a civil engineer who needs to know programming) and
> > i need to know what specific subjects i need to know in order to start
> > using/programming/creating data structures. I have Deitel's book for
> > example and i want to know if i have to read the 1200 pages before i
> > begin. It is very important for me to start as soon as possible. all
> > suggestions appreciated. Thanks,

> > victor

Don't implement the data structures yourself, use the ones that are
provided by the standard library. I would suggest reading the book "C+
+ Standard Library - Tutorial and reference". There is a lot of work
put in the design of the std data structures so there is no need to
reimplement that yourself.

aa

victor.herasme@gmail.com 04-30-2008 08:33 PM

On 30 abr, 22:19, aaragon <alejandro.ara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 12:58 pm, Morya <mda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello Victor,

> > I would suggest that you can go ahead and pick-up a small programming/
> > language specific book. Say "Thinking in C++" kinds. This will help
> > you get started with your assignments.

> > My experience, when I had helped a civil engg buddy of mine back in
> > college days he didn't really require a lot of data structures but
> > needed lot of math and huge formulas. We had written a small piece of
> > code to handle some truss design. Most of this contained defining huge
> > number of constants and putting them in formulae. So, this would
> > depend on the type of application that you are targeting to develop.

> > Lastly, this really isn't a C++ question. Try other appropriate news
> > groups.

> > cheers,
> > Moh

> > On Apr 30, 9:40 pm, "victor.hera...@gmail.com"

> > <victor.hera...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > *I am a beginner (a civil engineer who needs to know programming) and
> > > i need to know what specific subjects i need to know in order to start
> > > using/programming/creating data structures. I have Deitel's book for
> > > example and i want to know if i have to read the 1200 pages before i
> > > begin. It is very important for me to start as soon as possible. all
> > > suggestions appreciated. Thanks,

> > > victor

> Don't implement the data structures yourself, use the ones that are
> provided by the standard library. I would suggest reading the book "C+
> + Standard Library - Tutorial and reference". There is a lot of work
> put in the design of the std data structures so there is no need to
> reimplement that yourself.
>
> aa- Ocultar texto de la cita -
>
> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

actually i should have specified what i want. Sorry. Letīs say i need
to make some finite element code. I need to use spatial data
structures. So far i have read the fifth chapter of deitelīs book
(classes). Do i need to learn all the characteristics of the language
in order to understand a data structures ? What else, besides classes,
do i need to read ?

utab 04-30-2008 09:48 PM

Re: what do i need to implement data structures

On Apr 30, 10:33 pm, "victor.hera...@gmail.com"
<victor.hera...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 abr, 22:19, aaragon <alejandro.ara...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 30, 12:58 pm, Morya <mda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hello Victor,

> > > I would suggest that you can go ahead and pick-up a small programming/
> > > language specific book. Say "Thinking in C++" kinds. This will help
> > > you get started with your assignments.

> > > My experience, when I had helped a civil engg buddy of mine back in
> > > college days he didn't really require a lot of data structures but
> > > needed lot of math and huge formulas. We had written a small piece of
> > > code to handle some truss design. Most of this contained defining huge
> > > number of constants and putting them in formulae. So, this would
> > > depend on the type of application that you are targeting to develop.

> > > Lastly, this really isn't a C++ question. Try other appropriate news
> > > groups.

> > > cheers,
> > > Moh

> > Don't implement the data structures yourself, use the ones that are
> > provided by the standard library. I would suggest reading the book "C+
> > + Standard Library - Tutorial and reference". There is a lot of work
> > put in the design of the std data structures so there is no need to
> > reimplement that yourself.

> > aa- Ocultar texto de la cita -

> > - Mostrar texto de la cita -

> actually i should have specified what i want. Sorry. Letīs say i need
> to make some finite element code. I need to use spatial data
> structures. So far i have read the fifth chapter of deitelīs book
> (classes). Do i need to learn all the characteristics of the language
> in order to understand a data structures ? What else, besides classes,
> do i need to read ?

Finite element codes are not easy to handle in a language like C++(a
careful object oriented design, followed by implementation), however
there are many open source C++ finite element projects, where using
one of them for the moment(until you get comfortable with the
language) will be wise.

BTW, for finite element programming MATLAB or OCTAVE seems perfect
alternatives, especially if you have access to a legal version of the
first one.

Best

aaragon 06-22-2008 06:41 PM

On Apr 30, 4:48 pm, utab <umut.ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 10:33 pm, "victor.hera...@gmail.com"
>

> <victor.hera...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Don't implement the data structures yourself, use the ones that are
> > > provided by the standard library. I would suggest reading the book "C+
> > > + Standard Library - Tutorial and reference". There is a lot of work
> > > put in the design of the std data structures so there is no need to
> > > reimplement that yourself.

> > > aa- Ocultar texto de la cita -

> > > - Mostrar texto de la cita -

> > actually i should have specified what i want. Sorry. Letīs say i need
> > to make some finite element code. I need to use spatial data
> > structures. So far i have read the fifth chapter of deitelīs book
> > (classes). Do i need to learn all the characteristics of the language
> > in order to understand a data structures ? What else, besides classes,
> > do i need to read ?

> Finite element codes are not easy to handle in a language like C++(a
> careful object oriented design, followed by implementation), however
> there are many open source C++ finite element projects, where using
> one of them for the moment(until you get comfortable with the
> language) will be wise.
>
> BTW, for finite element programming MATLAB or OCTAVE seems perfect
> alternatives, especially if you have access to a legal version of the
> first one.
>
> Best

I completely disagree with utab's statement. C++ fits perfectly for
finite element codes, specially if it involves a little bit more than
the standard finite element method. I implemented a gfem myself
(generalized or extended finite element method) and C++ is perfect for
it since it involves some heavy computational geometry. On the octave
and matlab sid? Don't even try it!!! Those are interpreted languages,
so even though they are very easy to code, you cannot get a good
performing application out of it. If you are going to use just the
standard fem, you can try fortran since coding in C++ requires you to
have some goodies found in fortran already. I have to code my own
matrix and vector classes because I didn't want to use a library on my
gfem code.

aa