Velocity Reviews

-   -   VLANs with all layer 3 switches (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t608537-vlans-with-all-layer-3-switches.html)

baxao 05-02-2008 03:38 AM

VLANs with all layer 3 switches

I am trying to set up vlans with all layer 3 switches. It will have 4 switches, 2 at the distribution layer and 2 at access layer. The switches at access layer will be dual-home to the switches at the distribution layer.

All the material that I've read, assign vlans to layer 2 switches then use layer 3 switch(es) or router to route between vlans. I am thinking there may be a better way to do it. Since all my switches are layer 3 switches, there may be a way to configure VLAN without layer 2 trunking in order to avoid STP. Please help. Thanks.