Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Western (iso-8859-1) and Unicode (utf-8) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t607527-re-western-iso-8859-1-and-unicode-utf-8-a.html)

catchme 04-25-2008 09:13 AM

Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In order to see Greek character sets it was suggest that I switch from
> Western (ISO-8859-1) to Unicode (utf-8) character encoding. Please
> give me some idea of what happens when I do this. What is the
> difference.
>
> Your teaching is appreciated.

western alphabet characters are one bit, whereas other alphabets have
characters which need 8 bits of information.
there is perhaps a more complex explanation, but this is the one i have
been told, and i think it simple enough to go by.

--
To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
Resist much, obey little,

-Walt Whitman, 1860