Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is this possible? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t607394-is-this-possible.html)

sherry 04-24-2008 07:03 PM

Is this possible?

I am running Windows XP MCE.
My home built PC has 2 network lan adapters.
I currently use one for my home network which includes
a DSL modem and a wireless router for laptop access.

I have another wireless router (G/A). Can I plug that router
into the other network card and have my XBOX wirelessly
access my media center PC via that router?

Would I just run a cable from one of the computer connectors
on the router to the other network adapter?

How would MCE know which network adapter to use?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 04-24-2008 08:00 PM

Re: Is this possible?

Hi
You can connect it like this, Wireless Router as an AP -
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
However you probably do not need the second Wireless Router.
If you have one Wireless Router every Wireless Device on your network can
access through it any other devices on the network provided that the devices
are set to Share resources.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Sherry Crawley 04-24-2008 10:51 PM

Re: Is this possible?

Well, lots of info. here. This could take me a while.
I'm doing this more as an experiment. Not sure if it's
really practical.

I have a wireless router that currently serves all my needs including
handling my XBOX.

I have recently gotten hold of a new Links G/A wireless router. Since the
XBOX runs
on the A band, and it supposedly not used as much, I thought
I would try to configure it, the idea being I would have one network
for the 'business' stuff, and the A router for the XBOX, if that
makes any sense.

Assuming this is possible, I am curious how it works. How does media center
know which network card to handle requests from? I'm a bit fuzzy
on this stuff. I configured my XBOX
to run on this adapter, and I get as far as getting an IP address, but it
stops
when it can't find a media PC. It works fine in the 'old' configuration.
Just curious.

Thanks. I'll start reading.

Barb Bowman 04-25-2008 08:22 AM

Re: Is this possible?

do you have the latest firmware for this router? what model and
hardware rev?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Sherry Crawley 04-26-2008 07:25 PM

Re: Is this possible?

It's a LinkSys A+G Router (WRT55AG)
I've not checked it yet for updates. I'll do that.

Thanks.