Velocity Reviews

-   -   VOIP bandwidth (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t605909-voip-bandwidth.html)

Dave Saville 04-16-2008 09:33 AM

VOIP bandwidth

My ISP provides statistics for my line and IP addresses (I have 8
"real" addresses) as I have my SIP box on a dedicated IP I can see the
usage. It does however appear to be asymetric with the "download"
being very much less than the "upload" 2 or 3 to 1. Is this normal or
does SWMBO talk more than she listens? :-)
--
Regards
Dave Saville

Gordon Henderson 04-16-2008 10:50 AM

Re: VOIP bandwidth

In article <fV45K0OBJxbE-pn2-zFnMqMmpUnuO@localhost>,
Dave Saville <dave@nospam.deezee.org> wrote:
>My ISP provides statistics for my line and IP addresses (I have 8
>"real" addresses) as I have my SIP box on a dedicated IP I can see the
>usage. It does however appear to be asymetric with the "download"
>being very much less than the "upload" 2 or 3 to 1. Is this normal or
>does SWMBO talk more than she listens? :-)

It could be the case if the service you're connecting to supports
silence suppression. Does the actual number make sense - eg. on a 5+
minute call do you see it peaking at 80Kb/sec for example?

Gordon

Chris Davies 04-16-2008 11:24 AM

Re: VOIP bandwidth

Dave Saville <dave@nospam.deezee.org> wrote:
> I have my SIP box on a dedicated IP I can see the usage. It does
> however appear to be asymetric with the "download" being very much
> less than the "upload" 2 or 3 to 1 [...]

Asymmetric codec negotiation?
Chris

Dave Saville 04-16-2008 04:35 PM

Re: VOIP bandwidth

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:50:53 UTC, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+usenet@drogon.net> wrote:

> In article <fV45K0OBJxbE-pn2-zFnMqMmpUnuO@localhost>,
> Dave Saville <dave@nospam.deezee.org> wrote:
> >My ISP provides statistics for my line and IP addresses (I have 8
> >"real" addresses) as I have my SIP box on a dedicated IP I can see the
> >usage. It does however appear to be asymetric with the "download"
> >being very much less than the "upload" 2 or 3 to 1. Is this normal or
> >does SWMBO talk more than she listens? :-)

> It could be the case if the service you're connecting to supports
> silence suppression. Does the actual number make sense - eg. on a 5+
> minute call do you see it peaking at 80Kb/sec for example?

I don't think I can drill down to that sort of detail - The stats are
just daily up/down per IP

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Philippe Deleye 04-17-2008 07:50 PM

Re: VOIP bandwidth

"Chris Davies" <chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk> wrote in message
> Asymmetric codec negotiation?
> Chris

* Indeed, this could be the case. Incoming and outgoing Codecs do not
necessarely have to be the same.
* And of course .... more talking than listening could influence different
up- or download volumes.

News Reader 04-18-2008 04:17 AM

Re: VOIP bandwidth

"Philippe Deleye" <Philippe.Deleye@blablabla.advalvas.be> wrote in message

> "Chris Davies" <chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Asymmetric codec negotiation?
>> Chris

> * Indeed, this could be the case. Incoming and outgoing Codecs do not
> necessarely have to be the same.
> * And of course .... more talking than listening could influence different
> up- or download volumes.

Hi,

Equally, silence suppression on downstream, and off upstream, might be a
factor (and not unknown - on some equipment I turn off local silence
suppression as others complain... whereas with different [e.g. industrial
grade kit], it may not be so noticeable and so can be safely on [such as may
be the case with the downstream or incoming audio with the ITSP in use as
part of your installation / configuration]).

Hope this may be of some help.

Best wishes,

News Reader