Velocity Reviews

-   -   hair light -- need creative help. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t605724-hair-light-need-creative-help.html)

gp photo 04-15-2008 01:34 PM

hair light -- need creative help.

My basement studio has only a 7 foot ceiling but has a little
additional space between the rafters. I have a couple of small hair
lights with barn doors but it is difficult to aim then and when the
model moves, you have to move the lights. I have seen ads for large
soft box type hair lights but I don't have that much room. Has anyone
had a similar problem and been able to solve it? Any advice wold be
greatly appreciated.

Bigguy 04-16-2008 08:45 AM

Re: hair light -- need creative help.

gp photo wrote:
> My basement studio has only a 7 foot ceiling but has a little
> additional space between the rafters. I have a couple of small hair
> lights with barn doors but it is difficult to aim then and when the
> model moves, you have to move the lights. I have seen ads for large
> soft box type hair lights but I don't have that much room. Has anyone
> had a similar problem and been able to solve it? Any advice wold be
> greatly appreciated.

If you can't raise the ceiling you could lower the floor.... where's
that spade ;-)

Guy

Malcolm Smith 04-17-2008 02:56 AM

Re: hair light -- need creative help.

I solved this by using a strobe with a hard light (aluminium) reflector and
reflect off the ceiling (which must be painted white). If you don't have a
white ceiling (only beams) put up a sheet of foamcore. Put the strobe to
the side and a little behind the subject and adjust to give at subjects head
about 1 stop less than your main light will be but do this with the main
light off. The model can move a little bit.

Malcolm

gp photo 04-18-2008 06:53 PM

Re: hair light -- need creative help.

On Apr 16, 10:56 pm, "Malcolm Smith" <malco...@ember-razement.com.au>
wrote:
> I solved this by using a strobe with a hard light (aluminium) reflector and
> reflect off the ceiling (which must be painted white). If you don't have a
> white ceiling (only beams) put up a sheet of foamcore. Put the strobe to
> the side and a little behind the subject and adjust to give at subjects head
> about 1 stop less than your main light will be but do this with the main
> light off. The model can move a little bit.
>
> Malcolm

Thanks for the useful advise.