Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firefox and Tbird can't access web/mailserver IE works ok (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t605254-firefox-and-tbird-cant-access-web-mailserver-ie-works-ok.html)

Angus McCoatup 04-12-2008 03:17 PM

Firefox and Tbird can't access web/mailserver IE works ok

Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither do.
IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
computer.
I've cleared the cache and checked all settings.
The machine was last used yesterday, switched off and turned on again an
hour ago since when it's all gone pear-shaped.
Anyone any idea what's gone wrong?

TIA

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-12-2008 03:57 PM

Re: Firefox and Tbird can't access web/mailserver IE works ok

Angus McCoatup wrote:

> Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither do.

More details are needed. What don't they do? Don't start up? Don't
browse or send mail and posts?

The two programs are companions, but are not physically entwined like IE
and OE. Both should not break at the same time for the same reason.

> IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
> computer.

IE is a browser.

> I've cleared the cache and checked all settings.

Cache for what? AFAIK, Thunderbird doesn't have a "cache." What are
"all settings?"

> The machine was last used yesterday, switched off and turned on again
> an hour ago since when it's all gone pear-shaped. Anyone any idea
> what's gone wrong?

Post details. Otherwise, any proposed solutions are just guesswork.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

Evan Platt 04-12-2008 04:09 PM

Re: Firefox and Tbird can't access web/mailserver IE works ok

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:17:22 GMT, Angus McCoatup
<mahatma@mailinator.com> wrote:

>Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither do.
> IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
>computer.

Huh? IE works fine as does firefox and tbird, but you said firefox and
thunderbird doesn't work.. So which is it?

Angus McCoatup 04-12-2008 04:11 PM

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Angus McCoatup wrote:
>
>> Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither do.

> More details are needed. What don't they do? Don't start up? Don't
> browse or send mail and posts?
>
> The two programs are companions, but are not physically entwined like IE
> and OE. Both should not break at the same time for the same reason.
>
>> IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
>> computer.

> IE is a browser.
>
>> I've cleared the cache and checked all settings.

> Cache for what? AFAIK, Thunderbird doesn't have a "cache." What are
> "all settings?"
>
>> The machine was last used yesterday, switched off and turned on again
>> an hour ago since when it's all gone pear-shaped. Anyone any idea
>> what's gone wrong?

> Post details. Otherwise, any proposed solutions are just guesswork.

Firefox starts normally but won't access any web pages.
IE on the same computer does access web pages as normal
I cleared the FIREFOX cache as advised on a google search but it didn't
help.
Thunderbird starts normally but won't access mail or news servers, I get
a message telling me to check the settings, which I have.
I hadn't tried Outlook cos I don't use it but I gave it a go and it
won't access mail or news either.
Worked fine when last used yesterday morning, computer was switched off
and when switched on again this afternoon...problems. Nothing has
been added or deleted. The machine is running XP Pro.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-12-2008 04:16 PM

Evan Platt wrote:

> Angus McCoatup wrote:
>> Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither
>> do. IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on
>> this computer.

> Huh? IE works fine as does firefox and tbird, but you said firefox
> and thunderbird doesn't work.. So which is it?

I read that as: "IE on the *same* computer works fine as does firefox
and tbird on *this* computer." Two computers, the broken one, and the
one he is posting with.

Angus McCoatup 04-12-2008 04:17 PM

Re: Firefox and Tbird can't access web/mailserver IE works ok noteto Evan

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:17:22 GMT, Angus McCoatup
> <mahatma@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>> Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither do.
>> IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
>> computer.

> Huh? IE works fine as does firefox and tbird, but you said firefox and
> thunderbird doesn't work.. So which is it?#

Oops, two different computers! This one works fine as I can read and
write to newsgroups. The one with the problems is only used for email,
newsgroups and web browsing.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-12-2008 04:51 PM

Angus McCoatup wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Angus McCoatup wrote:
>>> Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither
>>> do.

>> More details are needed. What don't they do? Don't start up? Don't
>> browse or send mail and posts?
>>
>> The two programs are companions, but are not physically entwined
>> like IE and OE. Both should not break at the same time for the same
>> reason.
>>
>>> IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
>>> computer.

>> IE is a browser.
>>
>>> I've cleared the cache and checked all settings.

>> Cache for what? AFAIK, Thunderbird doesn't have a "cache." What are
>> "all settings?"
>>
>>> The machine was last used yesterday, switched off and turned on
>>> again an hour ago since when it's all gone pear-shaped. Anyone any
>>> idea what's gone wrong?

>> Post details. Otherwise, any proposed solutions are just guesswork.
>>

> Firefox starts normally but won't access any web pages.
> IE on the same computer does access web pages as normal

Let's work on Firefox first. Close it. From the Start > Run command
type: firefox.exe -ProfileManager
and press Enter. Assuming you only have one profile, click
"Create Profile". Go through the Wizard, naming the new one
"Experimental" or similar.

Close the Manager, start Firefox normally and choose the new profile.
Does it work?

> I cleared the FIREFOX cache as advised on a google search but it
> didn't help. Thunderbird starts normally but won't access mail or
> news servers, I get a message telling me to check the settings, which
> I have.

> I hadn't tried Outlook cos I don't use it but I gave it a go and it
> won't access mail or news either.

Oh, there's a clue!
(But do you mean Outlook (OL) or Outlook Express (OE)?)

Can you do a System Restore to yesterday?

Angus McCoatup 04-12-2008 06:16 PM

Re: Firefox and Tbird can't access web/mailserver IE works ok

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Angus McCoatup wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>> More details are needed. What don't they do? Don't start up? Don't
>>> browse or send mail and posts?
>>>
>>> The two programs are companions, but are not physically entwined
>>> like IE and OE. Both should not break at the same time for the same
>>> reason.

>>> IE is a browser.

>>> Cache for what? AFAIK, Thunderbird doesn't have a "cache." What are
>>> "all settings?"

>>> Post details. Otherwise, any proposed solutions are just guesswork.
>>>

>> Firefox starts normally but won't access any web pages.
>> IE on the same computer does access web pages as normal

> Let's work on Firefox first. Close it. From the Start > Run command
> type: firefox.exe -ProfileManager
> and press Enter. Assuming you only have one profile, click
> "Create Profile". Go through the Wizard, naming the new one
> "Experimental" or similar.
>
> Close the Manager, start Firefox normally and choose the new profile.
> Does it work?
>
>> I cleared the FIREFOX cache as advised on a google search but it
>> didn't help. Thunderbird starts normally but won't access mail or
>> news servers, I get a message telling me to check the settings, which
>> I have.

>> I hadn't tried Outlook cos I don't use it but I gave it a go and it
>> won't access mail or news either.

> Oh, there's a clue!
> (But do you mean Outlook (OL) or Outlook Express (OE)?)
>
> Can you do a System Restore to yesterday?

I just copied (cut and paste) the mail and news settings from
thunderbird into outlook express. It (OE) now works fine with both news
and mail. As IE also works it must be something to do with Tbird and
Firefox specifically. The computer is connected to the router via
wi-fi. I just tried the laptop which also connects to the router via
wi-fi and both Tbird and Firefox work OK on that.
System restore was switched off, no idea why, I turned it on but
obviously can't do a restore, which might have worked. :(

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-12-2008 07:53 PM

Re: Firefox and Tbird can't access web/mailserver IE works ok

Angus McCoatup wrote:
<biggasnip>
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Can you do a System Restore to yesterday?

> I just copied (cut and paste) the mail and news settings from
> thunderbird into outlook express. It (OE) now works fine with both
> news and mail. As IE also works it must be something to do with
> Tbird and Firefox specifically. The computer is connected to the
> router via wi-fi. I just tried the laptop which also connects to the
> router via wi-fi and both Tbird and Firefox work OK on that.

I still cannot think of any one thing that would tie a failure of both
Firefox and Thunderbird together. They are separate applications.

> System restore was switched off, no idea why, I turned it on but
> obviously can't do a restore, which might have worked. :(

Oh.

Asking the obvious, have you checked any firewall to see if it is
blocking the two apps?

Try uninstalling, then reinstalling Firefox, or Thunderbird. One only
first... (your mail is in the profile, not with the program)

Plato 04-14-2008 11:29 PM

Angus McCoatup wrote:

> Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither do.
> IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
> computer.
> I've cleared the cache and checked all settings.
> The machine was last used yesterday, switched off and turned on again an
> hour ago since when it's all gone pear-shaped.
> Anyone any idea what's gone wrong?

bad sector on the HDD???

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/