Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows cannot find network: Wireless (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t605031-windows-cannot-find-network-wireless.html)

Curt in Budapest 04-11-2008 12:59 PM

Windows cannot find network: Wireless

Dell Ispiron 1420 - almost brand new. Vista Home. A collegue from another
office brings it to me.
It cannot see my wireless network! (It can't see it in her office either)

(I verify that it is on, check all the settings - It can't see a thing.)
Cable network connection works perfectly.
I bring it to my computer dealer - same thing. He thinks setting are fine.
I do Dell connect over the internet - Yes Dell says, it is fine.

Obviously a hardware problem - right? . . . Sigh.
My desktop computer (asus m2n32-sli deluxe) also has wireless. (Vista Prof.)
It worked perfectly. Well, until I had to re-install it.
Now it doesn't matter how many times I load the driver - it cannot see the
wireless network.

Two computers - exact same symptoms. And a hardware problem is very doubtfull.
(Last fall I also had wireless issues on two computers- no ip address that
time)

My bets are on Vista or Vista Update. Or some needle in a haystack setting.

Help me Vista people - you are my only hope.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\) 04-11-2008 05:53 PM

Re: Windows cannot find network: Wireless

What do they mean "it is fine". Do you receive a signal? If yes, post back
with the result of ipconfig /all.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

smlunatick 04-11-2008 06:18 PM

Re: Windows cannot find network: Wireless

On Apr 11, 8:59*am, Curt in Budapest
<CurtinBudap...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Dell Ispiron 1420 - almost brand new. Vista Home. A collegue from another
> office brings it to me.
> It cannot see my wireless network! (It can't see it in her office either)
>
> (I verify that it is on, check all the settings - It can't see a thing.)
> Cable network connection works perfectly.
> I bring it to my computer dealer - same thing. He thinks setting are fine.
> I do Dell connect over the internet - Yes Dell says, it is fine.
>
> Obviously a hardware problem - right? . . . Sigh.
> My desktop computer (asus m2n32-sli deluxe) also has wireless. (Vista Prof..)
> It worked perfectly. *Well, until I had to re-install it.
> Now it doesn't matter how many times I load the driver - it cannot see the
> wireless network.
>
> Two computers - exact same symptoms. And a hardware problem is very doubtfull.
> (Last fall I also had wireless issues on two computers- no ip address that
> time)
>
> My bets are on Vista or Vista Update. Or some needle in a haystack setting..
>
> Help me Vista people - you are my only hope.

I seem to recall that there was info on the web stating that Vista may
have problems accessing routers. Several routers were not directly
compatible with Vista. Some offered firmware updates and some other
info stated a work-around to make Vista work, Not sure if this was
wired or wireless routers in general.

Curt in Budapest 04-14-2008 09:39 AM

Re: Windows cannot find network: Wireless

THANKS!!!!
1. Other computers are connected to the wireless. This one too (well, a
month ago before I reinstalled Vista)
2. IPConfig says it is disconnected. Well it is no surprise since it "can't
find" a network to connect to. Last September it would connect but leave me
with an 0.0.0.0 ip so your question is solid. (See below)
3. Do I receive a signal? Signal is all around. Vista's response says it
can't find a network - so it is either telling me (and thinking) that it
can't find a signal or a network or both. Perhaps if I installed a third
party software or some diagnostic program i could tell more. I'm open to
experimenting if you have more ideas on what kind.

I appreciate your help greatly!

I disabled my lan to get this ipconfig:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : EEHQ-VFenz
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : EEAOA.NET
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : EEAOA.NET

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area
Network) #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-E7-50-02-72
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g
54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-AF-01-CB-50
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-C4-54-7D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{314A05D3-C059-4899-9360-F86C677511C2}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{1ACAC6A4-3029-4C0D-829E-8B0A363D822B}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4