Velocity Reviews

-   -   Questions about Memory Error -- The use of Memtest (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t604975-questions-about-memory-error-the-use-of-memtest.html)

penang@freemail.c3.hu 04-11-2008 04:37 AM

Questions about Memory Error -- The use of Memtest

Need help here !

My PC has 2 DDR2 memory modules, 1GB each, for a total of 2GB RAM.

The OS is WinXP.

For the past few days, the PC kind of halting. Sometimes the cursor
kind of not responding, sometimes some other things happened,
indicating that something is terribly wrong --- most probably a MEMORY
error.

I downloaded 3 memtest programs,
1 from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/,
1 from http://www.memtest86.com/download.html,
1 from http://www.memtest.org/

First test -

Booted up the PC with the Memtest bootCD from www.memtest86.com.
Ran the test overnight.

No error !

Went back to Windows, the halting problems cropped up. So I ran a
second test.

Second test -

Booted up the PC with the Memtest bootCD from www.memtest.org.
Ran the test overnight again.

Again, No error !

Went back to Windows, again the halting problems !! So the 3rd test.

I drop XP to safe mode with command prompt, then call up 2 instances
of the memtest from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/, each checking
918MB.

Result - Errors !

Memory Errors Detected !
Copying between 4c21c71 and 4c2193a did not result in accurate copy.

Memory Errors Detected !
Pair 19897713 does not store values accurately.

Memory Errors Detected !
Copying between 5547871 and 5547832 did not result in accurate copy.

Memory Errors Detected !
Copying between 4c32471 and 4c323a2 did not result in accurate copy.

Memory Errors Detected !
Copying between 36f8071 and 36f8060a did not result in accurate copy.

Memory Errors Detected !
Copying between 4c32471 and 4c322d9 did not result in accurate copy.

Conclusion:
Something wrong with the DDR2 memory module !

Problem:
Which module giving out errors?

I got one of the DDR2 module out. Ran the memtest from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
-- no error.

Switch the sticks to test the other DDR2 module. Ran the memtest from
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ -- again no error !

Now I'm totally confused. Why when I ran the test with both DDR2
modules, I got errors, and no error when I ran the modules one at a
time??

So I ran the bootCD memtest test again, this time with one module at a
time. Again no error on both runs !

What am I doing wrong here? How am I going to locate which module that
is giving out errors? Can anyone help out please?

Thank you !

catchme 04-11-2008 11:06 AM

Re: Questions about Memory Error -- The use of Memtest

penang@freemail.c3.hu wrote:
> Need help here !
>
> My PC has 2 DDR2 memory modules, 1GB each, for a total of 2GB RAM.
>
> The OS is WinXP.
>
> For the past few days, the PC kind of halting. Sometimes the cursor
> kind of not responding, sometimes some other things happened,
> indicating that something is terribly wrong --- most probably a MEMORY
> error.
>
> I downloaded 3 memtest programs,
> 1 from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/,
> 1 from http://www.memtest86.com/download.html,
> 1 from http://www.memtest.org/
>
> First test -
>
> Booted up the PC with the Memtest bootCD from www.memtest86.com.
> Ran the test overnight.
>
> No error !
>
> Went back to Windows, the halting problems cropped up. So I ran a
> second test.
>
> Second test -
>
> Booted up the PC with the Memtest bootCD from www.memtest.org.
> Ran the test overnight again.
>
> Again, No error !
>

> Went back to Windows, again the halting problems !! So the 3rd test.
>
> I drop XP to safe mode with command prompt, then call up 2 instances
> of the memtest from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/, each checking
> 918MB.
>
> Result - Errors !
>
> Memory Errors Detected !
> Copying between 4c21c71 and 4c2193a did not result in accurate copy.
>
> Memory Errors Detected !
> Pair 19897713 does not store values accurately.
>
> Memory Errors Detected !
> Copying between 5547871 and 5547832 did not result in accurate copy.
>
> Memory Errors Detected !
> Copying between 4c32471 and 4c323a2 did not result in accurate copy.
>
> Memory Errors Detected !
> Copying between 36f8071 and 36f8060a did not result in accurate copy.
>
> Memory Errors Detected !
> Copying between 4c32471 and 4c322d9 did not result in accurate copy.
>
> Conclusion:
> Something wrong with the DDR2 memory module !
>
> Problem:
> Which module giving out errors?
>
> I got one of the DDR2 module out. Ran the memtest from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
> -- no error.
>
> Switch the sticks to test the other DDR2 module. Ran the memtest from
> http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ -- again no error !
>
> Now I'm totally confused. Why when I ran the test with both DDR2
> modules, I got errors, and no error when I ran the modules one at a
> time??
>
> So I ran the bootCD memtest test again, this time with one module at a
> time. Again no error on both runs !
>
> What am I doing wrong here? How am I going to locate which module that
> is giving out errors? Can anyone help out please?
>
> Thank you !

read your mainboard's specifications carefully.
some boards will require that one slot be less capacity than the
other(s) when paired with one or more module, or have other niggling
details that you might need to ponder over.

--
To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
Resist much, obey little,

-Walt Whitman, 1860

spodosaurus 04-11-2008 11:13 AM

penang@freemail.c3.hu wrote:
> Need help here !
>
> My PC has 2 DDR2 memory modules, 1GB each, for a total of 2GB RAM.
>
> The OS is WinXP.
>
> For the past few days, the PC kind of halting. Sometimes the cursor
> kind of not responding, sometimes some other things happened,
> indicating that something is terribly wrong --- most probably a MEMORY
> error.
>
> I downloaded 3 memtest programs,
> 1 from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/,
> 1 from http://www.memtest86.com/download.html,
> 1 from http://www.memtest.org/
>
> First test -
>
> Booted up the PC with the Memtest bootCD from www.memtest86.com.
> Ran the test overnight.
>
> No error !
>
> Went back to Windows, the halting problems cropped up. So I ran a
> second test.
>
> Second test -
>
> Booted up the PC with the Memtest bootCD from www.memtest.org.
> Ran the test overnight again.
>
> Again, No error !
>

> Went back to Windows, again the halting problems !! So the 3rd test.
>
> I drop XP to safe mode with command prompt, then call up 2 instances
> of the memtest from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/, each checking
> 918MB.
>
> Result - Errors !
>
> Memory Errors Detected !
> Copying between 4c21c71 and 4c2193a did not result in accurate copy.
>
> Memory Errors Detected !
> Pair 19897713 does not store values accurately.
>
> Memory Errors Detected !
> Copying between 5547871 and 5547832 did not result in accurate copy.
>
> Memory Errors Detected !
> Copying between 4c32471 and 4c323a2 did not result in accurate copy.
>
> Memory Errors Detected !
> Copying between 36f8071 and 36f8060a did not result in accurate copy.
>
> Memory Errors Detected !
> Copying between 4c32471 and 4c322d9 did not result in accurate copy.
>
> Conclusion:
> Something wrong with the DDR2 memory module !
>
> Problem:
> Which module giving out errors?
>
> I got one of the DDR2 module out. Ran the memtest from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
> -- no error.
>
> Switch the sticks to test the other DDR2 module. Ran the memtest from
> http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ -- again no error !
>
> Now I'm totally confused. Why when I ran the test with both DDR2
> modules, I got errors, and no error when I ran the modules one at a
> time??
>
> So I ran the bootCD memtest test again, this time with one module at a
> time. Again no error on both runs !
>
> What am I doing wrong here? How am I going to locate which module that
> is giving out errors? Can anyone help out please?
>
> Thank you !

So the only time this error pops up is from within windows?

I'm assuming you let the memtest cdrom do it's thing for more than one
pass, right?

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

penang@freemail.c3.hu 04-11-2008 02:52 PM

On Apr 11, 4:13 am, spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

> So the only time this error pops up is from within windows?

Actually there's no error message by XP. It's just the halting
problems that brought up my suspicions.

The "Error message" I got is from the memtest program that I got from
hcidesign.

> I'm assuming you let the memtest cdrom do it's thing for more than one
> pass, right?

Yep. Ran the memtest cdrom thing overnight, for 4 nights. 2 nights
each for memtest86 v 3.4 and for memtest86+ v 2.01

No error whatsoever from both versions.

penang@freemail.c3.hu 04-11-2008 02:55 PM

On Apr 11, 4:06 am, catchme <some...@somewhere.net> wrote:
> [...]

> > -- no error.

> > Switch the sticks to test the other DDR2 module. Ran the memtest from
> >http://hcidesign.com/memtest/-- again no error !

> > Now I'm totally confused. Why when I ran the test with both DDR2
> > modules, I got errors, and no error when I ran the modules one at a
> > time??

> > So I ran the bootCD memtest test again, this time with one module at a
> > time. Again no error on both runs !

> > What am I doing wrong here? How am I going to locate which module that
> > is giving out errors? Can anyone help out please?

> > Thank you !

> read your mainboard's specifications carefully.
> some boards will require that one slot be less capacity than the
> other(s) when paired with one or more module, or have other niggling
> details that you might need to ponder over.

Re-read the owner's manual, no such mention at all. Got online and
check the mobo manufacturer's site, also no such mention.

The mobo got 2 slots for DDR2 module. Maximum is 2GB X 2, for a total
of 4GB.

On my PC, I populate it with 1GB X 2.

penang@freemail.c3.hu 04-11-2008 03:02 PM

On Apr 10, 10:26 pm, kony <s...@spam.com> wrote:
> [...]

> You didn't tell us exactly what memory you have, what
> timings it's spec'd for, nor what timings you are running.
> "CPU-Z" can show you what info it read from the memory prom
> and often what speed it's running at for a reference.
>

> >So I ran the bootCD memtest test again, this time with one module at a
> >time. Again no error on both runs !

> >What am I doing wrong here? How am I going to locate which module that
> >is giving out errors? Can anyone help out please?

> If you have more than two memory slots you might also try
> leaving a different one empty, or if it's running in dual
> channel mode try in single channel mode - though it may be a
> performance hit but besides raising voltage all the other
> typical things you'd change to regain stability are also
> minor performance hits. The other option is manually
> setting a slower memory bus frequency, whether it be a ratio

There are only 2 memory slots and I use both of them.

Have also tried to alter the speed. The mobo is rated for 800MHz front-
side-bus, and both the DDR2 modules are also rated 800Mhz. I have
tried different configurations -- from 400MHz to 533MHz to 667MHz but
all come down with errors.

I've even tried disabling the L1/L2 cache trying to pinpoint the
problem. Even with that severe performance hit, still the error comes
up.

I've also tried disabling the PCI settings on the BIOS. No luck
either.

At first I thought it was the RAM module. Then I thought it was the
mobo. Now I dunno what to think.

> Also examine the board for failed capacitors, bad power can
> cause errors. Are you sure this system with this memory
> previously ran ok or is it possible it had errors since the
> first moment these memory modules were both installed?

I eyeballed the mobo. No sign of capacitor fault. I even tried
changing the power supply, but still no luck.

I'm going to get 2 new DDR2 modules this weekend. I will run the tests
again and will see if the problem is still there. If it's there, then
it's the mobo. If the problems go away, then it is in the RAM module
(one or both).

spodosaurus 04-11-2008 03:16 PM

penang@freemail.c3.hu wrote:
> On Apr 11, 4:13 am, spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>
>> So the only time this error pops up is from within windows?

> Actually there's no error message by XP. It's just the halting
> problems that brought up my suspicions.
>
> The "Error message" I got is from the memtest program that I got from
> hcidesign.

*sigh*

The hcidesign program runs under windows, right?

zach 04-11-2008 07:29 PM

On Apr 11, 9:16*am, spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
> pen...@freemail.c3.hu wrote:
> > On Apr 11, 4:13 am, spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

> >> So the only time this error pops up is from within windows?

> > Actually there's no error message by XP. It's just the halting
> > problems that brought up my suspicions.

> > The "Error message" I got is from the memtest program that I got from
> > hcidesign.

> *sigh*
>
> The hcidesign program runs under windows, right?
>

> >> I'm assuming you let the memtest cdrom do it's thing for more than one
> >> pass, right?

> > Yep. Ran the memtest cdrom thing overnight, for 4 nights. 2 nights
> > each for memtest86 v 3.4 and for memtest86+ v 2.01

> > No error whatsoever from both versions.

> --
> spammage trappage: remove the underscores to reply
> Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
> volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:http://www.abmdr.org.au/http://www.marrow.org/

I like the HD test suggestion by Bob, but I have had problems like
yours in the past setting up a PC, I had actually 4gb in there, and i
had game crashes, windows problems, the whole works. I was stumped for
ever and about to give up, when i came across a new memory test,
called Orthos, you can just google search it, "Orthos memory test" the
application also will over clock CPU, which in your case you won't
probably need, and you can set options so it won't, I had mem test
come clean over 36hours w/o errors, this ran for about 10minuts, and
picked up errors, i hope this helps, good luck

chuckcar 04-11-2008 08:38 PM

Re: Questions about Memory Error -- The use of Memtest

penang@freemail.c3.hu wrote in

> Need help here !
>
> My PC has 2 DDR2 memory modules, 1GB each, for a total of 2GB RAM.
>
> The OS is WinXP.
>
> For the past few days, the PC kind of halting. Sometimes the cursor
> kind of not responding, sometimes some other things happened,
> indicating that something is terribly wrong --- most probably a MEMORY
> error.

Have you tried disabling your startup programs to see if that is the
cause. First eliminate software and then pinpoint hardware problems.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 04-12-2008 02:31 AM

penang@freemail.c3.hu wrote:

>For the past few days, the PC kind of halting. Sometimes the cursor
>kind of not responding, sometimes some other things happened,
>indicating that something is terribly wrong

You get an errors like can't write memory to location #### ?

This can be caused by DEP, turn it off for the program(s) your having
problems with. http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips566.html
--

Amiga Tribute, with help from GLaDOS
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9mg6wrYCT9Q