Velocity Reviews

-   -   Linksys pap2 lights continually flashing? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t604472-linksys-pap2-lights-continually-flashing.html)

Chris Lewis 04-07-2008 07:08 PM

Linksys pap2 lights continually flashing?

I recently purchased a linksys pap2 voip adapter from ebay. The adapter
worked fine for a day but now there seems to be a problem. The power light
flashes red and the two line lights flash blue.
I cannot access the adapter through the http panel and there is no dial tone
through the phone line.
Any ideas please?

Chris Lewis 04-07-2008 08:31 PM

Re: Linksys pap2 lights continually flashing?

"Jono" <nothanks@blueyonder.invalid> wrote in message
news:mn.3cdb7d84bf075bdd.88534@blueyonder.invalid. ..
> Chris Lewis expressed precisely :
>> I recently purchased a linksys pap2 voip adapter from ebay. The adapter
>> worked fine for a day but now there seems to be a problem. The power
>> light flashes red and the two line lights flash blue.
>> I cannot access the adapter through the http panel and there is no dial
>> tone through the phone line.
>> Any ideas please?

> What happened when you power cycled it?
>
> Even though you have no dialtone, does dialing **** yield the IVR?

I have tried re-powering but it's the same, lights still flashing. No
response with the ****, line is dead!

Roger Mills 04-08-2008 10:48 AM

Chris Lewis <nospam@.com> wrote:

> I recently purchased a linksys pap2 voip adapter from ebay. The
> adapter worked fine for a day but now there seems to be a problem.
> The power light flashes red and the two line lights flash blue.
> I cannot access the adapter through the http panel and there is no
> dial tone through the phone line.
> Any ideas please?

The PAP2 should have come with a user guide on CD. Did it? If not, you may
be able to download one from the Linksys website.

FWIW, my manual says:
"The Power LED remains solid green when the Phone Adapter is powered on and
ready. It
flashes when the Phone Adapter is booting up, undergoing a self-test, or
performing a
firmware upgrade. If the LED lights up red, the Phone Adapter has failed its
self-test or is
malfunctioning. Refer to “Appendix A: Troubleshooting” for more
information."
--
Cheers,
Roger

Nick 04-08-2008 04:17 PM

"Roger Mills" <watt.tyler@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> Chris Lewis <nospam@.com> wrote:
>
> > I recently purchased a linksys pap2 voip adapter from ebay. The
> > adapter worked fine for a day but now there seems to be a problem.
> > The power light flashes red and the two line lights flash blue.
> > I cannot access the adapter through the http panel and there is no
> > dial tone through the phone line.
> > Any ideas please?

> The PAP2 should have come with a user guide on CD. Did it? If not, you may
> be able to download one from the Linksys website.
>
> FWIW, my manual says:
> "The Power LED remains solid green when the Phone Adapter is powered on

and
> ready. It
> flashes when the Phone Adapter is booting up, undergoing a self-test, or
> performing a
> firmware upgrade. If the LED lights up red, the Phone Adapter has failed

its
> self-test or is
> malfunctioning. Refer to "Appendix A: Troubleshooting" for more
> information."
> --
> Cheers,
> Roger
> ______
> Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
> monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
> PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

My guess is that you've bought a PAP2 that was originally locked to
a VoIP provider. Someone has "unlocked it" and then sold it on.
However, for whatever reason, the PAP2 has been reset and at that
point gone to the original providers website to download the latest
firmware. It is more than probable you now have a PAP2 /BRICK.

Chris Lewis 04-08-2008 04:34 PM

Roger Mills 04-08-2008 05:05 PM

Re: Linksys pap2 lights continually flashing?

Chris Lewis <nospam@.com> wrote:

> It's the first time I have heard of this problem
> for unlocked adapters. Is there a way to prevent this from happening
> again?

Yes - buy one that's never been locked to a VoIP provider, from a reputable
supplier such as broadbandbuyer.co.uk
--
Cheers,
Roger

Nick² 04-13-2008 09:32 PM

> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> Chris Lewis <nospam@.com> wrote:
>
> > It's the first time I have heard of this problem
> > for unlocked adapters. Is there a way to prevent this from happening
> > again?

> Yes - buy one that's never been locked to a VoIP provider, from a

reputable
> supplier such as broadbandbuyer.co.uk
> --
> Cheers,
> Roger
> ______
> Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
> monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
> PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

I concur, having learnt the hard way.