Velocity Reviews

-   -   Belkin N wireless router help (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t604466-belkin-n-wireless-router-help.html)

Soundbytes 04-07-2008 06:34 PM

Belkin N wireless router help

Hello
Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is cable
wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the
wireless ones.

Anyone know what the problem is?

All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
worked fine with the last router.

Thanks

Gordon

why? 04-07-2008 07:44 PM

Re: Belkin N wireless router help

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:34:10 GMT, Soundbytes wrote:

Another one, you don't appear to be the owner of home.com domain so
unless they have allowed you to use thier mail server, think about it.

Try reading this about avoiding spam in newsgroups,
http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...oting_howavoid
or shorter
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yoe4wn

>Hello
> Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
>was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
>warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
>works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is cable
>wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
>straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
>have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
>turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
>address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the

Guessing the wireless PCs are okay if hardwired to the new router?

The difference between the output of

ipconfig/all

run on your computer, a wireless computer before repair and after are?

>wireless ones.
>
>Anyone know what the problem is?

If it's not sig strength, encryption and basic wireless config. Is the
IP range for DHCP on the new router the same as the old router?

Is the DHCP lease time 1 day, 1 week or whatever the new Belkin default
is?

>All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
>worked fine with the last router.

If you assign 1 of the wireless systems a static IP in the new router
range does it work?

Assume the new router (192.168.0.1) has a DHCP range 192.168.0.2 to
192.168.0.100 [you should be able to sets this to cope with just your
few machines]. Set a wireless PC to static (manual IP address)
192.168.0.120 , gateway as the router 192.168.0.1 and whatever the
subnet mask is and DNS servers, get those from the working ipconfig/all.

If this works after reboots on 1 or more wireless systems then it's
related to DHCP issues, perhaps a firewall not allowing initial
connection. Maybe it's a driver not loading fast enough.

Do the ipconfig/all check and aet at least 1 wireless system to a static
IP address.

Me

Soundbytes 04-07-2008 08:24 PM

Re: Belkin N wireless router help

>Hello
> Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
>was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
>warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
>works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is
>cable
>wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
>straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
>have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
>turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
>address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the

Guessing the wireless PCs are okay if hardwired to the new router?

All work ok when wired

The difference between the output of

ipconfig/all

run on your computer, a wireless computer before repair and after are?

>wireless ones.
>
>Anyone know what the problem is?

If it's not sig strength, encryption and basic wireless config. Is the
IP range for DHCP on the new router the same as the old router?

Yes

Is the DHCP lease time 1 day, 1 week or whatever the new Belkin default
is?

Lease time is "Forever"

>All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
>worked fine with the last router.

If you assign 1 of the wireless systems a static IP in the new router
range does it work?

already did that, I restarted the PC and it worked straight away, then came
back switched it on an hour later and had the same problem

Assume the new router (192.168.0.1) has a DHCP range 192.168.0.2 to
192.168.0.100 [you should be able to sets this to cope with just your
few machines]. Set a wireless PC to static (manual IP address)
192.168.0.120 , gateway as the router 192.168.0.1 and whatever the
subnet mask is and DNS servers, get those from the working ipconfig/all.

If this works after reboots on 1 or more wireless systems then it's
related to DHCP issues, perhaps a firewall not allowing initial
connection. Maybe it's a driver not loading fast enough.

Do the ipconfig/all check and aet at least 1 wireless system to a static
IP address.

Me

Hi Me
Thanks for the help (also about the email address, I never thought about
that OOPS)

OK everything seems to check out OK, I did give one wireless system a static
ip and it worked for the first couple of restarts but when left for an hour
it had the same problem.
There is one thing I would like to ask before I try it, the router has a
wi-fi protected set up which is enabled, would it be ok to disable it or
more to the point could this be the problem? also a feature called WAN ping
blocking, which is also enabled could that be the problem? (I really don't
think it is that but it's worth asking I think) also I did notice when I did
ipconfig/all that ip routing enabled = No

anyway Me, thanks for the help so far.

Cheers

Dan C 04-07-2008 10:02 PM

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:24:31 +0000, Soundbytes wrote:

> Thanks for the help (also about the email address, I never thought about
> that OOPS)

The one you're using now is no better. How do you know someone hasn't
registered that domain (or will at some time in the future). The proper
way to handle this is to use a fake email address that ends in "invalid",
as mine is for example.

why? 04-07-2008 10:22 PM

Re: Belkin N wireless router help

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:24:31 GMT, Soundbytes wrote:

:-) you could fix your quoting > in replies and avoid the while .com
issue in the email addy, it's not needed and someday somebody could
register wits-end-again.com :-( like in 5 minutes.....

It's a bit difficult to follow reples to any questions when at the same
level as the answers,

at least it's inline question / answer pairs.

>>Hello
>> Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
>>was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
>>warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
>>works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is
>>cable
>>wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
>>straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
>>have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
>>turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
>>address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the

>Guessing the wireless PCs are okay if hardwired to the new router?
>
>All work ok when wired

Fine, not less likely router.

>The difference between the output of
>
>ipconfig/all
>
>run on your computer, a wireless computer before repair and after are?
>
>>wireless ones.
>>
>>Anyone know what the problem is?

>If it's not sig strength, encryption and basic wireless config. Is the
>IP range for DHCP on the new router the same as the old router?
>
>Yes
>
>Is the DHCP lease time 1 day, 1 week or whatever the new Belkin default
>is?
>
>Lease time is "Forever"

So Win should just be verifying a lease it has, although still goes
through the DHCP request.

Not usually a good idea, hours or weeks and remember to set up SSID, MAC
address filtering.

>>All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
>>worked fine with the last router.

>If you assign 1 of the wireless systems a static IP in the new router
>range does it work?
>
>already did that, I restarted the PC and it worked straight away, then came
>back switched it on an hour later and had the same problem

Always an hour, power saver options disables WIFI NIC? SO no service
pack / patch updates. Perhaps change the power scheme on a wireless PC
to always on.

What about the Windows event logs, check for entries when it doesn't
reconnect.

>Assume the new router (192.168.0.1) has a DHCP range 192.168.0.2 to
>192.168.0.100 [you should be able to sets this to cope with just your
>few machines]. Set a wireless PC to static (manual IP address)

<snip>

>Do the ipconfig/all check and aet at least 1 wireless system to a static
>IP address.
>
>Me
>
>Hi Me
> Thanks for the help (also about the email address, I never thought about
>that OOPS)
>
>OK everything seems to check out OK, I did give one wireless system a static
>ip and it worked for the first couple of restarts but when left for an hour

If it's always an hour then check wireless PC WIFI NIC options and
router log. The 1st renew of an IP addy isn't an hour. Unless the lease
time in ipconfig/all isn't showing as forever even after a repair.

>it had the same problem.

But if it's static and NOT DHCP still with loss of connection , you are
looking for non DHCP issue now.

>There is one thing I would like to ask before I try it, the router has a
>wi-fi protected set up which is enabled, would it be ok to disable it or

Pointers to manuals like URL and page number are handy for specifics.

Not if all the systems are sharing the correct settings, you could try
of course. With the internet connection disabled and for a few minutes
with security off.

Your router log should provide a list of IPs to MACs these are okay and
are your PCs? Sure it's your router and not someone else connection you
are getting :-)

>more to the point could this be the problem? also a feature called WAN ping
>blocking, which is also enabled could that be the problem? (I really don't

That would be incoming pings from the ISP side of the connection, AFAIK
not an issue with ex-BY / VM. You may like to ask in the VM broadband
newsgroup / VM network selfhelp.

>think it is that but it's worth asking I think) also I did notice when I did
>ipconfig/all that ip routing enabled = No

That's okay, if you have 2 NICs in a PC, dual homed,
http://www.answers.com/topic/dual-ho...cat=technology
then you need IP routing enabled to traverse across the 2 NICs.

monkey_cartman1@yahoo.com 04-08-2008 07:21 AM

Soundbytes wrote:
> Hello
> Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
> was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
> warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
> works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is cable
> wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
> straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
> have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
> turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
> address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the
> wireless ones.
>
> Anyone know what the problem is?
>
> All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
> worked fine with the last router.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gordon

Did you set an ssid name?.

I don't know to what extent you know your router and the wireless
software on the computers but,

Have you considered using wpa or wpa2 which is secure

Set up the router first for wireless, create a unique ssid name,
enable wireless, set to wpa psk (pre shared key) and aes for
encryption then a good password. Common words and names in wpa2 can be
cracked with wireless cracking sofware in moments so create a password
like M,CTd8&5^/"P, this will be very secure

Then in the computer software set the ssid to the same as the routers,
set to wpa or wpa2 then psk\aes then the
same password as you set in the router

But always set up the router first, then the wireless software to
reflect the router settings

monkey_cartman1@yahoo.com 04-08-2008 07:38 AM

monkey_cartm...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Soundbytes wrote:
> > Hello
> > Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
> > was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
> > warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
> > works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is cable
> > wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
> > straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
> > have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
> > turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
> > address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the
> > wireless ones.
> >
> > Anyone know what the problem is?
> >
> > All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
> > worked fine with the last router.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Gordon

------------------------------------
also

I would remove and reinstall the software and reset the router if you
follow these general directions, make
sure your wireless cards software on the computers supports either wpa
or wpa2

Also youtube has some nice videos of different router and card
software setup
------------------------------------

Mahatma Coat 04-08-2008 05:15 PM

Soundbytes wrote:
> Hello
> Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last router
> was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things as soon as the
> warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!) anyway, the new one
> works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a little problem, My PC is cable
> wired to it, but the rest of the home is wireless, my computer connects
> straight away when I turn the PC on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I
> have to repair the connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they
> turn on, if not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip
> address needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the
> wireless ones.
>
> Anyone know what the problem is?
>
> All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek, they all
> worked fine with the last router.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gordon

I'm no expert here but from similar problems I've had in the past are
you sure the wireless pc,s are compatible with wireless N? You may have
to set the routers wireless type to G or whatever your pc's use. When I
got a wireless G router an old laptop with A wouldn't work with it,
though the other later machines did. I had to set the router to mixed
and then it all worked.

Mat

seaweedsl 04-09-2008 05:18 PM

On Apr 8, 2:21 am, monkey_cartm...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Did you set an ssid name?.
>
> Set up the router first for wireless, create a unique ssid name,
> enable wireless, set to wpa psk (pre shared key) and aes for
> encryption then a good password. Common words and names in wpa2 can be
> cracked with wireless cracking sofware in moments so create a password
> like M,CTd8&5^/"P, this will be very secure

I was thinking it's an SSID issue as well. But the usual advice is
to troubleshoot wireless with security (WPA) off first, then, when
it's all working right, turn it on in the router and clients.

P.Schuman 04-09-2008 05:31 PM

Soundbytes wrote:
> Hello
> Saturday I bought a Belkin N series router F5D8233, my last
> router was also a Belkin which worked fine but like all good things
> as soon as the warranty runs out it stops working (strange that!!)
> anyway, the new one works fine, set up was easy etc, but I have a
> little problem, My PC is cable wired to it, but the rest of the home
> is wireless, my computer connects straight away when I turn the PC
> on, the Laptop and the kids PC's don't, I have to repair the
> connection using Windows XP repair tool everytime they turn on, if
> not they get limited connectivity. Windows says that the ip address
> needs renewing everytime the PC's are turned on, but only the
> wireless ones.
>
> Anyone know what the problem is?
>
> All the PC's use windows XP SP2, all te network cards are realtek,
> they all worked fine with the last router.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gordon

step thru the basics -

#1 - When the wireless computers are on,
what "wireless network" does it indicate is available
by clicking on the icon usually in the tray
or doing a "View Avail Wireless Networks" command ?

#2 - do the computers have WEP or WPA previously defined for security ?

#3 - does the wireless router have any security turned on by default ?
WEP or WPA ?

you get the idea...