Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cisco 871 or ASA 5505 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t604316-cisco-871-or-asa-5505-a.html)

dt1649651@yahoo.com 04-06-2008 07:52 PM

Cisco 871 or ASA 5505

I have two branch offices, each has only 2 users and 2 printers, which
are going to connect to their main office thru the VPN tunnels so that
each branch office can access the main office and the main office can
also access the branch resources ( printers ) .

I plan to use either the Cisco 871 or ASA 5505 at the branch offices
for this requirement. Is there any reason to select this device over
the other ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

DT

Martin Bilgrav 04-07-2008 07:37 PM

Re: Cisco 871 or ASA 5505

<dt1649651@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have two branch offices, each has only 2 users and 2 printers, which
> are going to connect to their main office thru the VPN tunnels so that
> each branch office can access the main office and the main office can
> also access the branch resources ( printers ) .
>
> I plan to use either the Cisco 871 or ASA 5505 at the branch offices
> for this requirement. Is there any reason to select this device over
> the other ?

throughput performance is one ...
all security is done in software on the router (c871) and done much better
in a "real" firewall, like the ASA5505
Whats you WAN linkspeeds ?
VPN performance is alsoo allot better in the ASA5505.

dunno about prices. 10 user lic for asa5505 is not much, around 1500 USD i
think

brandon.j.carroll@gmail.com 04-07-2008 10:57 PM

Re: Cisco 871 or ASA 5505

On Apr 7, 3:41*pm, Aaron Leonard <Aa...@Cisco.COM> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:37:57 +0200, "Martin Bilgrav" <bilgravCUTTHIS...@tiscali.dk> wrote:
>
> ~~ <dt1649...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> ~news:c6883e1e-2832-48d5-ba25-385b2e4cf7c0@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> ~ >I have two branch offices, each has only 2 users and 2 printers, which
> ~ > are going to connect to their main office thru the VPN tunnels so that
> ~ > each branch office can access the main office and the main office can
> ~ > also access the branch resources ( printers ) .
> ~ >
> ~ > I plan to use either the Cisco 871 or ASA 5505 at the branch offices
> ~ > for this requirement. Is there any reason to select this device over
> ~ > the other ?
> ~ >
> ~
> ~ throughput performance is one ...
> ~ all security is done in software on the router (c871) and done much better
> ~ in a "real" firewall, like the ASA5505
> ~ Whats you WAN linkspeeds ?
> ~ VPN performance is alsoo allot better in the ASA5505.
> ~
> ~ dunno about prices. 10 user lic for asa5505 is not much, around 1500 USD i
> ~ think
>
> The 87x also does crypto in hardware. *Its IPSEC throughput is adequate to
> most small branch offices. *(Which is not to deny that the ASA5505's
> throughput is better.)
>
> Aaron

I'd do the ASA. I like the MPF for all that extra control. Keeps you
from needing extra boxes at the branch for some more advanced
filtering. Granted you may never use the capability but it is there!

BC

dt1649651@yahoo.com 04-09-2008 04:52 AM

Re: Cisco 871 or ASA 5505

On Apr 7, 2:37*pm, "Martin Bilgrav" <bilgravCUTTHIS...@tiscali.dk>
wrote:

> throughput performance is one ...
> all security is done in software on the router (c871) and done much better
> in a "real" firewall, like the ASA5505
> Whats you WAN linkspeeds ?
> VPN performance is alsoo allot better in the ASA5505.
>
> dunno about prices. 10 user lic for asa5505 is not much, around 1500 USD i
> think

Martin, thanks for your advice. I didn't know that the VPN performance
on the ASA5505 is better the 871.
I checked the price, both of them are about US$500 or less ( for the
10-user ASA5505 ). The 871 is a little bit more expensive.

DT

dt1649651@yahoo.com 04-09-2008 04:55 AM

Re: Cisco 871 or ASA 5505

On Apr 7, 5:41*pm, Aaron Leonard <Aa...@Cisco.COM> wrote:

> The 87x also does crypto in hardware. *Its IPSEC throughput is adequate to
> most small branch offices. *(Which is not to deny that the ASA5505's
> throughput is better.)

I have one 871 at home configured to have site-to-site to my office
and it works just fine.
I think this is a good chance for me to try the 5505 :)

Thanks,
DT