Velocity Reviews

-   -   Daylight saving in NSW (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t602882-daylight-saving-in-nsw.html)

Adrienne Boswell 03-30-2008 03:28 AM

Re: Daylight saving in NSW

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
A9BDFE.13582730032008@news-vip.optusnet.com.au:

> In NSW Australia, daylight saving does not finish until 6th April (a
> week later than usual). I noticed my computer clock was put back an

hour
> today. It is supposed to be done automatically on a per region basis
> (set in sys pref on a Mac). Something or someone has stuffed up. Had

> manually put it forward again. It is possible, I suppose, it is just

my
> machine at fault (not me, of course.)

I hate daylight saving time. It's a waste of time. The sun isn't going
to do anything different just because we want it to, and Bessy the cow
isn't going to give milk any sooner, just because Old McDonald's buyers
are the the farm an hour earlier. Traffic accidents spike at the
beginning of DST, because our internal clocks don't give a hoot what the
clock says either - we're losing an hour of sleep.

I say it's time to get rid of DST altogether.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Eric Lindsay 03-30-2008 03:43 AM

Re: Daylight saving in NSW

In article
dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> In NSW Australia, daylight saving does not finish until 6th April (a
> week later than usual). I noticed my computer clock was put back an hour
> today. It is supposed to be done automatically on a per region basis
> (set in sys pref on a Mac). Something or someone has stuffed up. Had to
> manually put it forward again. It is possible, I suppose, it is just my
> machine at fault (not me, of course.)

I gather NSW legislation only went through in late October. I can't see
any indication at Apple support of a Daylight Saving update for Leopard
(nor for Tiger or Panther past March 2007).

At least some mobile phones also didn't notice the problem, as reported
in the news this morning.

I am very glad I live in a state that does not use Daylight Saving. Less
complicated.

--
http://www.ericlindsay.com

David Empson 03-30-2008 03:52 AM

Re: Daylight saving in NSW

dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> In NSW Australia, daylight saving does not finish until 6th April (a
> week later than usual). I noticed my computer clock was put back an hour
> today. It is supposed to be done automatically on a per region basis
> (set in sys pref on a Mac). Something or someone has stuffed up. Had to
> manually put it forward again. It is possible, I suppose, it is just my
> machine at fault (not me, of course.)

Which version of Mac OS X are you running?

According to my 10.5.2 system, the current time zone in Sydney is
UTC+11, which agrees with your description of what the time should be.

If you are running 10.4.10 or earlier, and the rule changed from last
year, then your version of Mac OS X has out of date daylight saving
rules.

Apple released updated rules in 10.4.11 and 10.5.

We had a similar problem in New Zealand back in September, when the
rules changed here, and we have a problem right now for anyone still
running 10.4.10 or earlier, as the end of daylight saving moved ahead by
three weeks (to April 6th).

Since 10.4.11 and 10.5 weren't out in time for our local daylight saving
transition in September, a friend of mine wrote a patch for the daylight
saving rules for New Zealand to fix the problem for people running
10.3.9 and 10.4.9/10.

The whole story is here:

http://welmac.org.nz/nzdst2007.php

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

Ed Mullen 03-30-2008 04:03 AM

Re: Daylight saving in NSW

Neredbojias wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2008, Adrienne Boswell <arbpen@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> In NSW Australia, daylight saving does not finish until 6th April (a
>>> week later than usual). I noticed my computer clock was put back an

>> hour
>>> today.

>> I hate daylight saving time. It's a waste of time. The sun isn't going
>> to do anything different just because we want it to, and Bessy the cow
>> isn't going to give milk any sooner, just because Old McDonald's buyers
>> are the the farm an hour earlier. Traffic accidents spike at the
>> beginning of DST, because our internal clocks don't give a hoot what the
>> clock says either - we're losing an hour of sleep.
>>
>> I say it's time to get rid of DST altogether.

> I couldn't agree more. Fortunately, I, like Eric, live in a state which
> has no daylight savings time, but before I moved, I hated it, too. I think
> the point is that if they want to adjust work and school start times, etc.,
> go ahead, but leave the clock itself alone.

I kinda like it staying light later. It was especially fun for me when
I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Ireland in June and it stayed light until almost
10 PM. Same thing on an Alaska cruise. I think we should just adjust
the clock ahead an hour for 12 months of the year! :-D

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Neredbojias 03-30-2008 04:53 AM

Re: Daylight saving in NSW

On 29 Mar 2008, Adrienne Boswell <arbpen@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> In NSW Australia, daylight saving does not finish until 6th April (a
>> week later than usual). I noticed my computer clock was put back an

> hour
>> today.

> I hate daylight saving time. It's a waste of time. The sun isn't going
> to do anything different just because we want it to, and Bessy the cow
> isn't going to give milk any sooner, just because Old McDonald's buyers
> are the the farm an hour earlier. Traffic accidents spike at the
> beginning of DST, because our internal clocks don't give a hoot what the
> clock says either - we're losing an hour of sleep.
>
> I say it's time to get rid of DST altogether.

I couldn't agree more. Fortunately, I, like Eric, live in a state which
has no daylight savings time, but before I moved, I hated it, too. I think
the point is that if they want to adjust work and school start times, etc.,
go ahead, but leave the clock itself alone.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.com/
Great sights and sounds

Phil Kempster 03-30-2008 06:52 AM

Re: Daylight saving in NSW

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
> <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
> A9BDFE.13582730032008@news-vip.optusnet.com.au:
>
>> In NSW Australia, daylight saving does not finish until 6th April (a
>> week later than usual). I noticed my computer clock was put back an

> hour
>> today. It is supposed to be done automatically on a per region basis
>> (set in sys pref on a Mac). Something or someone has stuffed up. Had

>> manually put it forward again. It is possible, I suppose, it is just

> my
>> machine at fault (not me, of course.)
>>

> I hate daylight saving time. It's a waste of time. The sun isn't going
> to do anything different just because we want it to, and Bessy the cow
> isn't going to give milk any sooner, just because Old McDonald's buyers
> are the the farm an hour earlier. Traffic accidents spike at the
> beginning of DST, because our internal clocks don't give a hoot what the
> clock says either - we're losing an hour of sleep.
>
> I say it's time to get rid of DST altogether.

Couldn't agree more. If you want to trade with an adjoining time zone,
get up an hour earlier [1]. You don't have to bother the cows and the
school children at all, let the rest of us stay in tune with the sun.
It's crazy that we're totally controlled by little mechanical devices
strapped to our wrists.

[1] I live in a half hour time zone, like Newfoundland!

--
Phil Kempster
http://kempster.info

Neredbojias 03-30-2008 08:57 AM

Re: Daylight saving in NSW

On 29 Mar 2008, Ed Mullen <ed@edmullen.net> wrote:

>>> I say it's time to get rid of DST altogether.

>> I couldn't agree more. Fortunately, I, like Eric, live in a state
>> which has no daylight savings time, but before I moved, I hated it,
>> too. I think the point is that if they want to adjust work and
>> school start times, etc., go ahead, but leave the clock itself alone.
>>

> I kinda like it staying light later. It was especially fun for me
> when I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Ireland in June and it stayed light until
> almost 10 PM. Same thing on an Alaska cruise. I think we should just
> adjust the clock ahead an hour for 12 months of the year! :-D

That's okay by me. My objection is to _changing_ the clock during the year
(twice!) not to what time you want the sun to rise or set.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.com/

Johan W. Elzenga 03-30-2008 09:01 AM

Re: Daylight saving in NSW

Neredbojias <ex@example.com> wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2008, Adrienne Boswell <arbpen@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I hate daylight saving time. It's a waste of time. The sun isn't going
> > to do anything different just because we want it to, and Bessy the cow
> > isn't going to give milk any sooner, just because Old McDonald's buyers
> > are the the farm an hour earlier. Traffic accidents spike at the
> > beginning of DST, because our internal clocks don't give a hoot what the
> > clock says either - we're losing an hour of sleep.
> >
> > I say it's time to get rid of DST altogether.

> I couldn't agree more. Fortunately, I, like Eric, live in a state which
> has no daylight savings time, but before I moved, I hated it, too. I think
> the point is that if they want to adjust work and school start times, etc.,
> go ahead, but leave the clock itself alone.

Funny. Do you really think that leaving the clock alone, but changing
the starting time of everything you do makes any difference whatsoever?
It still means you have to get up one hour earlier.

I like DST. We have one more hour of daylight in the evening, so it
really makes me feel that summer is on its way.

--
Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com

Neredbojias 03-30-2008 09:02 AM

Re: Daylight saving in NSW

On 29 Mar 2008, Ed Mullen <ed@edmullen.net> wrote:

> I kinda like it staying light later. It was especially fun for me
> when I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Ireland in June and it stayed light until
> almost 10 PM. Same thing on an Alaska cruise. I think we should just
> adjust the clock ahead an hour for 12 months of the year! :-D

Btw, check out my new email address. I couldn't get it to "go through"
without sticking the "me@" in front, but the link seems to work.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.com/