Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem compiling perl module Device::SerialPort (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t602579-problem-compiling-perl-module-device-serialport.html)

Keith Lee 03-28-2008 04:51 PM

Problem compiling perl module Device::SerialPort

All:
I am attempting to compile the perl module Device::SerialPort and get
this error during make --
Manifying blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm
Can't open blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm for writing: Invalid argument
at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ExtUtils/Command/MM.pm line 132
make: *** [manifypods] Error 22
[cmarvel@localhost Device-SerialPort-1.002]$ make all
Manifying blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm
Can't open blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm for writing: Invalid argument
at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ExtUtils/Command/MM.pm line 132
make: *** [manifypods] Error 22

I have 5.8.8 perl. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Keith Lee

Dan Espen 03-28-2008 05:02 PM

Re: Problem compiling perl module Device::SerialPort

Keith Lee <cmarvel2000@yahoo.com> writes:

> All:
> I am attempting to compile the perl module Device::SerialPort and get
> this error during make --
> Manifying blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm
> Can't open blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm for writing: Invalid argument
> at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ExtUtils/Command/MM.pm line 132
> make: *** [manifypods] Error 22
> [cmarvel@localhost Device-SerialPort-1.002]$ make all
> Manifying blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm
> Can't open blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm for writing: Invalid argument
> at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ExtUtils/Command/MM.pm line 132
> make: *** [manifypods] Error 22
>
> I have 5.8.8 perl. Any suggestions? Thank you.

It's complaining it gets an error trying to create a file
at blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm.

Did you previously do a make as root?

It the file there writable?

You can either do a make clean as root
and then make as a normal user
or do the make as root.

Keith Lee 03-29-2008 12:04 AM

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:02:06 +0000, Dan Espen wrote:

> Keith Lee <cmarvel2000@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> All:
>> I am attempting to compile the perl module Device::SerialPort and get
>> this error during make --
>> Manifying blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm Can't open
>> blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm for writing: Invalid argument
>> at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ExtUtils/Command/MM.pm line 132
>> make: *** [manifypods] Error 22
>> [cmarvel@localhost Device-SerialPort-1.002]$ make all Manifying
>> blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm Can't open
>> blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm for writing: Invalid argument
>> at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ExtUtils/Command/MM.pm line 132
>> make: *** [manifypods] Error 22
>>
>> I have 5.8.8 perl. Any suggestions? Thank you.

> It's complaining it gets an error trying to create a file at
> blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm.
>
> Did you previously do a make as root?
>
> It the file there writable?
>
> You can either do a make clean as root and then make as a normal user
> or do the make as root.

Dan:
I just ran make clean, perl Makefile.pl, and make as root. It's giving me the same error.

Keith

Dan Espen 03-29-2008 12:35 AM

Re: Problem compiling perl module Device::SerialPort

Keith Lee <cmarvel2000@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:02:06 +0000, Dan Espen wrote:
>
>> Keith Lee <cmarvel2000@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> All:
>>> I am attempting to compile the perl module Device::SerialPort and get
>>> this error during make --
>>> Manifying blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm Can't open
>>> blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm for writing: Invalid argument
>>> at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ExtUtils/Command/MM.pm line 132
>>> make: *** [manifypods] Error 22
>>> [cmarvel@localhost Device-SerialPort-1.002]$ make all Manifying
>>> blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm Can't open
>>> blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm for writing: Invalid argument
>>> at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ExtUtils/Command/MM.pm line 132
>>> make: *** [manifypods] Error 22
>>>
>>> I have 5.8.8 perl. Any suggestions? Thank you.

>> It's complaining it gets an error trying to create a file at
>> blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm.
>>
>> Did you previously do a make as root?
>>
>> It the file there writable?
>>
>> You can either do a make clean as root and then make as a normal user
>> or do the make as root.

> Dan:
> I just ran make clean, perl Makefile.pl, and make as root. It's giving me the same error.

Look at the file:

blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm

is it writable?

if you can't find the file look closer at the output
messages, they will say which directory make was in at the time
the message was issued.

Check that there is space on the drive.

Keith Lee 03-29-2008 11:34 PM

Re: Problem compiling perl module Device::SerialPort

Dan:
I am not sure why; but, the compilation and installation work fine on the Linux drive but not on the Fat32 drive.
They are both accessible from Linux. Oh well, at least I got it installed and running. Thank you.

Keith Lee

Dan Espen 03-30-2008 12:53 AM

Re: Problem compiling perl module Device::SerialPort

Keith Lee <cmarvel2000@yahoo.com> writes:

> Dan:
> I am not sure why; but, the compilation and installation work fine
> on the Linux drive but not on the Fat32 drive. They are both
> accessible from Linux. Oh well, at least I got it installed and
> running. Thank you.

Makes sense.

The fat drive does not support file permissions.
If the script attempted to set permissions or test them
the script wouldn't get the expected results.

Joe Smith 03-31-2008 07:45 AM

Keith Lee wrote:
> All:
> I am attempting to compile the perl module Device::SerialPort and get
> this error during make --
> Manifying blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm
> Can't open blib/man3/Device::SerialPort.3pm for writing: Invalid argument

Translation: Attempt to use illegal characters in a file name.
File names with embedded colons are not allowed on FAT32 file systems.