Velocity Reviews

-   -   Main Web Page interacting with Search Web Page (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t602308-main-web-page-interacting-with-search-web-page.html)

DavidS 03-27-2008 04:34 PM

Main Web Page interacting with Search Web Page

I have for purposes of this discussion two web forms I'm working with : i)
main.aspx, ii) find.aspx. From the main web form I have a button control
that opens a modeless dialog (find.aspx,,,) etc... From the search page
[find.aspx], I have several web controls that are used to control a query
from SQL database [ex: name, location, start date, end date, rule #, etc...].

Overview - I open the modeless dialog without issue from main form
[main.aspx]. I control the query without issue in the search form
[find.aspx]. I've set the tag <base target=_self> to ensure requeries from
the search page repost to the same page - find.aspx.

Objective - After I update the search page with a table datasets (that's
dynamically constructed based on search criteria - and no issue / works
perfect), I also have created the first table column as an "anchor - via <a
href [some unique id] onclick event=[some javascript function]>. What I WANT
to do is from the search page, depress ANY entry from the first column of
table - and have this unique ID saved as session variable / than have the
main web page update itself accordingly based on the ID selected.

ISSUE/HELP!!! - I'm not able to force the main page to repost and read the
session state variable! Is this possible / using a search page to tell the
main page to update itself - how do I do this?

NOTE: I'm not using frames - and not sure how to tell system to have parent
repost - something like window.parent.opener.navigate(main.aspx) / this
doesn't work - but this is goal - use the modeless form to query database /
have the main page update itself based on selection from search page.

Kind regards for help/assistance in this matter,
David

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP] 03-27-2008 05:39 PM

RE: Main Web Page interacting with Search Web Page

This article is a bit old, but I think it will clearly illustrate an easy way
to do this:

-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

DavidS 03-27-2008 06:26 PM

RE: Main Web Page interacting with Search Web Page

The article is an excellent one. But I think for my purposes it's limited in
what I currently doing.

1) The popup I open is required to remain opened after selecting an item
associated with the search query - the popup from the example uses the Close
button and than the associated window.opener.update( ret ); to force the
postback - I believe.
2) Issue I'm having is I don't want to close the current window after a post
- hence / simple solution would be to remove the window.close in the
Page_Load.Done() function - but I believe after a repost, the popup would
either repost itself in a new window too - hence I used <target =_base> to
ensure new posts are always the same window. Upon doing this - I believe
window.opener is now undefined - doesn't point to main form again!

I can't seem to force the main window to repost - repaint etc... /
window.opener is undefined after I depress the Submit button on search page -
since i) it will do SQL query of data; ii) update form with what it's found.

Is there anyway to have the Handle for the main page - saved - and then use
this handle in the popup I have in some way to force the main window to
update?

something like <hwnd of main page>.update() - I can call this from my
javascript from from the popup - but not able to find something as such ///

bruce barker 03-28-2008 12:05 AM

RE: Main Web Page interacting with Search Web Page

a postback is really a nav to a new page as far as the browser is concerned.
for security reason a new page can not access the opener of a previous page.

you should abandon the popup page model for this type of application. the
more common approach is to use a floating div to hold your find, and then a
post in find is a post of the page. you can find lots of javascript code
samples for this. the ajx control toolkit has one, so does jQuery.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

DavidS 03-28-2008 06:52 PM

RE: Main Web Page interacting with Search Web Page

Ok. Makes sense with security issues / I was having very difficult time
doing anything with parent, window.opener, etc...

Concerning jQuery - this is something new to me. I did do google query on
this - lots of places to start. Is there any specific site you can
recommend. Also, is there a location that might have an example too - since
I believe I have to download jQuery and install - etc... and looks like might
take some extra time. Any additional help will cut down on my searches in
wrong direction too.

thanks,
David