Velocity Reviews

-   -   Filters not fitting my Nikkor 18-55 lens (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t602130-filters-not-fitting-my-nikkor-18-55-lens.html)

nickravo1@gmail.com 03-27-2008 03:18 AM

Filters not fitting my Nikkor 18-55 lens

Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

Claude V. Lucas 03-27-2008 03:29 AM

Re: Filters not fitting my Nikkor 18-55 lens

In article <9c8cef47-1c84-495a-bcd8-06d50d0de620@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
nickravo1@gmail.com <nickravo@gmail.com> wrote:
>Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
>a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
>attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

My 18-55 AF-S DX Nikkor lens takes a 52MM filter...

YMMV.

Jer 03-27-2008 05:21 AM

nickravo1@gmail.com wrote:
> Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
> a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
> attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

Use a bigger hammer. Repeatedly.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Allen 03-27-2008 01:55 PM

Jer wrote:
> nickravo1@gmail.com wrote:
>> Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
>> a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
>> attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

> Use a bigger hammer. Repeatedly.

On the lens? The filter? His head? His typing hand? All the above?
Perhaps he should try an 18 mm filter and see if that works. Or read the
camera specs.
Allen

nickravo1@gmail.com 03-27-2008 08:13 PM

On Mar 28, 12:55*am, Allen <al...@nothere.net> wrote:
> Jer wrote:
> > nickra...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
> >> a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
> >> attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

> > Use a bigger hammer. *Repeatedly.

> On the lens? The filter? His head? His typing hand? All the above?
> Perhaps he should try an 18 mm filter and see if that works. Or read the
> camera specs.
> Allen

Anybody besides these tools have an answer.

me@mine.net 03-27-2008 08:20 PM

Re: Filters not fitting my Nikkor 18-55 lens

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:13:46 -0700 (PDT), in rec.photo.digital
"nickravo1@gmail.com" <nickravo@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mar 28, 12:55*am, Allen <al...@nothere.net> wrote:
>> Jer wrote:

>> > Use a bigger hammer. *Repeatedly.

>> On the lens? The filter? His head? His typing hand? All the above?
>> Perhaps he should try an 18 mm filter and see if that works. Or read the
>> camera specs.
>> Allen

>Anybody besides these tools have an answer.

As someone else has all ready pointed out. 55mm is the maximum focal length
of the lens. NOT the dia of the objective.

If you look at the manual for the lens or the Nikon site for this lens
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...20ED%20II.html
Click on the Tech Specs tab.

You will see the filter and attachment size is 52mm.

Jürgen Exner 03-27-2008 10:14 PM

Re: Filters not fitting my Nikkor 18-55 lens

"nickravo1@gmail.com" <nickravo@gmail.com> wrote:
>Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
>a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
>attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

Why did you buy 55mm filters and hood for a lens that has a 52mm filter
and attachement thread?

From the tech specs of that that lens:
Filter Size: 52mm
Lens Attachment Size: 52mm

jue

Jack 03-27-2008 11:32 PM

Re: Filters not fitting my Nikkor 18-55 lens

"nickravo1@gmail.com" <nickravo@gmail.com> wrote in news:58ce56de-1f5e-
4f62-b1b0-624f260ec771@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

> On Mar 28, 12:55*am, Allen <al...@nothere.net> wrote:

Your lens requires a 52mm filter, not 55mm.

Randy Berbaum 03-28-2008 04:10 AM

"Jack" <forrmark@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9A6EC6B931286forrmarkyahoocom@216.196.97.1 36...
> "nickravo1@gmail.com" <nickravo@gmail.com> wrote in news:58ce56de-1f5e-
> 4f62-b1b0-624f260ec771@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

> Your lens requires a 52mm filter, not 55mm.

One suggestion so that all your purchased items don't go entirely to waste.
purchase a 55mm to 52mm filter converter. Be sure to get the converter that
converts from 55mm filter to a 52mm lens (and not the other way around).
Then you can leave the converter on the front of the lens and all your
purchased filters and hoods will work fine.

I actually did this on purpose. I have two lenses I use regularly with two
different filter sizes. Instead of purchasing two different sets of common
use filters I chose the larger filter size of the two lenses, and purchased
the filters to fit that, and then I got a converter for the smaller filter
size lens. Thus both lenses now take the same filter size. Works for me
(make your own decision if this will work for you).

Randy

Roy G 03-28-2008 04:27 PM

"Claude V. Lucas" <claudel@sonic.net> wrote in message
> In article
> <9c8cef47-1c84-495a-bcd8-06d50d0de620@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> nickravo1@gmail.com <nickravo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
>>a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
>>attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

> My 18-55 AF-S DX Nikkor lens takes a 52MM filter...
>
> YMMV.

Why would anyone buy more than one lens hood for any lens, unless it was for
a very wide range Zoom.

Roy G