Velocity Reviews

-   -   Installing Win XP on an external drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t602115-installing-win-xp-on-an-external-drive.html)

Ronald Murray 03-27-2008 12:48 AM

Installing Win XP on an external drive

Hello
I have a laptop hard drive that I want to install Win XP on it for a laptop.
I have a USB to IDE cable.
The hard drive is recognized in My Computer.
I can format it. When I put the OS cd in the drive , it wants to install it
on my desktop hard drive.
Can I install this on Drive F instead of on Drive C
TIA
ron

Kevin 03-27-2008 09:32 PM

Re: Installing Win XP on an external drive

"Ronald Murray" <ethel@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have a laptop hard drive that I want to install Win XP on it for a
> laptop. I have a USB to IDE cable.
> The hard drive is recognized in My Computer.
> I can format it. When I put the OS cd in the drive , it wants to install
> it on my desktop hard drive.
> Can I install this on Drive F instead of on Drive C
> TIA
> ron

No. Windows doesn't like it when you try to install it on external drives.
It wants to be on the primary partition designated as the C drive.

- Bobb - 03-29-2008 02:21 PM

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:47ec070a$0$26121$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

> "Ronald Murray" <ethel@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
>> Hello
>> I have a laptop hard drive that I want to install Win XP on it for a
>> laptop. I have a USB to IDE cable.
>> The hard drive is recognized in My Computer.
>> I can format it. When I put the OS cd in the drive , it wants to
>> install it on my desktop hard drive.
>> Can I install this on Drive F instead of on Drive C
>> TIA
>> ron

Does your PC even have an option to boot to usb drive in BIOS ?

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk 03-29-2008 11:23 PM

On 29 Mar, 14:21, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> "Kevin" <webm...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:47ec070a$0$26121$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
>

> > "Ronald Murray" <et...@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> >> Hello
> >> I have a laptop hard drive that I want to install Win XP on it for a
> >> laptop. I have a USB to IDE cable.
> >> The hard drive is recognized in My Computer.
> >> I can format it. When I put the OS cd in the drive , it wants to
> >> install it on my desktop hard drive.
> >> Can I install this on Drive F instead of on Drive C
> >> TIA
> >> ron

> Does your PC even have an option to boot to usb drive in BIOS ?

It's actually a common option.

Did you ever consider that he might be trying to boot off an IDE
drive, and then loading windows off a USB drive? (thus he would not
need to boot off a usb drive/disk).

Installing windows onto a USB drive, and Booting windows xp off a USB
drive.. I think both can be done, but have a number of
technicalities.

There is actually this site with a forum , that goes into it.

http://forums.ngine.de/viewforum.php...1fbd7df706e113