Velocity Reviews

-   -   GridView/FormView (master/details) questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t602098-gridview-formview-master-details-questions.html)

dan 03-26-2008 10:19 PM

GridView/FormView (master/details) questions

Hi,

I have a hard time finding an example with GridView and FormView on the same
page. So I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me with the following:

1) How do I refresh GridView after Insert, Update, and Delete in a linked
FormView?
That is, I'd like the GridView to show updates made to a row, show a newly
added row, and remove a deleted row.

2) How do I force the FormView to display in InsertMode if no items are
present in the associated GridView?
I know that I need to call ChangeMode() on the FormView but I'm not sure
where. I tried Selected event of the associated ObjectDataSource with "if
(e.RowsAffected < 1) FormView.ChangeMode(FormViewMode.Insert)" but this
does not seem to work. The ObjectDataSourceStatusEventArgs.RowsAffected is
always -1 regardless of how many rows are displayed in the GridView. So I
must be checking it in the wrong place.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Stan 03-29-2008 12:50 AM

Re: GridView/FormView (master/details) questions

On 26 Mar, 22:19, "dan" <d...@nocompany.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a hard time finding an example with GridView and FormView on the same
> page. So I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me with the following:
>
> 1) How do I refresh GridView after Insert, Update, and Delete in a linked
> FormView?
> That is, I'd like the GridView to show updates made to a row, show a newly
> added row, and remove a deleted row.
>
> 2) How do I force the FormView to display in InsertMode if no items are
> present in the associated GridView?
> I know that I need to call ChangeMode() on the FormView but I'm not sure
> where. *I tried Selected event of the associated ObjectDataSource with "if
> (e.RowsAffected < *1) FormView.ChangeMode(FormViewMode.Insert)" but this
> does not seem to work. *The ObjectDataSourceStatusEventArgs.RowsAffected is
> always -1 regardless of how many rows are displayed in the GridView. So I
> must be checking it in the wrong place.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,

1) Execute the GridView's DataBind() method in the event handlers for
the FormView's ItemInserted, ItemUpdated and ItemDeleted events.

2) In the Page_load event handler execute the FormView's ChangeMode()
method if the GridView's Rows.Count property is zero.

HTH

Stan 03-29-2008 08:53 AM

On 29 Mar, 00:50, Stan <goo...@philphall.me.uk> wrote:
> On 26 Mar, 22:19, "dan" <d...@nocompany.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,

> > I have a hard time finding an example with GridView and FormView on the same
> > page. So I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me with the following:

> > 1) How do I refresh GridView after Insert, Update, and Delete in a linked
> > FormView?
> > That is, I'd like the GridView to show updates made to a row, show a newly
> > added row, and remove a deleted row.

> > 2) How do I force the FormView to display in InsertMode if no items are
> > present in the associated GridView?
> > I know that I need to call ChangeMode() on the FormView but I'm not sure
> > where. *I tried Selected event of the associated ObjectDataSource with "if
> > (e.RowsAffected < *1) FormView.ChangeMode(FormViewMode.Insert)" but this
> > does not seem to work. *The ObjectDataSourceStatusEventArgs.RowsAffected is
> > always -1 regardless of how many rows are displayed in the GridView. So I
> > must be checking it in the wrong place.

> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks,

> 1) Execute the GridView's DataBind() method in the event handlers for
> the FormView's ItemInserted, ItemUpdated and ItemDeleted events.
>
> 2) In the Page_load event handler execute the FormView's ChangeMode()
> method if the GridView's Rows.Count property is zero.
>
> HTH- Hide quoted text -

Correction:

It might be safer to use the GridView DataBound event rather than the
Page_Load event in (2).