Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cannot Copy Assembly 'Foo' to file '\\server\dir\Foo.dll'. Access isdenied (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t601590-cannot-copy-assembly-foo-to-file-server-dir-foo-dll-access-isdenied.html)

JB 03-25-2008 12:42 PM

Cannot Copy Assembly 'Foo' to file '\\server\dir\Foo.dll'. Access isdenied

I am trying to compile a dll to a remote server but keep getting the
above error message.

The problem is not with the actual assembly I am building (because
that doesnt yet exist), it is with all the referenced dll's.
They are all currently in the directory \\server\dir which I am
building the new project to. Hence I guess it is trying to overwrite
them, with exactly the same files.

Permissions on the directory are ok, both the local user and ASP.NET
user have got full access to all files/directories
..
Ideally the files in questions (which are purely reference dll's) can
just remain where they are, they shouldnt need overwriting at all in
the first place.

Any ideas?

bruce barker 03-25-2008 05:58 PM

RE: Cannot Copy Assembly 'Foo' to file '\\server\dir\Foo.dll'. Access

you don't say what tool and commands you are using to compile, so its hard to
guess the problem.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

JB 03-26-2008 08:41 AM

Re: Cannot Copy Assembly 'Foo' to file '\\server\dir\Foo.dll'. Access

On 25 Mar, 17:58, bruce barker <brucebar...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> you don't say what tool and commands you are using to compile, so its hard to
> guess the problem.
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>
> "JB" wrote:
> > I am trying to compile a dll to a remote server but keep getting the
> > above error message.

> > The problem is not with the actual assembly I am building (because
> > that doesnt yet exist), it is with all the referenced dll's.
> > They are all currently in the directory \\server\dir which I am
> > building the new project to. Hence I guess it is trying to overwrite
> > them, with exactly the same files.

> > Permissions on the directory are ok, both the local user and ASP.NET
> > user have got full access to all files/directories
> > ..
> > Ideally the files in questions (which are purely reference dll's) can
> > just remain where they are, they shouldnt need overwriting at all in
> > the first place.

> > Any ideas?

Visual Studio 2003.
Im just using the Build command from the menu

fugeeboy@gmail.com 04-02-2008 09:11 PM

On Mar 26, 3:41 am, JB <jamesb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 Mar, 17:58, bruce barker <brucebar...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>

> > you don't say what tool and commands you are using to compile, so its hard to
> > guess the problem.

> > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

> > "JB" wrote:
> > > I am trying to compile a dll to a remote server but keep getting the
> > > above error message.

> > > The problem is not with the actual assembly I am building (because
> > > that doesnt yet exist), it is with all the referenced dll's.
> > > They are all currently in the directory \\server\dir which I am
> > > building the new project to. Hence I guess it is trying to overwrite
> > > them, with exactly the same files.

> > > Permissions on the directory are ok, both the local user and ASP.NET
> > > user have got full access to all files/directories
> > > ..
> > > Ideally the files in questions (which are purely reference dll's) can
> > > just remain where they are, they shouldnt need overwriting at all in
> > > the first place.

> > > Any ideas?

> Visual Studio 2003.
> Im just using the Build command from the menu

Unchecking Read Only on the DLL should fix the problem