Velocity Reviews

-   -   Slide recording resolution (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t600688-slide-recording-resolution.html)

Don Stauffer in Minnesota 03-21-2008 02:10 PM

Slide recording resolution

I would like to use a commercial service to record digital images to
transparencies, for use in a stereo viewer. Does anyone know what
typical resolution (PPI) these services record transparency slides at?

ray 03-21-2008 03:33 PM

Re: Slide recording resolution

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 07:10:54 -0700, Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

> I would like to use a commercial service to record digital images to
> transparencies, for use in a stereo viewer. Does anyone know what
> typical resolution (PPI) these services record transparency slides at?

Ask them.

Ockham's Razor 03-21-2008 04:52 PM

Re: Slide recording resolution

In article <64i2pgF2aqjodU3@mid.individual.net>, ray <ray@zianet.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 07:10:54 -0700, Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
>
> > I would like to use a commercial service to record digital images to
> > transparencies, for use in a stereo viewer. Does anyone know what
> > typical resolution (PPI) these services record transparency slides at?

> Ask them.

Minimum 300x300.

--
With or without religion, you would have good people doing
good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good

Steven Weinberg

Bob Williams 03-21-2008 07:23 PM

Ockham's Razor wrote:
> In article <64i2pgF2aqjodU3@mid.individual.net>, ray <ray@zianet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 07:10:54 -0700, Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to use a commercial service to record digital images to
>>> transparencies, for use in a stereo viewer. Does anyone know what
>>> typical resolution (PPI) these services record transparency slides at?

>> Ask them.

> Minimum 300x300.

300 ppi resolution on a slide would be totally unacceptable for viewing.
That's OK for printing, but a slide is likely to be blown up 30, 40, 50
times. I would consider 3-4,000 ppi to be a more reasonable figure.
A good consumer film scanner will output 4K ppi.
A drum scanner will do even better.
Bob Williams

Ockham's Razor 03-21-2008 07:55 PM

Re: Slide recording resolution

In article <6XTEj.23263$CD7.15473@newsfe11.phx>,
Bob Williams <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote:

> Ockham's Razor wrote:
> > In article <64i2pgF2aqjodU3@mid.individual.net>, ray <ray@zianet.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Ask them.

> > Minimum 300x300.

> 300 ppi resolution on a slide would be totally unacceptable for viewing.
> That's OK for printing, but a slide is likely to be blown up 30, 40, 50
> times. I would consider 3-4,000 ppi to be a more reasonable figure.
> A good consumer film scanner will output 4K ppi.
> A drum scanner will do even better.
> Bob Williams

Correct, I mis-read thinking he was digitizing slides.