Velocity Reviews

-   -   Asp.net and internet explorer 4.0 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t60050-asp-net-and-internet-explorer-4-0-a.html)

Jan Timmer 07-18-2003 10:43 AM

Asp.net and internet explorer 4.0

Hello,

One of our clients wants a web application. Several offices (worldwide
distributed) only have internet explorer 4.0.

Are we facing problems when we develop an ASP.NET application for them? And
if so, are they showstoppers or are there workarounds?

TIA,

Jan

Kevin Spencer 07-18-2003 12:29 PM

Re: Asp.net and internet explorer 4.0

You're only facing problems if you try to use HTML elements that are not
supported by that browser.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of little things.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) 07-18-2003 12:40 PM

Re: Asp.net and internet explorer 4.0

If you stick to the .NET controls, you should not have a problem. The main
gotchas with IE 4.0 are moving into heavy DHTML or working wtih XML in the
browser. I would still test everything with IE 4.0, which means setting up a
windows 98 box(?), but you should not have a lot of problems.

Work primarily with post back rather than trying to set up hierarchical data
grids, as you might end up with a gotcha here.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

****
Think Outside the Box!
****

Ravikanth[MVP] 07-18-2003 12:42 PM

Asp.net and internet explorer 4.0

Hi Jan

On all Microsoft Operating systems, Microsoft® Internet
Explorer 5.01 or later are required.

This is minimum requirement.

HTH
Ravikanth

\(Liquid\) Daniel Bass 07-18-2003 12:45 PM

Re: Asp.net and internet explorer 4.0

read what Microsoft say is a minimum for there software

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframewo...s/default.aspx

Gary Varga 07-18-2003 12:57 PM

Asp.net and internet explorer 4.0

Don't forget to the the project setting "Target schema"
under "Designer Defaults" to Netscape Navigator 4.0 to
ensure v4 browser level compatibility. Please note that
this doesn't stop you breaking compatibility, however,
the ASP.NET controls use this setting to guage what HTML
to generate.

HTH,
Gaz