Velocity Reviews

-   -   Xml web control and request validation error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t600438-xml-web-control-and-request-validation-error.html)

Aamir Ghanchi 03-20-2008 04:26 PM

Xml web control and request validation error

Hi,

I hope there is a solution for this other than lowering guard by
turning off ValidateRequest property of the page (or in webconfig)

On page load I move xml string value into an Xml web control's
DocumentContent property (not the XmlDataSource) and enableviewstate
to true. When the page posts back, I get the error as follows:

"A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the
client ..."

It's obviously freaking out on the angled brackets in the content.
Being an asp control I thought it should be given a special treatment
by asp through some internal encodeing etc. I tried HtmlEncode, but it
will throw some other xml exception of being not well formed or
msissing root. Any way I gave up and am using a HiddenField instead to
hold the value between the trips, but it would be nice to use xml
control to hold xml data.

Any ideas?

TIA

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP] 03-20-2008 08:25 PM

RE: Xml web control and request validation error

Well, as you've discovered, you don't have to use an Xml Control. In fact,
you don't need any control at all to "hold" the Xml string - you could store
it in Session state.
-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net