Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t600002-should-it-take-50-minutes-to-copy-1-5gb-to-a-usb2-memory-stick.html)

Mark C 03-19-2008 09:26 AM

Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
 
Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?

The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
(Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
internal IDE drive.)

The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
to 50min, oscillating about.

Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
12MBytes/s.

Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.

Oh well...

Mark



Lawrence D'Oliveiro 03-19-2008 09:39 AM

Re: Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
 
In article <03217715$0$14503$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, Mark C did write:

> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?


Depends on the stick. They aren't all the same, and writing speeds can vary
a lot.

> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.


I suppose it's worth trying another system, just for comparison.

Brian Mathews 03-19-2008 10:31 AM

Re: Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
 
On 19 Mar 2008 09:26:40 GMT, Mark C <mark.c@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>
>The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
>My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
>(Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
>internal IDE drive.)
>
>The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
>to 50min, oscillating about.
>
>Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
>200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
>rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
>12MBytes/s.
>
>Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
>
>Oh well...
>
>Mark
>




Do not run speed test tools on Flash drives as you can easly kill them, ie ware them out.

Do you no the Rated speed R/W of the Flash drive, most of these Cheap or no brand ones are very
slow.

Toms Hardware had one that was only 2MBytes write.



thingy 03-19-2008 07:37 PM

Re: Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
 
Mark C wrote:
> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>
> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
> internal IDE drive.)
>
> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
> to 50min, oscillating about.
>
> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
> 12MBytes/s.
>
> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
>
> Oh well...
>
> Mark
>
>


can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station usb
ports has issues...

regards

Thing














thingy 03-19-2008 08:28 PM

Re: Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
 
thingy wrote:
> Mark C wrote:
>> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>>
>> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
>> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
>> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
>> internal IDE drive.)
>>
>> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
>> to 50min, oscillating about.
>>
>> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
>> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
>> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
>> 12MBytes/s.
>> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
>>
>> Oh well...
>>
>> Mark
>>
>>

>
> can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
> crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
> copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station usb
> ports has issues...
>
> regards
>
> Thing
>


What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image to an
a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a laptop so the hd
is'nt the fastest....so it should take about 10mins for 1.5Gb....

What I did notice was if I tried to do anything on my desktop (web
browsing, docs etc) while transferring the time estimate went up
25%...so if your server is busy doing things it may not be the drives fault.

regards

thing









thingy 03-19-2008 08:33 PM

Re: Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
 
thingy wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> Mark C wrote:
>>> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>>>
>>> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
>>> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
>>> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
>>> internal IDE drive.)
>>>
>>> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
>>> to 50min, oscillating about.
>>>
>>> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
>>> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
>>> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
>>> 12MBytes/s.
>>> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
>>>
>>> Oh well...
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>>>

>>
>> can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
>> crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
>> copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station
>> usb ports has issues...
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing
>>

>
> What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image to an
> a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a laptop so the hd
> is'nt the fastest....so it should take about 10mins for 1.5Gb....
>
> What I did notice was if I tried to do anything on my desktop (web
> browsing, docs etc) while transferring the time estimate went up
> 25%...so if your server is busy doing things it may not be the drives
> fault.
>
> regards
>
> thing
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


I just checked between a usb2 port on the laptop and a usb2 port on the
docking station and the estimated time is the same...so docking station
port seems OK.

regards

Thing




Chris Wilkinson 03-19-2008 09:17 PM

Re: Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
 
Hi there,

Mark C wrote:
> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>
> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
> internal IDE drive.)
>
> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
> to 50min, oscillating about.
>
> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
> 12MBytes/s.


Is it one large file or hundreds/thousands of small ones?

I did the exercise of moving multiple GB's of stuff from
a desktop PC to my laptop via my 40GB camcorder over usb2.
Copying the files individually (over 100,000) took ages,
but another copy I did I zipped them all first - using just
one (big) zip took probably only a quarter as long to copy
but the zipping process added most of the time saved back
on... :-)

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
"Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
or not they wanted all these wars"...

Mark C 03-20-2008 12:09 AM

Re: Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
 
Mark C <mark.c@somewhere.invalid> wrote in
news:03217715$0$14503$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com:
> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?


I just tested an older DSE 128MB stick, and could copy the same files
to it @ 1MBytes/s to 7MBytes/s averaging 4MBytes/s, much faster than
the 2GB stick (which averaged 400KBytes/s)

When mounting the 2GB stick, it declared itself to be a hard-disk
drive: DSE site says: "utilizes an OTi-2168 USB2.0 mass storage class
controller. This RISC processor based controller makes linear flash
device arrays look likes a normal disk".
Perhaps that's getting in the way, or W2K does not like that style of
driver.


Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote in
news:frqn0a$ajg$10@lust.ihug.co.nz:
> I suppose it's worth trying another system, just for comparison.


I'll get my friend to test it on their system.


Brian Mathews <bm@yummy.conn> wrote in
news:ulq1u39pn02pn4uuga0lvci70jbf5jomgo@4ax.com:
> Do not run speed test tools on Flash drives as you can easly
> kill them, ie ware them out.


Noted, thanks.

> Do you no the Rated speed R/W of the Flash drive, most of these
> Cheap or no brand ones are very slow.


No I don't, it just says USB 2.0 Hi-Speed on the DSE website.


thingy <thingy@not.here.commy> wrote in
news:8k68b5-ov1.ln1@news.vuw.ac.nz:
news:3l98b5-2t7.ln1@news.vuw.ac.nz:
> can win2k handle usb2 properly?


(See above) it has handled it OK so far, fast on my USB external HDD.
I believe W2K is fully functional re USB2.

> DSE stuff is some times really crappy....


I can believe that!

> What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image
> to an a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a
> laptop so the hd is'nt the fastest....so it should take about
> 10mins for 1.5Gb....


The server was idle, and had heaps of free memory (~600MB).


Chris Wilkinson <nospamhere@earth.com> wrote in
news:47e182cd$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au:
> Is it one large file or hundreds/thousands of small ones?


About 200 ~8MB (MP3) files.


Thanks to all.

Brian Mathews 03-20-2008 12:14 AM

Re: Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
 
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:28:51 +1300, thingy <thingy@not.here.commy> wrote:

>thingy wrote:
>> Mark C wrote:
>>> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>>>
>>> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
>>> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
>>> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
>>> internal IDE drive.)
>>>
>>> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
>>> to 50min, oscillating about.
>>>
>>> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
>>> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
>>> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
>>> 12MBytes/s.
>>> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
>>>
>>> Oh well...
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>>>

>>
>> can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
>> crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
>> copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station usb
>> ports has issues...
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing
>>

>
>What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image to an
>a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a laptop so the hd
>is'nt the fastest....so it should take about 10mins for 1.5Gb....
>
>What I did notice was if I tried to do anything on my desktop (web
>browsing, docs etc) while transferring the time estimate went up
>25%...so if your server is busy doing things it may not be the drives fault.
>
>regards
>
>thing
>
>
>
>
>
>
>




USB is a CPU Hog...

Dave Doe 03-20-2008 12:31 AM

Re: Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
 
In article <03217715$0$14503$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
mark.c@somewhere.invalid says...
> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>
> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
> internal IDE drive.)
>
> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
> to 50min, oscillating about.
>
> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
> 12MBytes/s.
>
> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.


Yeah, but does your *computer* support USB2. I suspect it is USB 1 or
1.1 only.

Control Panel, System, Hardware, Devices - expand the USB controllers -
and if you don't see the word "enhanced" - you don't have USB2.

--
Duncan


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.