Velocity Reviews

-   -   This could happen only to ME! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t599062-this-could-happen-only-to-me.html)

ChrisCoaster 03-15-2008 09:31 PM

This could happen only to ME!

I'm the guy who posted earlier about the slow Gateway 1200 system that
might have had malware on it.

Well, I finally gave in and purchased a new system altogether - HP
Pavillion, Vista, MS Office 2007, 3Gig RAM.

So I attempted to open a PowerPoint file created in Office '95 - and
guess what? PowerPoint 2007 didn't recognize it!!

This is indeed a paradox in the sense that MS Office applications are
supposed to be retroactive/backward compatible, right?

Now I have to learn to recreate the whole thing again in 2007,
something that will take 2 hours instead of the 20 minutes it did to
create in '95 because I need to learn PowerPoint '07's crazy layout!

Damn! You just can't make this **** up!

-CC

Jimbo 03-16-2008 08:14 AM

Re: This could happen only to ME!

"ChrisCoaster" <ckozicki@snet.net> wrote in message
> I'm the guy who posted earlier about the slow Gateway 1200 system that
> might have had malware on it.
>

> Well, I finally gave in and purchased a new system altogether - HP
> Pavillion, Vista, MS Office 2007, 3Gig RAM.
>
> So I attempted to open a PowerPoint file created in Office '95 - and
> guess what? PowerPoint 2007 didn't recognize it!!
>
> This is indeed a paradox in the sense that MS Office applications are
> supposed to be retroactive/backward compatible, right?
>
> Now I have to learn to recreate the whole thing again in 2007,
> something that will take 2 hours instead of the 20 minutes it did to
> create in '95 because I need to learn PowerPoint '07's crazy layout!
>
> Damn! You just can't make this **** up!

What's even more strange is my situation.
I have Office 2003 and needed to modify a Word 2007 doc..
I found a free download from Microsoft that converted the newer doc to the
older format and with in almost no time at all I was back to production.

You would think that if Microsoft could create a conversion program that
would convert newer docs to older software, they could build in the
conversion in the other direction.

Baron 03-16-2008 03:31 PM

ChrisCoaster wrote:

> I'm the guy who posted earlier about the slow Gateway 1200 system that
> might have had malware on it.

Expensive way of getting rid of malware ! :-)

> Well, I finally gave in and purchased a new system altogether - HP
> Pavillion, Vista, MS Office 2007, 3Gig RAM.
>
> So I attempted to open a PowerPoint file created in Office '95 - and
> guess what? PowerPoint 2007 didn't recognize it!!
>
> This is indeed a paradox in the sense that MS Office applications are
> supposed to be retroactive/backward compatible, right?

Now what ever made you think that ?

> Now I have to learn to recreate the whole thing again in 2007,
> something that will take 2 hours instead of the 20 minutes it did to
> create in '95 because I need to learn PowerPoint '07's crazy layout!
>
> Damn! You just can't make this **** up!

True !

> -CC

PS Office 95 Pro should run under XP don't know about Vista though.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Baron 03-16-2008 03:33 PM

Jimbo wrote:

> "ChrisCoaster" <ckozicki@snet.net> wrote in message

>> I'm the guy who posted earlier about the slow Gateway 1200 system
>> that might have had malware on it.
>>

>> Well, I finally gave in and purchased a new system altogether - HP
>> Pavillion, Vista, MS Office 2007, 3Gig RAM.
>>
>> So I attempted to open a PowerPoint file created in Office '95 - and
>> guess what? PowerPoint 2007 didn't recognize it!!
>>
>> This is indeed a paradox in the sense that MS Office applications are
>> supposed to be retroactive/backward compatible, right?
>>
>> Now I have to learn to recreate the whole thing again in 2007,
>> something that will take 2 hours instead of the 20 minutes it did to
>> create in '95 because I need to learn PowerPoint '07's crazy layout!
>>
>> Damn! You just can't make this **** up!
>>

> What's even more strange is my situation.
> I have Office 2003 and needed to modify a Word 2007 doc..
> I found a free download from Microsoft that converted the newer doc to
> the older format and with in almost no time at all I was back to
> production.
>
> You would think that if Microsoft could create a conversion program
> that would convert newer docs to older software, they could build in
> the conversion in the other direction.

There is no money to be made doing that! The idea is to sell you new
software, again & again & ......
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Jimbo 03-18-2008 05:54 AM

"Baron" <baron.nospam@linuxmainiac.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Jimbo wrote:
>

>> "ChrisCoaster" <ckozicki@snet.net> wrote in message

>>> I'm the guy who posted earlier about the slow Gateway 1200 system
>>> that might have had malware on it.
>>>

>>> Well, I finally gave in and purchased a new system altogether - HP
>>> Pavillion, Vista, MS Office 2007, 3Gig RAM.
>>>
>>> So I attempted to open a PowerPoint file created in Office '95 - and
>>> guess what? PowerPoint 2007 didn't recognize it!!
>>>
>>> This is indeed a paradox in the sense that MS Office applications are
>>> supposed to be retroactive/backward compatible, right?
>>>
>>> Now I have to learn to recreate the whole thing again in 2007,
>>> something that will take 2 hours instead of the 20 minutes it did to
>>> create in '95 because I need to learn PowerPoint '07's crazy layout!
>>>
>>> Damn! You just can't make this **** up!
>>>

>> What's even more strange is my situation.
>> I have Office 2003 and needed to modify a Word 2007 doc..
>> I found a free download from Microsoft that converted the newer doc to
>> the older format and with in almost no time at all I was back to
>> production.
>>
>> You would think that if Microsoft could create a conversion program
>> that would convert newer docs to older software, they could build in
>> the conversion in the other direction.

> There is no money to be made doing that! The idea is to sell you new
> software, again & again & ......
> --
> Best Regards:
> Baron.

I would think that a program that can read older software doc's and convert
them to newer standards would be a selling point. While, older software not
being able to read the newer standard would also be a selling point for the
newer software. You could upgrade and still be able to access the older
files.

In this case it looks like the reverse is true. You can use the older
software to read, through a free conversion program, the newer stuff but you
can't read the older stuff with the newer software. It looks like MicroCrap
is shooting them self in the foot with this decision.

Why buy the new program when you can't read the older stuff but, with the
older program, and conversion utility, you can read some of the newer stuff?

Baron 03-18-2008 09:18 PM

Jimbo wrote:

> "Baron" <baron.nospam@linuxmainiac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Jimbo wrote:
>>

>>> "ChrisCoaster" <ckozicki@snet.net> wrote in message

>>> What's even more strange is my situation.
>>> I have Office 2003 and needed to modify a Word 2007 doc..
>>> I found a free download from Microsoft that converted the newer doc
>>> to the older format and with in almost no time at all I was back to
>>> production.
>>>
>>> You would think that if Microsoft could create a conversion program
>>> that would convert newer docs to older software, they could build in
>>> the conversion in the other direction.

>> There is no money to be made doing that! The idea is to sell you new
>> software, again & again & ......
>> --
>> Best Regards:
>> Baron.

> I would think that a program that can read older software doc's and
> convert them to newer standards would be a selling point. While, older
> software not being able to read the newer standard would also be a
> selling point for the newer software. You could upgrade and still be
> able to access the older files.
>
> In this case it looks like the reverse is true. You can use the older
> software to read, through a free conversion program, the newer stuff
> but you can't read the older stuff with the newer software. It looks
> like MicroCrap is shooting them self in the foot with this decision.
>
> Why buy the new program when you can't read the older stuff but, with
> the older program, and conversion utility, you can read some of the
> newer stuff?

Its daft I agree!
Try "Open Office" "openoffice.org" Its a free download.
I stopped using M$ products a long time ago!
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Jimbo 03-19-2008 07:32 AM

> Jimbo wrote:
>

>> "Baron" <baron.nospam@linuxmainiac.nospam.net> wrote in message

>>> There is no money to be made doing that! The idea is to sell you new
>>> software, again & again & ......
>>> --
>>> Best Regards:
>>> Baron.

>> I would think that a program that can read older software doc's and
>> convert them to newer standards would be a selling point. While, older
>> software not being able to read the newer standard would also be a
>> selling point for the newer software. You could upgrade and still be
>> able to access the older files.
>>
>> In this case it looks like the reverse is true. You can use the older
>> software to read, through a free conversion program, the newer stuff
>> but you can't read the older stuff with the newer software. It looks
>> like MicroCrap is shooting them self in the foot with this decision.
>>
>> Why buy the new program when you can't read the older stuff but, with
>> the older program, and conversion utility, you can read some of the
>> newer stuff?

> Its daft I agree!
> Try "Open Office" "openoffice.org" Its a free download.
> I stopped using M$ products a long time ago!
> --
> Best Regards:
> Baron.

Thanks Baron for the advice.

I have already installed it on the kids computer a couple of years ago.
I just have a problem when I am using it to modify a customers Word doc at
the office. It is not 100% compatible (98% maybe) and my business depends on
100% satisfaction of my customers.

My business is a victim of the mass driven market. If I had it my way then
everyone would be using UNIX or at least Linux and only associated programs.
The problem is that M$ does have a slight advantage in the area of "Out of
the box usability and glitz" area as long as you only want to use it the way
that M$ and the computer uneducated masses want you to use it.

It's sad that the world is driven by the mass uneducated, not just in the
world of computers but in general.

Baron 03-19-2008 08:20 PM

Jimbo wrote:

> "Baron" <baron.nospam@linuxmainiac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Jimbo wrote:
>>

>>> "Baron" <baron.nospam@linuxmainiac.nospam.net> wrote in message

>>> I would think that a program that can read older software doc's and
>>> convert them to newer standards would be a selling point. While,
>>> older software not being able to read the newer standard would also
>>> be a selling point for the newer software. You could upgrade and
>>> still be able to access the older files.
>>>
>>> In this case it looks like the reverse is true. You can use the
>>> older software to read, through a free conversion program, the newer
>>> stuff but you can't read the older stuff with the newer software. It
>>> looks like MicroCrap is shooting them self in the foot with this
>>> decision.
>>>
>>> Why buy the new program when you can't read the older stuff but,
>>> with the older program, and conversion utility, you can read some of
>>> the newer stuff?

>> Its daft I agree!
>> Try "Open Office" "openoffice.org" Its a free download.
>> I stopped using M$ products a long time ago!
>> --
>> Best Regards:
>> Baron.

> Thanks Baron for the advice.
>
> I have already installed it on the kids computer a couple of years
> ago. I just have a problem when I am using it to modify a customers
> Word doc at the office. It is not 100% compatible (98% maybe) and my
> business depends on 100% satisfaction of my customers.

Two years ago!! I hope that you have got the latest version 2.3
something. It has come on in leaps and bounds over this time.

As far as clients go I have never had a problem with compatability
issues. Having said that, virtually all of them are no longer running
any M$ software at all. The big thorn used to be Sage Accounting and
Payroll but since it now runs under Linux that problem has gone.

> My business is a victim of the mass driven market. If I had it my way
> then everyone would be using UNIX or at least Linux and only
> associated programs. The problem is that M$ does have a slight
> advantage in the area of "Out of the box usability and glitz" area as
> long as you only want to use it the way that M$ and the computer
> uneducated masses want you to use it.

I agree, that is most domestic clients, made worse by the
schools/education system's insistence on using M$ products for teaching
without informing students that there are alternatives!

> It's sad that the world is driven by the mass uneducated, not just in
> the world of computers but in general.

Well they say evolution has a way of evening things out.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

ChrisCoaster 03-28-2008 09:16 PM

On Mar 18, 1:54*am, "Jimbo" <chris...@cox.net> wrote:
> "Baron" <baron.nos...@linuxmainiac.nospam.net> wrote in message

> > Jimbo wrote:

> >> "ChrisCoaster" <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote in message

> >> What's even more strange is my situation.
> >> I have Office 2003 and needed to modify a Word 2007 doc..
> >> I found a free download from Microsoft that converted the newer doc to
> >> the older format and with in almost no time at all I was back to
> >> production.

> >> You would think that if Microsoft could create a conversion program
> >> that would convert newer docs to older software, they could build in
> >> the conversion in the other direction.

> > There is no money to be made doing that! *The idea is to sell you new
> > software, again & again & ......
> > --
> > Best Regards:
> > * * * * * * * * * * Baron.

> I would think that a program that can read older software doc's and convert
> them to newer standards would be a selling point. While, older software not
> being able to read the newer standard would also be a selling point for the
> newer software. You could upgrade and still be able to access the older
> files.
>
> In this case it looks like the reverse is true. You can use the older
> software to read, through a free conversion program, the newer stuff but you
> can't read the older stuff with the newer software. It looks like MicroCrap
> is shooting them self in the foot with this decision.
>
> Why buy the new program when you can't read the older stuff but, with the
> older program, and conversion utility, you can read some of the newer stuff?- Hide quoted text -

______________________
Jimbo,

I still have Office 95 - in which most of my home powerpoint stuff was
created. Should I have the option of installing it into another
folder within Program Files so I can resort to it if I need to edit my
older powerpoint files?

This seems ridiculous as Office 2007 has no problem opening and
reading all my Word95 and Excel95 stuff. PowerPoint07 won't even read
stuff from '03!

Apparently Office 2007 uses new suffixes ( ***.pptX) note the "x" on
the end. But that doesn't explain why it won't read only PowerPoint
from the older versions.

-CC

ChrisCoaster 03-29-2008 07:56 PM

On Mar 28, 5:16*pm, ChrisCoaster <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 1:54*am, "Jimbo" <chris...@cox.net> wrote:
>

> > "Baron" <baron.nos...@linuxmainiac.nospam.net> wrote in message

> > > There is no money to be made doing that! *The idea is to sell you new
> > > software, again & again & ......
> > > --
> > > Best Regards:
> > > * * * * * * * * * * Baron.

> > I would think that a program that can read older software doc's and convert
> > them to newer standards would be a selling point. While, older software not
> > being able to read the newer standard would also be a selling point for the
> > newer software. You could upgrade and still be able to access the older
> > files.

> > In this case it looks like the reverse is true. You can use the older
> > software to read, through a free conversion program, the newer stuff but you
> > can't read the older stuff with the newer software. It looks like MicroCrap
> > is shooting them self in the foot with this decision.

> > Why buy the new program when you can't read the older stuff but, with the
> > older program, and conversion utility, you can read some of the newer stuff?- Hide quoted text -

> ______________________
> Jimbo,
>
> I still have Office 95 - in which most of my home powerpoint stuff was
> created. *Should I have the option of installing it into another
> folder within Program Files so I can resort to it if I need to edit my
> older powerpoint files?
>
> This seems ridiculous as Office 2007 has no problem opening and
> reading all my Word95 and Excel95 stuff. *PowerPoint07 won't even read
> stuff from '03!
>
> Apparently Office 2007 uses new suffixes ( ***.pptX) note the "x" on
> the end. But that doesn't explain why it won't read only PowerPoint
> from the older versions.
>
> -CC- Hide quoted text -

Come on, this is a simple question about a simple issue - can I
install Office '95 in its own folder separate from Office 2007?

-CC