Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wireless adapter not recognized (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t599015-wireless-adapter-not-recognized.html)

Mark 03-15-2008 04:38 PM

Wireless adapter not recognized

My computer does not recognize my wireless adapter.

I am using a Linksys wireless router. I have 3 other computers in my home
and they all worked as soon as I plugged in the adapters without any
additional setup.

When I right-click "View Available Wireless Networks" I get a long-winded
message saying "Windows cannot configure this connection." I have tried
running the Linksys softeware but it makes no difference. When I right-click
on every other computer I ever used, it gives me a list of other signals it
is receiving.

I have swapped out the adapter with other, with no luck (the others work on
my other computers, so I know my router works and the adapters work, and I
am in range.)

My computer is a Dell Dimension B100, about 1-1/2 years old. I am runiing
Windows XP. At one time it worked great; now it MAY get a signal just by
chance when it feels like it.

This seemed to occur when I installed an HP printer/scanner. I used system
restore to an date before I had the printer and it worked. When I
reinstalled the printer it stopped working again. It could be a coincidence,
but I don't know how a printer would affect a wireless connection.

I am not only computer illiterate, but a complete dunderhead, so please try
to keep answers simple! I appreciate any help!

Jeff Strickland 03-15-2008 06:38 PM

Re: Wireless adapter not recognized

The wireless adaptor's front end is running the show, this is why the
Windows Wireless does not work.

You can return control to Windows by selecting the wireless network dialog,
and choosing Advanced, then check the box that says to let Windows control
the show. This is at the top of the Advanced dialog box.

I assume you have loaded the driver for your wireless adaptor. You have to
load this first.

If the wireless is already installed -- and I assume it is -- then you have
to install the driver, then reboot the machine so the adaptor is found on
boot up. You need the CD for the adaptor, NOT the software for the router.
The adaptor is giving you trouble, not the router.

If the wireless adaptor worked at one time, but does not work now, then you
have to choose the Repair option from the Network Setup screen. Finally, you
might need to turn the router off for 20-ish seconds then turn it back on.
If this fixes it, you should have problems with other machines connected to
the same router, and you said they are okay.

- Bobb - 03-29-2008 02:18 PM

Re: Wireless adapter not recognized

"Mark" <MarkNilsen@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> My computer does not recognize my wireless adapter.

<< sinpped>>

> This seemed to occur when I installed an HP printer/scanner. I used
> system restore to an date before I had the printer and it worked. When I
> reinstalled the printer it stopped working again. It could be a
> coincidence, but I don't know how a printer would affect a wireless
> connection.
>
> I am not only computer illiterate, but a complete dunderhead, so please
> try to keep answers simple! I appreciate any help!

You seem to have proven that it is the HP software. What model printer ?
DO you really NEED their software , or maybe just the driver would be
enough ?? Often HP software is a boatload of "nice to have - but totally
unnecessary" stuff that bogs down the PC/memory. If you DO need the HP
software at least thry CUSTOM installation if asked ( as opposed to
"Typical install")