Velocity Reviews

-   -   Changing a control on a masterpage that uses a second masterpage (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t598712-changing-a-control-on-a-masterpage-that-uses-a-second-masterpage.html)

Torben Laursen 03-14-2008 01:11 PM

Changing a control on a masterpage that uses a second masterpage

I want to change the label of a component that I have on a masterpage but I
cannot get my hands on it
I have a mastepage MP2 that has a button called B2
masterpage MP2 uses masterpage MP1 that has a button called B1

I then have a page called default and in the page load I tryed:
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button B10 =
(System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button)Master.FindContr ol("B1");
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button B20 =
(System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button)Master.FindContr ol("B2");

However both B10 and B20 is null.

So how do I get my hands on B1 and B2 so I can set there label?

Thanks Torben

clintonG 03-14-2008 01:38 PM

Re: Changing a control on a masterpage that uses a second masterpage

I haven't used --nested-- Master Pages yet but they must still compile into
the same control tree as any other page. I've had insight by enabling
trace="true" on the page and then looking for the control I wanted to
reference in the control tree. Then its a matter of using the FindControl
method which gets ugly as it often has to be used repeatedly in the same
statement. That is what is called late binding.

You can try early binding by developing a Property for the label control
which allows direct access to the control by referencing its property.
Here's some notes I copied out of a file...

//A master page can expose properties by simply making
//those properties public within the master page.

//private string _someProperty;
//public string SomeProperty
//{
// get { return _someProperty; }
// set { _someProperty = value; }
//}

Torben Laursen 03-14-2008 02:31 PM

Re: Changing a control on a masterpage that uses a second masterpage

Thanks,

I tryed this. I made a property on both master pages so I can access the 2
buttons.

But using this method I can only get MP2.

So I still need a way to access both B1 and B2

Torben

PJ on Development 03-14-2008 07:51 PM

Re: Changing a control on a masterpage that uses a second masterpage

Hi,

Let me see if I understood your problem

You have a scenario like this:

+------------
| Master Page 1
|
| +-----------
| | Master Page 2
| |
| | +----------
| | | Content Page
| | |

And you're trying to access from Content Page a control on the Master
Page 1. Am I correct?

If so, I think you can do the following

Private Sub ContentPage_Load(sender as Object, e as EventArgs) Handles
Me.Load

Dim mp2 As MasterPage = Me.Master
Dim mp1 As MasterPage = mp2.Master

Dim btn1 As Button = CType(mp1.FindControl("btnMaster1"),
Button)
Dim btn2 As Button =
CType(mp1.FindControl("ContentPlaceHolder1").FindC ontrol("btnMaster2"),
Button)

btn1.Text = "MP1 Changed from Content Page"
btn2.Text = "MP2 Changed from Content Page"

End Sub

I've put up a sample test project at http://rapidshare.com/files/99551862...rPage.zip.html

Anyways, the problem is that when using nested Master Pages, the
hierarchy is created on the top most Master Page.

And as you can see by the code snippet the ContentPlaceHolder is build
into the hierarchy.

Regards,

Paulo Santos
http://pjondevelopment.50webs.com

clintonG 03-15-2008 03:27 AM

Re: Changing a control on a masterpage that uses a second masterpage

Which is why enabling trace is so useful for referencing controls.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

"PJ on Development" <pjondevelopment@gmail.com> wrote in message
Hi,

Let me see if I understood your problem