Velocity Reviews

-   -   New to 64! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t597560-new-to-64-a.html)

DancingGopher 03-10-2008 09:36 PM

New to 64!

I'm new to x64. I just reformatted from XP Pro and loaded up XP Pro x64. I
must say, I am surprised that many people are having so many problems. On
that note, I would offer one word of advice...Do your research!...I Googled
my brains off before I ever loaded XP x64 onto my system. I first found out
about the drivers needing to be x64. That was no problem, since NVidia makes
them now. I also found drivers for my Audigy SE sound card and my Canon Pixma
printer. The only thing I am working on now is what kind of Java to install.
the x64 version or the x32. I need it for Limewire Pro. I also wrote my
support people for some of the apps I used to use, asking them if their
software supports x64 and I also found, on my own, many, many apps that
support x64, like AMUST Registry Cleaner. Overall, so far, I am very pleased
with the progress of how my install is going. The system is fast and stable
and I down downloaded all of the possible Windows Updates. I also wrote a
few tech support sites like Tech Support Guy and Protonic, both of which are
free.
--
DancingGopher

John Barnes 03-10-2008 09:56 PM

Re: New to 64!

Congratulations. You need the 32-bit version of Java. See Carlos post Two
not so necessary updates dated 3/9

Charlie Russel - MVP 03-11-2008 12:52 AM

Re: New to 64!

Welcome. As John says, you'll want the 32-bit Java. And thank you for doing
the research! We've learned a lot about what works and what doesn't in
64bit, and planning ahead makes the transition much less painful, as you've
observed.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Carlos 03-11-2008 06:53 PM

Re: New to 64!

And after installing Java, I recommend going here:
http://www.upshot.com/login/javatest...avavmtest.html
in order to test whether the installation was successful or not.
Carlos