Velocity Reviews

-   -   Warning: Unresponsive script (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t597540-warning-unresponsive-script.html)

bassbag 03-10-2008 07:58 PM

Warning: Unresponsive script

Since WWW.bbc.co.uk has changed the layout of its webpage ,i get the page
taking ages to load and a firefox warning box that says
"A script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding.You
can stop the script now or you can continue to see if the script completes"
If i then click stop script the page loads.This doesnt seem to happen with
IE 6 ( i guess because i have "disable script debugging) ticked.How can i
do the same in firefox and stop the annoying delay opening the webpage?
tia
me

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 03-10-2008 09:43 PM

Re: Warning: Unresponsive script

bassbag wrote:
> Since WWW.bbc.co.uk has changed the layout of its webpage ,i get the page
> taking ages to load and a firefox warning box that says
> "A script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding.You
> can stop the script now or you can continue to see if the script completes"
> If i then click stop script the page loads.This doesnt seem to happen with
> IE 6 ( i guess because i have "disable script debugging) ticked.How can i
> do the same in firefox and stop the annoying delay opening the webpage?
> tia
> me

nope, I don't get that message on the link you provided.
Anyways, the script there talking about is javascript. Have
you got that turned off? Also, try emptying the cache and
the cookies, and see if that helps.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

AlanM 03-11-2008 12:01 AM

Re: Warning: Unresponsive script

I just pasted your the BBC link into my Firefox browser. Three seconds
to completely load. Obviously no help from this end, sorry.

bassbag 03-12-2008 10:33 PM

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>bassbag wrote:
>>Since WWW.bbc.co.uk has changed the layout of its webpage ,i get the page
>>taking ages to load and a firefox warning box that says
>>"A script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding.You
>>can stop the script now or you can continue to see if the script
>>completes"
>>If i then click stop script the page loads.This doesnt seem to happen with
>> IE 6 ( i guess because i have "disable script debugging) ticked.How can i do the same in firefox and stop the annoying delay opening the webpage?
>>tia
>>me

>nope, I don't get that message on the link you provided. Anyways, the
>script there talking about is javascript. Have you got that turned off?
>Also, try emptying the cache and the cookies, and see if that helps.

Hello..
I have javascript turned on , and ive ive tried emptying the cache/cookies
etc but i stiil get the message.Firefox error console brings this warning
message up.

Warning: Unknown property 'list-marker'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.bbc.co.uk/home/beta/8.0/s...mepage.min.css
Line: 1

Is BBC homepage a beta now?.Not sure whats going on here other than IE6
doesnt seem to have the problem.
me

bassbag 03-12-2008 10:34 PM

AlanM wrote:

>I just pasted your the BBC link into my Firefox browser. Three seconds to
>completely load. Obviously no help from this end, sorry.
>
>bassbag wrote:
>>Since WWW.bbc.co.uk has changed the layout of its webpage ,i get the page
>>taking ages to load and a firefox warning box that says
>>"A script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding.You
>>can stop the script now or you can continue to see if the script
>>completes"
>>If i then click stop script the page loads.This doesnt seem to happen
>>with IE 6 ( i guess because i have "disable script debugging) ticked.How
>>can i do the same in firefox and stop the annoying delay opening the
>>webpage?
>>tia
>>me

Thanks for checking.I guess its some configuration issue on my OS/browser.
me

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 03-12-2008 11:31 PM

bassbag wrote:
> AlanM wrote:
>
>> I just pasted your the BBC link into my Firefox browser. Three seconds to
>> completely load. Obviously no help from this end, sorry.
>>
>> bassbag wrote:
>>> Since WWW.bbc.co.uk has changed the layout of its webpage ,i get the page
>>> taking ages to load and a firefox warning box that says
>>> "A script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding.You
>>> can stop the script now or you can continue to see if the script
>>> completes"
>>> If i then click stop script the page loads.This doesnt seem to happen
>>> with IE 6 ( i guess because i have "disable script debugging) ticked.How
>>> can i do the same in firefox and stop the annoying delay opening the
>>> webpage?
>>> tia
>>> me

> Thanks for checking.I guess its some configuration issue on my OS/browser.
> me

what OS are you using? When I used to have win98, I used to
get that message a lot. Now that I have xp I don't.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Roger Hird 03-13-2008 10:17 AM

Re: Warning: Unresponsive script

In article <fr9oqu$ljq$1@aioe.org>,
<peter.potamus.the.purple.hippo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for checking.I guess its some configuration issue on my
> > OS/browser. me
> >

> what OS are you using? When I used to have win98, I used to
> get that message a lot. Now that I have xp I don't.

I use Firefox 2.0.0.12 on XP - with up to date Java.

I usually use http://news.bbc.co.uk/ for the Beeb and have no/never had
any problems. But clicking the link from this to the home page (which has
been radically redesigned since I last visited it some time ago) just now
I got a delay and then a message about an unresponsive script. Clicking
the box to stop the script I got through to the home page and was able to
click to and fro between the home and news pages happily a couple of
times.

I then closed and reopened Firefox and typed in www.bbc.co.uk and it came
up as one would expect.

Any help?

Ant help?

--
Roger Hird
rl.hird@orpheusmail.co.uk

bassbag 03-13-2008 10:36 PM

Re: Warning: Unresponsive script

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>bassbag wrote:
>>AlanM wrote:
>>
>>>I just pasted your the BBC link into my Firefox browser. Three seconds to
>>>completely load. Obviously no help from this end, sorry.

>>Thanks for checking.I guess its some configuration issue on my OS/browser.
>>me
>>

>what OS are you using? When I used to have win98, I used to get that
>message a lot. Now that I have xp I don't.

Im using w2k.Ive never had that message until the bbc site changed its
layout recently.

bassbag 03-13-2008 10:38 PM

Roger Hird wrote:

>In article <fr9oqu$ljq$1@aioe.org>,
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
><peter.potamus.the.purple.hippo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>Thanks for checking.I guess its some configuration issue on my
>>>OS/browser. me
>>>

>>what OS are you using? When I used to have win98, I used to
>>get that message a lot. Now that I have xp I don't.

>I use Firefox 2.0.0.12 on XP - with up to date Java.
>
>I usually use http://news.bbc.co.uk/ for the Beeb and have no/never had
>any problems. But clicking the link from this to the home page (which has
>been radically redesigned since I last visited it some time ago) just now
>I got a delay and then a message about an unresponsive script. Clicking
>the box to stop the script I got through to the home page and was able to
>click to and fro between the home and news pages happily a couple of
>times.
>
>I then closed and reopened Firefox and typed in www.bbc.co.uk and it came
>up as one would expect.
>
>Any help?
>

>Ant help?

Mmm glad im not the only one.Its only since the site has been redesigned
that im getting this problem.It seems to be intermittent and only at that
site so far.

kaplan3jiim@example.com 03-14-2008 02:53 AM

Re: Warning: Unresponsive script

I have started seeing this lately on some other sites. Usually I
choose not to stop the script, and all settled down. Thought it might
be a delay introduced by internet security software on my machine,
although it began under Norton Systemworks and continues under Avast.