Velocity Reviews

-   -   Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your main hard drive? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t597189-any-of-you-out-there-have-a-laptop-with-a-solid-state-drive-as-your-main-hard-drive.html)

Spin 03-09-2008 12:52 PM

Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your main hard drive?

Gurus,

Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your main
hard drive? If so, how do you like the performance?

--
Spin

Cpt.Nemo 03-09-2008 04:43 PM

Re: Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your main hard drive?

the hd costs more than the lappy

Spin 03-09-2008 08:48 PM

Re: Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your main hard drive?

That wasn't my question.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-09-2008 08:56 PM

Spin wrote:

> That wasn't my question.

Maybe you could find the answer in your magazine?

(Do you own the domain name spin.com? If not, you are abusing it,
causing spam to be sent to the real owner's mail server.)

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

Spin 03-09-2008 11:59 PM

Re: Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your main hard drive?

I do not own the magazine. I choose the name randomly.

Mike Easter 03-10-2008 12:26 AM

Spin wrote:
> I do not own the magazine. I choose the name randomly.

BTS is trying to teach you some net 'orientation' or savvy or
netiquette.

Some politeness in usenet is to communicate as well as possible and to
not be rude or harmful to others.

When you choose a domainname (the part on the right side of the @ in
your From) for mungeing your email address, you should choose a
domainname which is invalid (now or in the future) rather than one that
belongs to someone else now or in the future. spin.com belongs to
someone else -- you don't want the usernames there to get the spam you
are trying to avoid by not using your own address.

Also, when you reply to a post such as BTS's, you should either properly
attribute the persona you are replying to and then trim away everything
you aren't replying and then properly context your reply remark under an
empty line under the words you are replying. You should do that to help
us understand what you are thinking about when you are typing your
words. When you type your words up there on top without putting them
right under anything, then there is no context for magazine or name to
help me know what you are talking about.

http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q1: What is "quoting" in
newsgroup postings? - Q2: How should I use the quoted text and arrange
it with my own text?

http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html How do I quote
correctly in Usenet? -- 2.1 How much should I quote? - 2.2 What should
not be quoted? - 2.3 Why should I place my response below the quoted
text?

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter 03-10-2008 12:35 AM

Re: Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your main hard drive?

Oops. I left out the 'or'

Mike Easter wrote:

> when you reply [...] you should either...

.... you should either structure the attribution, with trimming and
context,

-or-

alternatively, you can paraphrase or summarize who said what in your own
words to provide a context or meaning for what it is that you are
replying to. Almost everyone finds that properly structuring the -
attribution - trim - context - works much faster and better; more
efficiency

--
Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-10-2008 12:42 AM

Spin wrote:

> I do not own the magazine. I choose the name randomly.

That's what I thought. You need to change it so the Usenet spam
harvesting bots don't grab it and send spam to the spin.com server.

Use: spin@example.invalid for your munge instead. Yes, exactly like
that.

Jerry McBride 03-10-2008 12:58 AM

Spin wrote:

> Gurus,
>
> Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your main
> hard drive? If so, how do you like the performance?

It's anywhere from usable to slightly better than a regular drive. The real
gain is the reduction in power requirements... thus longer battery life.

--

Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

M.L. 03-10-2008 09:32 AM

Re: Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your main hard drive?

>> Any of you out there have a laptop with a solid-state drive as your
>> main hard drive? If so, how do you like the performance?

> It's anywhere from usable to slightly better than a regular drive.
> The real gain is the reduction in power requirements... thus longer
> battery life.

But don't solid-state drives have fewer lifetime read/write cycles
(approx 100,000) than a regular hard drive? In a practical sense I don't
know if the average user will ever hit such limits.