Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dual boot xp / Vista: How to change Order, boot to xp as default? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t597106-dual-boot-xp-vista-how-to-change-order-boot-to-xp-as-default.html)

lbbss 03-09-2008 02:25 AM

Dual boot xp / Vista: How to change Order, boot to xp as default?

Now that I added a partition and xp on the second partition. Vista
is by default the first OS listed. Most of the time I would prefer
to boot into xp, so I would like the first default boot option. How
do you switch the order? thanks.

VanguardLH 03-09-2008 10:00 AM

Re: Dual boot xp / Vista: How to change Order, boot to xp as default?

"lbbss" wrote in message
> Now that I added a partition and xp on the second partition. Vista
> is by default the first OS listed. Most of the time I would prefer
> to boot into xp, so I would like the first default boot option.
> How
> do you switch the order? thanks.

It used to be that you edited the boot.ini file (in root directory of
system drive) but Vista changed how booting works. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...tartup_process

I don't use Vista so either the article should lead you in the right
direction or you should go ask in a microsoft.public.* group for
Windows Vista. Personally I wouldn't bother with Microsoft's screwy
dual-booting scheme. I'd rather use a real boot manager, like GAG
(gag.sourceforge.net) which lets you play with the multi-booting setup
by using a floppy (so your boot scheme doesn't change that is on your
hard disk) and then lets you replace the MBR bootstrap program when
you feel the setup is correct. If you don't have a floppy, well, it
still runs as a standard multi-boot manager (in place of the standard
one in the MBR).

why? 03-09-2008 11:21 AM

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 18:25:07 -0800 (PST), lbbss wrote:

>Now that I added a partition and xp on the second partition. Vista
>is by default the first OS listed. Most of the time I would prefer
>to boot into xp, so I would like the first default boot option. How
>do you switch the order? thanks.

BCDEdit
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ot_manager.htm
the whole thing is different from the previous boot.ini process.

Or any one of the little apps that do this for you, VistaBootPro.

Looking in the Vista newsgroups, will have lots of the same question and
perhaps other suggestions as to which boot editors are good, easy and
perhaps free.

Even www.google.com and as it's a MS product, the MS support article

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...edit_reff.mspx
BCDEdit Commands for Boot Environment

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true
Boot Configuration Data Editor Frequently Asked Questions
or shorter
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2tfhf9

BCDEdit Command-Line Options
or shorter
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2w9gt4

Understanding Dual Booting in Vista
Examples:. The following command sets the specified entry as the default
boot manager entry:. bcdedit /default
{cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71} ...
www.vistaforums.com/forum/findpost415.aspx

Me