Velocity Reviews

-   -   Looking for a book about C with special criteria (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t597053-looking-for-a-book-about-c-with-special-criteria.html)

Francois 03-08-2008 06:25 PM

Looking for a book about C with special criteria

Hello everybody,

(sorry for my English, I'm French, I'll do my best)

I'm beginning C and personally I'm learning above all with books. I
started and finished a book for novice (a French book "Livre du C
premier langage" by Delannoy). I'm reading the K&R book (Kernighan and
Ritchie second edition) which is far more difficult of course but very
precise. However, I'm not fully satisfied with some things.

I find that this book has a too far away approach on the computer (or
achitecture, i don't the right word): how is a data coded in binary, how
does the problem of "signed" or "unsigned" happen from the point of view
of the computer...

Obviously, the C language is a "high level" one, which mustn't refer to
the computer (by principle). So that's logical that a book upon C
doesn't talk too much of the problems depending on the computer. And
yet, I'd like to know if such a book does exist. I mean a book which
exhibits C language and which doesn't hesitate in talking about what
happens in the computer from time to time: for example the book could
explain things from the point of view of "a classical" computer. For
sure, I'd like to avoid electronical considerations. For example, the
2's complement will be dealt explaining how things are easier from the
point of view of the computer, avoiding purely electronical
considerations if possible.

I hope I've been clear enough about the compromise I'm looking for (but
does it really exist?). For people who understand French, you can go and
see this discussion (in which my login is sisco) which gives more
precisions about my wishes:

http://www.siteduzero.com/forum-83-2...-variable.html

Thanks a lot in advance for helping me.

Sincerely

François

jacob navia 03-08-2008 06:50 PM

Re: Looking for a book about C with special criteria

Salut François

The best book about low level representations in C
and C++ is:

Memory as a Programming Concept in C and C++.
Frantisek Franek
Cambridge University Press.

VERY detailed.

--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr

Mark McIntyre 03-08-2008 07:17 PM

Francois wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Obviously, the C language is a "high level" one, which mustn't refer to
> the computer (by principle). So that's logical that a book upon C
> doesn't talk too much of the problems depending on the computer. And
> yet, I'd like to know if such a book does exist.

Yes, some probably exist.

However there will have to be a different book for each computer
architecture and then for each compiler written for the hardware.
Consider that gcc and msvc do things differently, even on Windows, while
gcc for Linux will do things differently again - all on the same
architecture. And then on Motorola chips, it will be different again....

And also, it won't really relate to C. Other languages might also do it
the same way on the same platform.

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

bab 03-08-2008 08:37 PM

Re: Looking for a book about C with special criteria

Try this:

http://csapp.cs.cmu.edu/

jacob navia 03-08-2008 08:50 PM

bab wrote:
> Try this:
>
> http://csapp.cs.cmu.edu/

That is a course for teaching computers to students, not
a book. The text is nowhere to be found there...
(At least no obvious link)

bab 03-08-2008 08:59 PM

Re: Looking for a book about C with special criteria

> That is a course for teaching computers to students, not
> a book. The text is nowhere to be found there...
> (At least no obvious link)

Are you serious?

The picture at the top left... that's a picture of the book. You can
read the title from there. Or you can look to the right and find:
Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective (CS:APP)
Randal E. Bryant and David R. O'Hallaron
Prentice Hall, 2003, ISBN 0-13-034074-X.

santosh 03-08-2008 09:00 PM

jacob navia wrote:

> bab wrote:
>> Try this:
>>
>> http://csapp.cs.cmu.edu/

> That is a course for teaching computers to students, not
> a book. The text is nowhere to be found there...
> (At least no obvious link)

A simple Google search with the ISBN code gives the following result as
the first hit.

<http://www.alibris.com/search/books/...uter%20Systems
%20A%20Programmer's%20Perspective>

Sorry if that wraps.

Francois 03-09-2008 01:20 AM

Re: Looking for a book about C with special criteria

Thank a lot.

I have to possibility :

[1] Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective

or

[2] Memory As a Programming Concept in C and C++

If I have understood, [1] doesn't talk about C. Is it true ?

I'll wished make the good choice, because the prices are a little expensive.

François

CBFalconer 03-09-2008 01:41 AM

Francois wrote:

> (sorry for my English, I'm French, I'll do my best)
>
> I'm beginning C and personally I'm learning above all with books.
> I started and finished a book for novice (a French book "Livre du
> C premier langage" by Delannoy). I'm reading the K&R book
> (Kernighan and Ritchie second edition) which is far more difficult
> of course but very precise. However, I'm not fully satisfied with
> some things.
>
> I find that this book has a too far away approach on the computer
> (or achitecture, i don't the right word): how is a data coded in
> binary, how does the problem of "signed" or "unsigned" happen
> from the point of view of the computer...

Take a look at the following links. In particular I recommend the
C standard listings, marked with "C99". The bzip2 compressed
version is text, easily searched with grep and all other text
tools. The point is that the C standard is the ultimate reference.

--
Some useful references about C:
<http://c-faq.com/> (C-faq)

zhz44 03-09-2008 02:24 AM

Re: Looking for a book about C with special criteria

have a look at "pointers on c" by Kenneth Reek