Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t596680-looking-for-super-quiet-economical-socket-754-cpu-cooling-fan.html)

Bob Bob 03-07-2008 04:05 AM

Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan
 
Hi
A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
helped a bit but not enough.
If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
Thank You.
BOB

catchme 03-07-2008 06:02 AM

Re: Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan
 
Bob Bob wrote:
> Hi
> A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
> supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
> I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
> helped a bit but not enough.
> If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
> the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
> Thank You.
> BOB


do some research for customer reviews on google, or talk to people "in
the know" within your trade (because obviously you are not), and for
gods sake man- think on your own feet!
were i to offer advise- whether in person or via a forum such as this-
for someone whom I know is being paid for their OWN (dubious) expertise,
i would demand 50% commission on the spot.

chuckieŽ 03-08-2008 12:49 AM

Re: Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan
 

"Bob Bob" <brickrow@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:444bc45c-ce03-4ce7-9960-e37b9dc5208e@d62g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> Hi
> A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
> supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
> I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
> helped a bit but not enough.
> If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
> the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
> Thank You.
> BOB


FWIW, I use the Arctic Silencer 64 Ultra TCL, very quiet, seems to work well
on my AMD 64/3000. Got it though NewEgg, IIRC, don't remember the
price...just my two cents...



Bob Bob 03-08-2008 04:12 AM

Re: Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan
 
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 00:49:43 GMT, "chuckieŽ" <chuckie@email.com>
wrote:

>
>"Bob Bob" <brickrow@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:444bc45c-ce03-4ce7-9960-e37b9dc5208e@d62g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
>> Hi
>> A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
>> supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
>> I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
>> helped a bit but not enough.
>> If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
>> the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
>> Thank You.
>> BOB

>
>FWIW, I use the Arctic Silencer 64 Ultra TCL, very quiet, seems to work well
>on my AMD 64/3000. Got it though NewEgg, IIRC, don't remember the
>price...just my two cents...
>


Thanks for the practical tip.
bob

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Bob Bob 03-08-2008 04:13 AM

Re: Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan
 
On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 06:02:48 GMT, catchme <someone@somewhere.net>
wrote:

>Bob Bob wrote:
>> Hi
>> A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
>> supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
>> I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
>> helped a bit but not enough.
>> If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
>> the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
>> Thank You.
>> BOB

>
>do some research for customer reviews on google, or talk to people "in
>the know" within your trade (because obviously you are not), and for
>gods sake man- think on your own feet!
>were i to offer advise- whether in person or via a forum such as this-
>for someone whom I know is being paid for their OWN (dubious) expertise,
>i would demand 50% commission on the spot.

Thanks for the help and advise...

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Phat Sam 03-08-2008 03:09 PM

Re: Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan
 
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:05:56 -0800 (PST), Bob Bob <brickrow@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
>supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
>I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
>helped a bit but not enough.
>If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
>the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
>Thank You.
>BOB

Personally, with the cost of CPU's these days, I'd rather have a 440HP
V8 Engine Blowing Cold Air onto my CPU than a whimpy Girly Fan that
doesn't produce much noise. I don't know why some people act like
their CPU FAN is just giving them a splitting headache. Hell, some
Hard Drives produce more noise than the CPU Fan! Either way, buy a
decent set of speakers and you won't hear the noise of the CPU Fan!
When I sold computers custom built for my customers, it wasn't an
option to have extra case fans. In fact, I generally tried to add as
many fans as the case would allow for. Especially because my
customers tended to be so stupid that they'd bury their computers in
an enclosed area, shut the door (completly limiting the air flow) and
running the computer 24/7. (in one case, the customer even had the
HEATER on to the point that I was sweating with only a t-shirt and
pants on! It must have been about 80 - 85 degrees in his house... The
cost of the fans are nothing compared to the cost of the CPU's, I'd
rather the computer sound like an Aircraft Hanger than be replacing a
new CPU every 2 weeks! Incidently, that's what you'll be doing if you
start skimping on CPU fans and case fans....

catchme 03-08-2008 07:01 PM

Re: Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan
 
Phat Sam wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:05:56 -0800 (PST), Bob Bob <brickrow@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
>> supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
>> I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
>> helped a bit but not enough.
>> If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
>> the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
>> Thank You.
>> BOB

> Personally, with the cost of CPU's these days, I'd rather have a 440HP
> V8 Engine Blowing Cold Air onto my CPU than a whimpy Girly Fan that
> doesn't produce much noise. I don't know why some people act like
> their CPU FAN is just giving them a splitting headache. Hell, some
> Hard Drives produce more noise than the CPU Fan! Either way, buy a
> decent set of speakers and you won't hear the noise of the CPU Fan!
> When I sold computers custom built for my customers, it wasn't an
> option to have extra case fans. In fact, I generally tried to add as
> many fans as the case would allow for. Especially because my
> customers tended to be so stupid that they'd bury their computers in
> an enclosed area, shut the door (completly limiting the air flow) and
> running the computer 24/7. (in one case, the customer even had the
> HEATER on to the point that I was sweating with only a t-shirt and
> pants on! It must have been about 80 - 85 degrees in his house... The
> cost of the fans are nothing compared to the cost of the CPU's, I'd
> rather the computer sound like an Aircraft Hanger than be replacing a
> new CPU every 2 weeks! Incidently, that's what you'll be doing if you
> start skimping on CPU fans and case fans....


in my 680 sf apartment, the merest noise on my hard drive is enough to
wake me up (like when my scheduled scans and assorted updates are active).
A hard drive that is always noisy would simply be intolerable (not just
from lack of sleep, but also from concern of performance issues that
chronic hard drive noise points at), never mind a noisy fan as well.
an "aircraft hangar" in a small apartment is extremely inappropriate to
my wife and myself- and potentially, my neighbours.

Bob Bob 03-08-2008 10:32 PM

Re: Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan
 
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:09:58 -0600, Phat Sam <phatsam@nym.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:05:56 -0800 (PST), Bob Bob <brickrow@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>A customer of mine is complaining that the coolermaster cpu fan I
>>supplied with the machine is outrageously noisy.
>>I replaced the out of the box fan with another coolermaster unit which
>>helped a bit but not enough.
>>If anyone has a product in the $20 range that is somewhat quieter than
>>the coolermaster I would appreciate any and all info.
>>Thank You.
>>BOB

>Personally, with the cost of CPU's these days, I'd rather have a 440HP
>V8 Engine Blowing Cold Air onto my CPU than a whimpy Girly Fan that
>doesn't produce much noise. I don't know why some people act like
>their CPU FAN is just giving them a splitting headache. Hell, some
>Hard Drives produce more noise than the CPU Fan! Either way, buy a
>decent set of speakers and you won't hear the noise of the CPU Fan!
>When I sold computers custom built for my customers, it wasn't an
>option to have extra case fans. In fact, I generally tried to add as
>many fans as the case would allow for. Especially because my
>customers tended to be so stupid that they'd bury their computers in
>an enclosed area, shut the door (completly limiting the air flow) and
>running the computer 24/7. (in one case, the customer even had the
>HEATER on to the point that I was sweating with only a t-shirt and
>pants on! It must have been about 80 - 85 degrees in his house... The
>cost of the fans are nothing compared to the cost of the CPU's, I'd
>rather the computer sound like an Aircraft Hanger than be replacing a
>new CPU every 2 weeks! Incidently, that's what you'll be doing if you
>start skimping on CPU fans and case fans....


Thanks for the note back and I agree. I am sure you also heard 'my
dell is whisper quiet' to which I can then point to the gray cased
units in the shop....

Actually I think that one spouse is driving the other up the wall and
uses just anything to add to the grief.

These AMDs do run hotter though which is why I use both front and rear
case fans. One of the by products is that the front unit can suck in
the cigarette smoke that is left over as the baby cannot possibly
handle it all and the rear one can take whatever does not stick to the
inside components and blow it out the back....

I do have some larger bladed CPU fans that spin slower and do the job
but was just looking of the experiences of others. These also mount on
taller and larger finned heat sinks.

The liquid cooler units seem to function well but carry some pretty
decent price tags...

Oh well.

You know that those desks with computer enclosures must have the non
vented door closed to 'look right'! Shame if they are open and almost
as bad as having the rear panel left nice and solid.

Don't matter what you tell them either as a lot of people have way
more dennaros than gray matter.....,or so it seems.

Thanks for moving the discussion.
Bob

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Phat Sam 03-09-2008 02:23 PM

Re: Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan
 
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:01:00 GMT, catchme <someone@somewhere.net>
wrote:

>in my 680 sf apartment, the merest noise on my hard drive is enough to
>wake me up (like when my scheduled scans and assorted updates are active).
>A hard drive that is always noisy would simply be intolerable (not just
>from lack of sleep, but also from concern of performance issues that
>chronic hard drive noise points at), never mind a noisy fan as well.
>an "aircraft hangar" in a small apartment is extremely inappropriate to
>my wife and myself- and potentially, my neighbours.

You can't get rid of your neighbors, but you can get rid of your wife.
Though if the sound of your CPU fan is keeping you awake, I have
reasons to believe you've got other problems like constantly loading
yourself up on energy drinks to the point that you are not sleepy. Had
you been sleepy to begin with, you'd be able to sleep with the sound
of the fan. But hey, if you really have that much of a problem, just
rip the fan off and leave the computer on 24/7, then buy you a new
computer every 3-4 hours.... Of course, you might also ask yourself
if you need to leave your computer on 24/7.... If your going to live
in such a crappy apartment building that the sound of your CPU fan
wakes the neighbors, then you may just have to live with a crappy fan
and turn your CPU off when your not using it.... You probably
shouldn't use your computer after 9pm either to ensure that the case
fan or CPU fan doesn't wake the neighbors... Not to mention, better
hold your breath as the sound of it could cause the neighbors to have
a heart attack....

Phat Sam 03-09-2008 02:27 PM

Re: Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan
 
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 17:32:35 -0500, Bob Bob <needhelp@payingbills.com>
wrote:

>You know that those desks with computer enclosures must have the non
>vented door closed to 'look right'! Shame if they are open and almost
>as bad as having the rear panel left nice and solid.
>
>Don't matter what you tell them either as a lot of people have way
>more dennaros than gray matter.....,or so it seems.

Yup, a friend's wife made the comment that she told him when they got
a new computer that it had to look "Good in the living room", or they
wasn't getting it... I told him he needed a new wife....


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.