Velocity Reviews

-   -   While loops (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t596521-while-loops.html)

KyoGaSuki 03-06-2008 02:00 PM

While loops

First of all, I can confidently say that me and loops (of ANY kind)
don't go well together. The program I am working on keeps giving me
errors (and when I fix them, there is yet ANOTHER error waiting for
me....maybe Java just isn't my forte). I was to make a program that
would data from a file and then output (into a new file): month count,
starting balance, interest (6% annual), amount deposited, and then
ending balance. It could be that it is 9 am and I am not thinking
straight, but here is my code (don't laugh at me T.T):

/**
* @(#)Try2.java
*
* Try2 application
*
* @author
* @version 1.00 2008/3/6
*/
import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;
public class Try2 {

public static void main(String[] args)throws FileNotFoundException
{
Scanner in = new Scanner (new FileReader("Annuities.txt"));
float n = in.nextFloat();
PrintWriter out = new PrintWriter("Try2.txt");
int count;
float sbal;
float interest = (sbal*.06)/12;
float deposit = 200.00;
float ebal = sbal + interest + deposit;
while(in.hasNext()){
count = 1;
System.out.println(count + " " + sbal + " " + interest + " " +
deposit + " " + ebal);
count++;
}
in.close();
out.close();
}
}

RESULTS:

--------------------Configuration: Try2 - JDK version 1.6.0_03
<Default> - <Default>--------------------
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Try2
Exception in thread "main"
Process completed.

I KNOW that the input file is there and in the right spot...is it not
finding it?

GArlington 03-06-2008 02:41 PM

Re: While loops

On Mar 6, 2:00 pm, KyoGaSuki <jrockgadaisukida...@yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
> First of all, I can confidently say that me and loops (of ANY kind)
> don't go well together. The program I am working on keeps giving me
> errors (and when I fix them, there is yet ANOTHER error waiting for
> me....maybe Java just isn't my forte). I was to make a program that
> would data from a file and then output (into a new file): month count,
> starting balance, interest (6% annual), amount deposited, and then
> ending balance. It could be that it is 9 am and I am not thinking
> straight, but here is my code (don't laugh at me T.T):
>
> /**
> * @(#)Try2.java
> *
> * Try2 application
> *
> * @author
> * @version 1.00 2008/3/6
> */
> import java.util.*;
> import java.io.*;
> public class Try2 {
>
> public static void main(String[] args)throws FileNotFoundException
> {
> Scanner in = new Scanner (new FileReader("Annuities.txt"));
> float n = in.nextFloat();
> PrintWriter out = new PrintWriter("Try2.txt");
> int count;
> float sbal;
> float interest = (sbal*.06)/12;
> float deposit = 200.00;
> float ebal = sbal + interest + deposit;
> while(in.hasNext()){
> count = 1;
> System.out.println(count + " " + sbal + " " + interest + " " +
> deposit + " " + ebal);
> count++;
> }
> in.close();
> out.close();
> }
>
> }
>
> RESULTS:
>
> --------------------Configuration: Try2 - JDK version 1.6.0_03
> <Default> - <Default>--------------------
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Try2
> Exception in thread "main"
> Process completed.
>
> I KNOW that the input file is there and in the right spot...is it not
> finding it?

1) http://mindprod.com/jgloss/runerrorm...SDEFFOUNDERROR
2) You are NOT reading next value inside your loop, so you are either
going to have a LOT of System.out.println() with the same value (until
you kill the process), or you will have none (if the file is empty)...
You will need to do something like in.next(); and add some processing
inside the loop...

KyoGaSuki 03-06-2008 05:47 PM

Re: While loops

On Mar 6, 9:41 am, GArlington <garling...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2:00 pm, KyoGaSuki <jrockgadaisukida...@yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
>

> > First of all, I can confidently say that me and loops (of ANY kind)
> > don't go well together. The program I am working on keeps giving me
> > errors (and when I fix them, there is yet ANOTHER error waiting for
> > me....maybe Java just isn't my forte). I was to make a program that
> > would data from a file and then output (into a new file): month count,
> > starting balance, interest (6% annual), amount deposited, and then
> > ending balance. It could be that it is 9 am and I am not thinking
> > straight, but here is my code (don't laugh at me T.T):

> > /**
> > * @(#)Try2.java
> > *
> > * Try2 application
> > *
> > * @author
> > * @version 1.00 2008/3/6
> > */
> > import java.util.*;
> > import java.io.*;
> > public class Try2 {

> > public static void main(String[] args)throws FileNotFoundException
> > {
> > Scanner in = new Scanner (new FileReader("Annuities.txt"));
> > float n = in.nextFloat();
> > PrintWriter out = new PrintWriter("Try2.txt");
> > int count;
> > float sbal;
> > float interest = (sbal*.06)/12;
> > float deposit = 200.00;
> > float ebal = sbal + interest + deposit;
> > while(in.hasNext()){
> > count = 1;
> > System.out.println(count + " " + sbal + " " + interest + " " +
> > deposit + " " + ebal);
> > count++;
> > }
> > in.close();
> > out.close();
> > }

> > }

> > RESULTS:

> > --------------------Configuration: Try2 - JDK version 1.6.0_03
> > <Default> - <Default>--------------------
> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Try2
> > Exception in thread "main"
> > Process completed.

> > I KNOW that the input file is there and in the right spot...is it not
> > finding it?

> 1)http://mindprod.com/jgloss/runerrorm...SDEFFOUNDERROR
> 2) You are NOT reading next value inside your loop, so you are either
> going to have a LOT of System.out.println() with the same value (until
> you kill the process), or you will have none (if the file is empty)...
> You will need to do something like in.next(); and add some processing
> inside the loop...

Thank you. I am finally getting correct results, but I want to ask,
is there a way to round to 2 decimal places using the math.round(x)?

Roedy Green 03-07-2008 01:55 AM

Re: While loops

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:00:28 -0800 (PST), KyoGaSuki
<jrockgadaisukidayou@yahoo.co.jp> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

>while(in.hasNext()){
> count = 1;
> System.out.println(count + " " + sbal + " " + interest + " " +
>deposit + " " + ebal);
> count++;
> }

In a loop with a hasNext() at the top, you need some sort of getNext
in the loop body.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jcheat.html
for the pattern.

--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Roedy Green 03-07-2008 02:18 AM

Re: While loops

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 09:47:02 -0800 (PST), KyoGaSuki

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/round.html