Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT: Failed saving throw (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t596278-ot-failed-saving-throw.html)

Aahz 03-05-2008 03:36 PM

OT: Failed saving throw

For anyone who hasn't heard, E. Gary Gygax died yesterday. Some people
think we should build a tomb in his honor. ;-)
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

indirection." --Butler Lampson

Dan Upton 03-05-2008 03:42 PM

Re: OT: Failed saving throw

On 5 Mar 2008 07:36:37 -0800, Aahz <aahz@pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> For anyone who hasn't heard, E. Gary Gygax died yesterday. Some people
> think we should build a tomb in his honor. ;-)

Yeah, I just saw a tribute on Order of the Stick:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html

Dennis Lee Bieber 03-06-2008 05:06 AM

Re: OT: Failed saving throw

On 5 Mar 2008 07:36:37 -0800, aahz@pythoncraft.com (Aahz) declaimed the
following in comp.lang.python:

> For anyone who hasn't heard, E. Gary Gygax died yesterday. Some people
> think we should build a tomb in his honor. ;-)

Just a tomb? Commission Disney to build a whole dungeon with the
tomb somewhere inside... Of course, they'd want to charge admission <G>
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com wulfraed@bestiaria.com

Aahz 03-06-2008 09:25 PM

Re: OT: Failed saving throw

In article <13suutrmlm5208a@corp.supernews.com>,
Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>On 5 Mar 2008 07:36:37 -0800, aahz@pythoncraft.com (Aahz) declaimed the
>following in comp.lang.python:
>>
>> For anyone who hasn't heard, E. Gary Gygax died yesterday. Some people
>> think we should build a tomb in his honor. ;-)

> Just a tomb? Commission Disney to build a whole dungeon with the
>tomb somewhere inside... Of course, they'd want to charge admission <G>

You're apparently missing the reference to Tomb of Horrors. ;-)

Dennis Lee Bieber 03-07-2008 04:55 AM

Re: OT: Failed saving throw

On 6 Mar 2008 13:25:44 -0800, aahz@pythoncraft.com (Aahz) declaimed the
following in comp.lang.python:

> You're apparently missing the reference to Tomb of Horrors. ;-)

Probably... I never played "original" D&D... my first RPG was
RuneQuest (something I still consider much more "realistic" -- some of
the fumble tables were based off of things that happened in SCA combat;
it also didn't have this strange concept that putting on heavy armor
made one harder to hit -- heavy armor in RQ reduced the damage one took
when they were hit...) My second RPG was the "Advanced D&D" which I
understand had a fairly significant difference in operation/culture...
My gamemaster seldom used prepackaged settings.

Aahz 03-07-2008 04:39 PM

Re: OT: Failed saving throw

In article <fqmem5$is2$1@panix3.panix.com>, Aahz <aahz@pythoncraft.com> wrote:

>For anyone who hasn't heard, E. Gary Gygax died yesterday. Some people
>think we should build a tomb in his honor. ;-)

....and xkcd finally weighs in:

http://xkcd.com/393/