Velocity Reviews

-   -   FYI- Seagate return policy (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t595968-fyi-seagate-return-policy.html)

- Bobb - 03-04-2008 01:24 PM

FYI- Seagate return policy

I saw this FAQ at Seagate.com and thought it might be helpful to anyone
returning a drive for warranty issues, especially if you expect to have
your data on there when/if you get it back. I assume most companies do the
same.

Q: "I have sensitive data on a drive that is being replaced. Should I be
worried about sending it to Seagate?"
A: ... When a drive arrives at our returns depot facility, it will first
be tested. During the first phase of testing it is low-level formatted
which completely wipes it of any and all data from sector 0 to the last
sector. ...
So even if the drive is "GOOD", your data is gone when/if you get it back.

olfart 03-04-2008 02:46 PM

Re: FYI- Seagate return policy

news:76qdnRHfIZPz0FDanZ2dnUVZ_tyknZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>I saw this FAQ at Seagate.com and thought it might be helpful to anyone
>returning a drive for warranty issues, especially if you expect to have
>your data on there when/if you get it back. I assume most companies do the
>same.
>
> Q: "I have sensitive data on a drive that is being replaced. Should I be
> worried about sending it to Seagate?"
> A: ... When a drive arrives at our returns depot facility, it will first
> be tested. During the first phase of testing it is low-level formatted
> which completely wipes it of any and all data from sector 0 to the last
> sector. ...
> So even if the drive is "GOOD", your data is gone when/if you get it back.

Seems to me they could put the data in a ZipLoc baggie and return it with
the drive

Robert Baer 03-05-2008 12:33 AM

olfart wrote:
> news:76qdnRHfIZPz0FDanZ2dnUVZ_tyknZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>
>>I saw this FAQ at Seagate.com and thought it might be helpful to anyone
>>returning a drive for warranty issues, especially if you expect to have
>>your data on there when/if you get it back. I assume most companies do the
>>same.
>>
>>Q: "I have sensitive data on a drive that is being replaced. Should I be
>>worried about sending it to Seagate?"
>>A: ... When a drive arrives at our returns depot facility, it will first
>>be tested. During the first phase of testing it is low-level formatted
>>which completely wipes it of any and all data from sector 0 to the last
>>sector. ...
>>So even if the drive is "GOOD", your data is gone when/if you get it back.
>>

> Seems to me they could put the data in a ZipLoc baggie and return it with
> the drive

A ZipLoc(TN) baggie is too porous; all of the bite would leak out...