Velocity Reviews

-   -   Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t595635-linksys-wireless-adapter-not-connecting-to-inksys-wireless-router.html)

pawanjalan@gmail.com 03-03-2008 04:51 AM

Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

Hi

I have a Linksys WPC11 wireless adapter on my Win2K laptop, and am
able to connect fine to unsecure neighborhood networks.

I just installed a Linksys WRTG54 wireless router on my home cable
connection and enabled WEP. I have another Vista laptop and built-in
wireless, and am able to connect to this home network fine.

However, when I try connecting to the above network using my WPC11, it
pops up the box to enter the passphrase, but then does not connect.

Am I missing some setting or do I need to install some driver?

Thanks
Pawan

smlunatick 03-03-2008 02:44 PM

Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

On Mar 2, 11:51*pm, pawanja...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Linksys WPC11 wireless adapter on my Win2K laptop, and am
> able to connect fine to unsecure neighborhood networks.
>
> I just installed a Linksys WRTG54 wireless router on my home cable
> connection and enabled WEP. I have another Vista laptop and built-in
> wireless, and am able to connect to this home network fine.
>
> However, when I try connecting to the above network using my WPC11, it
> pops up the box to enter the passphrase, but then does not connect.
>
> Am I missing some setting or do I need to install some driver?
>
> Thanks
> Pawan

Passphrase is usually for WPA. WEP uses a hex key (entered as hex or
ascii.) Reconfigure the router and the Vista PC so as to use the WPA
(WPA2) wireless security, which is a way better security than the
"cracked" WEP method.

Jim 03-03-2008 03:22 PM

<pawanjalan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a Linksys WPC11 wireless adapter on my Win2K laptop, and am
> able to connect fine to unsecure neighborhood networks.
>
> I just installed a Linksys WRTG54 wireless router on my home cable
> connection and enabled WEP. I have another Vista laptop and built-in
> wireless, and am able to connect to this home network fine.
>
> However, when I try connecting to the above network using my WPC11, it
> pops up the box to enter the passphrase, but then does not connect.
>
> Am I missing some setting or do I need to install some driver?
>
> Thanks
> Pawan

As the other posted, don't use WEP. It is too easy to break.

Entering the key or passphrase (or whatever they call it) usually takes
several tries.
The software is extremely intolerant of the slightest error.

Jim

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 03-03-2008 04:44 PM

Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

Hi
May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Barb Bowman 03-03-2008 05:38 PM

Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

the WPC11 as I recall is an old 802.11b only card. And I believe you
need a $$ add-on for WPA (there was a free one, but they sold out to
McAfee who wants $4.95 per month..)

yo are seriously at risk using WEP. it is like locking your door and
leaving the key in the lock.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

pawanjalan@gmail.com 03-04-2008 03:18 AM

Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

Thanks to everyone for your advice, I've gone back to WPA!

Which still does not solve my problem of connecting WPC11 to the
network.
But it looks like I will need to change the WPC11 adapter as the card
may not be supported by my WRTG54 router.

Thanks
Pawan

Barb Bowman 03-04-2008 10:08 AM

Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

it is probably supported if you set the router to b/g mixed mode and
lower your security to an unsafe mode. if you change the card out
for a faster newer card, you still have the issue of needing WPA for
security. You need a third party utility ($$) as W2K doesn't
natively support WPA.

pawanjalan@gmail.com 03-05-2008 03:30 AM

Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

ok i get you now
didn't realise win2k is the culprit!

will chek out what add-ons are available and upgrade if required!

thanks
pawan