Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can not position background image (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t595627-can-not-position-background-image.html)

Leupi 03-03-2008 04:21 AM

Can not position background image

I am trying to position a background image in a div:

#wrapper2 {
margin-top: 0;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
min-width: 710px;
max-width: 1000px;
min-height: 400px;
border: 1px solid gray;
/*
background-color:white;
*/
background-image: url(images/eae3ce_tile.gif);
background-position: 40px 220px;
background-repeat: repeat-y;
}

according to the above code (I would assume) that the image would start
40px from the left and 220px from the top. This is not the case; it is
starting 40px from the left; however, it is starting at the very top and
not 220px below that.

The image is a 240px wide by 1px tall image tiled in the y axis. Any
thoughts as to what I am overlooking? BTW, I have commented out a few of
the other background images for clarity so the site is not quite as bad
as it seems at the moment (although it is far from finished...)

http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/

Thanks,
Todd

rf 03-03-2008 04:29 AM

Re: Can not position background image

"Leupi" <spinsheet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to position a background image in a div:
>
> #wrapper2 {
> margin-top: 0;
> margin-left: auto;
> margin-right: auto;
> min-width: 710px;
> max-width: 1000px;
> min-height: 400px;
> border: 1px solid gray;
> /*
> background-color:white;
> */
> background-image: url(images/eae3ce_tile.gif);
> background-position: 40px 220px;
> background-repeat: repeat-y;
> }
>
> according to the above code (I would assume) that the image would start
> 40px from the left and 220px from the top. This is not the case; it is
> starting 40px from the left; however, it is starting at the very top and
> not 220px below that.

It *has* started 220 pixels down from the top. Your trouble is that you have
told it to repeat in the y direction and that is what it has done, repeated
down *and* up to fill up the entire height of your div. This is what
repeat-y does.

--
Richard.

Leupi 03-03-2008 05:04 AM

rf wrote:
> "Leupi" <spinsheet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I am trying to position a background image in a div:
>>
>> #wrapper2 {
>> margin-top: 0;
>> margin-left: auto;
>> margin-right: auto;
>> min-width: 710px;
>> max-width: 1000px;
>> min-height: 400px;
>> border: 1px solid gray;
>> /*
>> background-color:white;
>> */
>> background-image: url(images/eae3ce_tile.gif);
>> background-position: 40px 220px;
>> background-repeat: repeat-y;
>> }
>>
>> according to the above code (I would assume) that the image would start
>> 40px from the left and 220px from the top. This is not the case; it is
>> starting 40px from the left; however, it is starting at the very top and
>> not 220px below that.

> It *has* started 220 pixels down from the top. Your trouble is that you have
> told it to repeat in the y direction and that is what it has done, repeated
> down *and* up to fill up the entire height of your div. This is what
> repeat-y does.

Well, that certainly makes sense. Looks like I need to take a different
tack to accomplish this. Now that you mention it, that should have been
obvious.

Thanks!