Velocity Reviews

-   -   Newsserver login username and password in Thunderbird 2 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t595156-newsserver-login-username-and-password-in-thunderbird-2-a.html)

Ola V 02-29-2008 05:34 PM

Newsserver login username and password in Thunderbird 2

I have thought of using Thinderbird instead of Outlook Express for some
time,
and downloaded and installed latest version today. It seems to work okay,
but I can't find any way install the two newsservers I usually use. In OE
it's
easy to install them both with usernames and passwords, and then OE will
download the list og newsgroups available. But in Thunderbird it won't work,
and searching thru the Mozilla support database I can only find articles
from
2000 and 2001 about this subject...which don't help at all. When I am trying
to install the newsservers, there are nowhere to put the username and
password,
even if I put in the info about the newsserver and then restarts my computer
and
Thunderbird. Can anyone tell me how this is done, or point me to the right
direction, please?

Best regards
Ola.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 02-29-2008 05:47 PM

Re: Newsserver login username and password in Thunderbird 2

Ola V wrote:
> I have thought of using Thinderbird instead of Outlook Express for some
> time,
> and downloaded and installed latest version today. It seems to work okay,
> but I can't find any way install the two newsservers I usually use. In OE
> it's
> easy to install them both with usernames and passwords, and then OE will
> download the list og newsgroups available. But in Thunderbird it won't work,
> and searching thru the Mozilla support database I can only find articles
> from
> 2000 and 2001 about this subject...which don't help at all. When I am trying
> to install the newsservers, there are nowhere to put the username and
> password,
> even if I put in the info about the newsserver and then restarts my computer
> and
> Thunderbird. Can anyone tell me how this is done, or point me to the right
> direction, please?
>
> Best regards
> Ola.

Tools, Account Settings, select the account you want, and
under Server Settings, look on the right for something
called Authentication. Check it. Now, when you click on
the newsgroup, you should get a popup asking for your user
name, then another one for your password. Did this work?

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Ola V 02-29-2008 06:41 PM

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Ola V wrote:
>> Thunderbird. Can anyone tell me how this is done, or point me to the
>> right direction, please?

> Tools, Account Settings, select the account you want, and
> under Server Settings, look on the right for something
> called Authentication. Check it. Now, when you click on
> the newsgroup, you should get a popup asking for your user
> name, then another one for your password. Did this work?

Thank you for your fast reply.

Nothing happens when I click on the newsservername, but I get
some choices when I right-click it, and there's the pop-ups.
I now tried to install the other newsserver I use, but then I get
problems with the username and passwords, it seems like
Thunderbird can't handle two servers. I find the way they have
made this as very backwards and not userfriendly at all.
I can't find out how to install Norton AntiSpam into Thunderbird
either, so I have uninstalled Thunderbird, and think I continue with
OE v.6. I am in fact somewhat dissapointed over Thunderbird,
I hoped it would be mush easier to use then it is. I think I will
look into Opera instead, as I have seen a lot of praises over it.

Best regards
Ola.

Leonidas Jones 03-01-2008 12:11 AM

Ola V wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Ola V wrote:
>>> Thunderbird. Can anyone tell me how this is done, or point me to the
>>> right direction, please?

>> Tools, Account Settings, select the account you want, and
>> under Server Settings, look on the right for something
>> called Authentication. Check it. Now, when you click on
>> the newsgroup, you should get a popup asking for your user
>> name, then another one for your password. Did this work?

> Thank you for your fast reply.
>
> Nothing happens when I click on the newsservername, but I get
> some choices when I right-click it, and there's the pop-ups.
> I now tried to install the other newsserver I use, but then I get
> problems with the username and passwords, it seems like
> Thunderbird can't handle two servers. I find the way they have
> made this as very backwards and not userfriendly at all.
> I can't find out how to install Norton AntiSpam into Thunderbird
> either, so I have uninstalled Thunderbird, and think I continue with
> OE v.6. I am in fact somewhat dissapointed over Thunderbird,
> I hoped it would be mush easier to use then it is. I think I will
> look into Opera instead, as I have seen a lot of praises over it.
>
> Best regards
> Ola.

I have 9 different news accounts set up in TB, there is no probolem with
multiple servers. There is a problem with trying to set up two accounts
for the same news server. IS that what you are trying to do.

TB is quite a bit more OE user friendly then Opera is, so there is quite
a bit more of a learning curve oin a migration to Opera. Since you seem
to be rather impatient with learning a new program, that might pose a
problem.

Lee

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 03-01-2008 12:26 AM

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Ola V wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>> Tools, Account Settings, select the account you want, and
>>> under Server Settings, look on the right for something
>>> called Authentication. Check it. Now, when you click on
>>> the newsgroup, you should get a popup asking for your user
>>> name, then another one for your password. Did this work?

>> Thank you for your fast reply.
>>
>> Nothing happens when I click on the newsservername, but I get
>> some choices when I right-click it, and there's the pop-ups.
>> I now tried to install the other newsserver I use, but then I get
>> problems with the username and passwords, it seems like
>> Thunderbird can't handle two servers. I find the way they have
>> made this as very backwards and not userfriendly at all.
>> I can't find out how to install Norton AntiSpam into Thunderbird
>> either, so I have uninstalled Thunderbird, and think I continue with
>> OE v.6. I am in fact somewhat dissapointed over Thunderbird,
>> I hoped it would be mush easier to use then it is. I think I will
>> look into Opera instead, as I have seen a lot of praises over it.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Ola.
>>

> I have 9 different news accounts set up in TB, there is no probolem with
> multiple servers. There is a problem with trying to set up two accounts
> for the same news server. IS that what you are trying to do.
>
> TB is quite a bit more OE user friendly then Opera is, so there is quite
> a bit more of a learning curve oin a migration to Opera. Since you seem
> to be rather impatient with learning a new program, that might pose a
> problem.
>
> Lee

further to what Lee said, get rid of Norton. That program
has been known to cause all sorts of problems. IMO its not
worth the headaches.

As for Opera, if you don't know how to access the mail/news
part, then that will cause a headache too. Its very well hidden.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm