Velocity Reviews

-   -   discover an IP address (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t595111-discover-an-ip-address.html)

markdavidson 02-29-2008 01:42 PM

discover an IP address

I have a wireless access point that i may have turned into a paper
weight. it shows network activity, but i cant find the IP address of
it. how can i find the IP address? I know the mac address. but the IP
could be anything.

smlunatick 02-29-2008 02:22 PM

Re: discover an IP address

On Feb 29, 8:42*am, markdavidson <mdavid...@nfwp.ws> wrote:
> I have a wireless access point that i may have turned into a paper
> weight. it shows network activity, but i cant find the IP address of
> it. how can i find the IP address? I know the mac address. but the IP
> could be anything.

Several routers / access point also have a "reset" method which will
return the unit back to the factory default settings. Then, following
the unit's user guide, you can redo the settings.

markdavidson 02-29-2008 05:24 PM

Re: discover an IP address

On Feb 29, 8:22*am, smlunatick <yves...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 29, 8:42*am, markdavidson <mdavid...@nfwp.ws> wrote:
>
> > I have a wireless access point that i may have turned into a paper
> > weight. it shows network activity, but i cant find the IP address of
> > it. how can i find the IP address? I know the mac address. but the IP
> > could be anything.

> Several routers / access point also have a "reset" method which will
> return the unit back to the factory default settings. *Then, following
> the unit's user guide, you can redo the settings.

this thing is a paper weight...i.e. corrupted firmware i believe
i actually foud the ip, but now netgear doesnt have a firmware
download for this thing (wg602v4)

smlunatick 02-29-2008 09:18 PM

Re: discover an IP address

On Feb 29, 12:24*pm, markdavidson <mdavid...@nfwp.ws> wrote:
> On Feb 29, 8:22*am, smlunatick <yves...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 29, 8:42*am, markdavidson <mdavid...@nfwp.ws> wrote:

> > > I have a wireless access point that i may have turned into a paper
> > > weight. it shows network activity, but i cant find the IP address of
> > > it. how can i find the IP address? I know the mac address. but the IP
> > > could be anything.

> > Several routers / access point also have a "reset" method which will
> > return the unit back to the factory default settings. *Then, following
> > the unit's user guide, you can redo the settings.

> this thing is a paper weight...i.e. corrupted firmware i believe
> i actually foud the ip, but now netgear doesnt have a firmware
> download for this thing (wg602v4)

I would try to do the unit reset before junking it. Firmware do not
corrupt itself (especially since you state that there is not a
firmware update.)

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 03-01-2008 01:18 AM

Re: discover an IP address

Hi
It is Not clear what are your expectations. I.e what do you think would
happen if you just keep complaining about "paper weight".
You want to try to revive the thing do as suggested above.
Otherwise (today) this is only $7.99 after rebate and free ship,
Jack (MVP-Networking).