Velocity Reviews

-   -   Office XP and Office 2007 on the same machine (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t594597-office-xp-and-office-2007-on-the-same-machine.html)

Jeff Strickland 02-27-2008 03:52 PM

Office XP and Office 2007 on the same machine

I have a neighbor that wants me to tutor her on Excel 2007 -- she really
wants me to do her class, but I think I can get a few of her classmates to
pay for instruction and assistance -- but I have Office XP loaded on all of
my machines, and prefer it to the new version.

Can I install Office 2007 to a separate folder and have two versions of
Office on the same machine? Alternatively, can I install Office to an
external drive and run it from there?

I want to install the new version of MS Office so that I can review the
course work before I am faced with instructing it, but I do not want to
replace the Office that I already have.

sandy58 02-27-2008 04:16 PM

Re: Office XP and Office 2007 on the same machine

On Feb 27, 3:52 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <cr...@verizon.net> wrote:
> I have a neighbor that wants me to tutor her on Excel 2007 -- she really
> wants me to do her class, but I think I can get a few of her classmates to
> pay for instruction and assistance -- but I have Office XP loaded on all of
> my machines, and prefer it to the new version.
>
> Can I install Office 2007 to a separate folder and have two versions of
> Office on the same machine? Alternatively, can I install Office to an
> external drive and run it from there?
>
> I want to install the new version of MS Office so that I can review the
> course work before I am faced with instructing it, but I do not want to
> replace the Office that I already have.

If I remember correctly it's not possible to install both on the same
OS.

Jeff Strickland 02-27-2008 04:28 PM

"sandy58" <aleckie60@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> On Feb 27, 3:52 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <cr...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> I have a neighbor that wants me to tutor her on Excel 2007 -- she really
>> wants me to do her class, but I think I can get a few of her classmates
>> pay for instruction and assistance -- but I have Office XP loaded on all
>> of
>> my machines, and prefer it to the new version.
>>
>> Can I install Office 2007 to a separate folder and have two versions of
>> Office on the same machine? Alternatively, can I install Office to an
>> external drive and run it from there?
>>
>> I want to install the new version of MS Office so that I can review the
>> course work before I am faced with instructing it, but I do not want to
>> replace the Office that I already have.

> If I remember correctly it's not possible to install both on the same
> OS.

That's what I was thinking. Two versions of Office on the same machine would
present Registry issues. I was hoping that perhaps installing one version on
an external drive might do the trick, but the Install requires files to be
loaded into the WINDOWS system folder, and this is where the conflict takes
place.

Kevin 02-28-2008 05:22 AM

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlr@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "sandy58" <aleckie60@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>> On Feb 27, 3:52 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <cr...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> I have a neighbor that wants me to tutor her on Excel 2007 -- she really
>>> wants me to do her class, but I think I can get a few of her classmates
>>> pay for instruction and assistance -- but I have Office XP loaded on all
>>> of
>>> my machines, and prefer it to the new version.
>>>
>>> Can I install Office 2007 to a separate folder and have two versions of
>>> Office on the same machine? Alternatively, can I install Office to an
>>> external drive and run it from there?
>>>
>>> I want to install the new version of MS Office so that I can review the
>>> course work before I am faced with instructing it, but I do not want to
>>> replace the Office that I already have.

>> If I remember correctly it's not possible to install both on the same
>> OS.

> That's what I was thinking. Two versions of Office on the same machine
> would present Registry issues. I was hoping that perhaps installing one
> version on an external drive might do the trick, but the Install requires
> files to be loaded into the WINDOWS system folder, and this is where the
> conflict takes place.

What about simply getting a laptop and installing it on that? Dell is
currently having some really attractive prices on their Vostro line of
laptops. And, for more savings, take a look at the Dell Outlet. You can
get a fairly nice laptop for under $500, both new and used. You could even
get a desktop for much less.

sandy58 02-28-2008 10:31 AM

Re: Office XP and Office 2007 on the same machine

On Feb 27, 3:52 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <cr...@verizon.net> wrote:
> I have a neighbor that wants me to tutor her on Excel 2007 -- she really
> wants me to do her class, but I think I can get a few of her classmates to
> pay for instruction and assistance -- but I have Office XP loaded on all of
> my machines, and prefer it to the new version.
>
> Can I install Office 2007 to a separate folder and have two versions of
> Office on the same machine? Alternatively, can I install Office to an
> external drive and run it from there?
>
> I want to install the new version of MS Office so that I can review the
> course work before I am faced with instructing it, but I do not want to
> replace the Office that I already have.

Dual OS is about the best bet. One more HDD?

Jeff Strickland 02-28-2008 04:13 PM

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:47c6398b$0$25987$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlr@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "sandy58" <aleckie60@googlemail.com> wrote in message

>>> If I remember correctly it's not possible to install both on the same
>>> OS.

>> That's what I was thinking. Two versions of Office on the same machine
>> would present Registry issues. I was hoping that perhaps installing one
>> version on an external drive might do the trick, but the Install requires
>> files to be loaded into the WINDOWS system folder, and this is where the
>> conflict takes place.

> What about simply getting a laptop and installing it on that? Dell is
> currently having some really attractive prices on their Vostro line of
> laptops. And, for more savings, take a look at the Dell Outlet. You can
> get a fairly nice laptop for under $500, both new and used. You could
> even get a desktop for much less.

We already have 5 'puters in the house, and only 4 users. I haven't enough
desk-space for another.

I can install Office '07 onto one of the machines I already have, but I
don't really want Office '07 at all. I prefer to install it on some sort of
"disposable" resource so it does not disrupt the other apps I already have.
I can install, then uninstall later, but that's a PIA. It has to be done
that way though ...

Jeff Strickland 02-28-2008 04:15 PM

> On Feb 27, 3:52 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <cr...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> I have a neighbor that wants me to tutor her on Excel 2007 -- she really
>> wants me to do her class, but I think I can get a few of her classmates
>> pay for instruction and assistance -- but I have Office XP loaded on all
>> of
>> my machines, and prefer it to the new version.
>>
>> Can I install Office 2007 to a separate folder and have two versions of
>> Office on the same machine? Alternatively, can I install Office to an
>> external drive and run it from there?
>>
>> I want to install the new version of MS Office so that I can review the
>> course work before I am faced with instructing it, but I do not want to
>> replace the Office that I already have.

> Dual OS is about the best bet. One more HDD?

Dual OS? That requires the purchase of another OS though.

Thanks, I'll just have to put Office '07 onto a laptop that is running
Office XP now, then reinstall XP when the project is complete, or have my
kid learn to like '07.

sandy58 02-28-2008 08:59 PM

On Feb 28, 4:15 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <cr...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "sandy58" <alecki...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> > On Feb 27, 3:52 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <cr...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >> I have a neighbor that wants me to tutor her on Excel 2007 -- she really
> >> wants me to do her class, but I think I can get a few of her classmates
> >> pay for instruction and assistance -- but I have Office XP loaded on all
> >> of
> >> my machines, and prefer it to the new version.

> >> Can I install Office 2007 to a separate folder and have two versions of
> >> Office on the same machine? Alternatively, can I install Office to an
> >> external drive and run it from there?

> >> I want to install the new version of MS Office so that I can review the
> >> course work before I am faced with instructing it, but I do not want to
> >> replace the Office that I already have.

> > Dual OS is about the best bet. One more HDD?

> Dual OS? That requires the purchase of another OS though.
>
> Thanks, I'll just have to put Office '07 onto a laptop that is running
> Office XP now, then reinstall XP when the project is complete, or have my
> kid learn to like '07.

You can have the same OS on both...with a version of Office on each.

sandy58 02-28-2008 09:01 PM

On Feb 28, 8:59 pm, sandy58 <alecki...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 4:15 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <cr...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> > "sandy58" <alecki...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> > > Dual OS is about the best bet. One more HDD?

> > Dual OS? That requires the purchase of another OS though.

> > Thanks, I'll just have to put Office '07 onto a laptop that is running
> > Office XP now, then reinstall XP when the project is complete, or have my
> > kid learn to like '07.

> You can have the same OS on both...with a version of Office on each.

PS. It's a bit of a hassle just to keep one Office for you & have the
other to teach someone else. Pure dedication, Jeff. Instant OBE for
that. :-)

Buck 02-29-2008 10:02 AM

Re: Office XP and Office 2007 on the same machine

What are you? A salesman??