Velocity Reviews

-   -   problem with amazon.com website (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t594204-problem-with-amazon-com-website.html)

RS 02-26-2008 04:19 AM

problem with amazon.com website

Hi all,

Amazon.com has a feature called "search inside" where you can peek
inside most (but not all) books, look at the table of contents, see an
excerpt, etc. Although I had no problem with this in the past, I no
longer can search inside books on amazon site with firefox. The ability
too peek inside a book seems to be gone in firefox. For the specific
books I have in mind, I can still do that with Safari and IE. The
firefox on my machine has been updated to version 2.0.0.12. I don't
have a amazon plugin, but I never needed one, and I don't know if it is
required to get all the features rendered correctly. I am wondering if
anyone else is having similar problems. I am running noscript, but
disabling that won't fix the problem.

Thanks
RS

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 02-26-2008 05:45 AM

Re: problem with amazon.com website

RS wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Amazon.com has a feature called "search inside" where you can peek
> inside most (but not all) books, look at the table of contents, see an
> excerpt, etc. Although I had no problem with this in the past, I no
> longer can search inside books on amazon site with firefox. The ability
> too peek inside a book seems to be gone in firefox. For the specific
> books I have in mind, I can still do that with Safari and IE. The
> firefox on my machine has been updated to version 2.0.0.12. I don't
> have a amazon plugin, but I never needed one, and I don't know if it is
> required to get all the features rendered correctly. I am wondering if
> anyone else is having similar problems. I am running noscript, but
> disabling that won't fix the problem.
>
> Thanks
> RS

can you provide some links so we can test out whats going
on? And tell us what we're supposed to look for. Thanks

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Lukan 02-26-2008 05:59 AM

Re: problem with amazon.com website

> Amazon.com has a feature called "search inside" where you can peek
> inside most (but not all) books, look at the table of contents, see an
> excerpt, etc. Although I had no problem with this in the past, I no
> longer can search inside books on amazon site with firefox. The ability
> too peek inside a book seems to be gone in firefox. For the specific
> books I have in mind, I can still do that with Safari and IE. The
> firefox on my machine has been updated to version 2.0.0.12. I don't
> have a amazon plugin, but I never needed one, and I don't know if it is
> required to get all the features rendered correctly. I am wondering if
> anyone else is having similar problems. I am running noscript, but
> disabling that won't fix the problem.

I'm running FF 2.0.0.12 and Vista and the "Search Inside" feature works
perfectly. Sorry I can't help you with your problem, but it does
appear to work with FF.

RS 02-26-2008 01:43 PM

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> RS wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Amazon.com has a feature called "search inside" where you can peek
>> inside most (but not all) books, look at the table of contents, see an
>> excerpt, etc. Although I had no problem with this in the past, I no
>> longer can search inside books on amazon site with firefox. The
>> ability too peek inside a book seems to be gone in firefox. For the
>> specific books I have in mind, I can still do that with Safari and IE.
>> The
>> firefox on my machine has been updated to version 2.0.0.12. I don't
>> have a amazon plugin, but I never needed one, and I don't know if it
>> is required to get all the features rendered correctly. I am wondering
>> if anyone else is having similar problems. I am running noscript, but
>> disabling that won't fix the problem.
>>
>> Thanks
>> RS

> can you provide some links so we can test out whats going on? And tell
> us what we're supposed to look for. Thanks

Thanks for your respond. As a simple example, I can search with Safari
(OS X) and with IE (Win XP), inside the following book

http://www.amazon.com/Parameter-Esti...4032666&sr=8-1

Basically there is an area next to the book image where where you put
the mouse and the site shows a text saying you can search inside the
book. I have firefox on both machines and neither one can do search
inside the book. That is, firefox no longer sees the area. The thing is
that I had no problem with firefox a couple of weeks ago before. Also,
on the OS X machine I have noscript (which I disabled and didn't make a
difference). On the windows machine I have no plugins. I thought perhaps
has inadvertently changed something on their site, but if you guys don't
see the problem, that is even more confusing to me.

Thanks again,
RS

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 02-26-2008 03:10 PM

RS wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> RS wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Amazon.com has a feature called "search inside" where you can peek
>>> inside most (but not all) books, look at the table of contents, see an
>>> excerpt, etc. Although I had no problem with this in the past, I no
>>> longer can search inside books on amazon site with firefox. The
>>> ability too peek inside a book seems to be gone in firefox. For the
>>> specific books I have in mind, I can still do that with Safari and IE.
>>> The
>>> firefox on my machine has been updated to version 2.0.0.12. I don't
>>> have a amazon plugin, but I never needed one, and I don't know if it
>>> is required to get all the features rendered correctly. I am wondering
>>> if anyone else is having similar problems. I am running noscript, but
>>> disabling that won't fix the problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> RS

>> can you provide some links so we can test out whats going on? And tell
>> us what we're supposed to look for. Thanks
>>

> Thanks for your respond. As a simple example, I can search with Safari
> (OS X) and with IE (Win XP), inside the following book
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Parameter-Esti...4032666&sr=8-1
>
> Basically there is an area next to the book image where where you put
> the mouse and the site shows a text saying you can search inside the
> book. I have firefox on both machines and neither one can do search
> inside the book. That is, firefox no longer sees the area. The thing is
> that I had no problem with firefox a couple of weeks ago before. Also,
> on the OS X machine I have noscript (which I disabled and didn't make a
> difference). On the windows machine I have no plugins. I thought perhaps
> has inadvertently changed something on their site, but if you guys don't
> see the problem, that is even more confusing to me.
>
> Thanks again,
> RS

interesting! I've never noticed that before. I can see it
in Safari, Opera, Netscape 8.1.3, Netscape 9.0.0.5, but not
in Firefox, SeaMonkey, or IE7. I've tried everything I
could, but no go.

Oh, just a minute. I just tried something and it works.
Allow popups. White List amazon for popups and clear the
cache and cookies.

Popups: I don't know about Macs, but in windows its Tools,
Options, Content, and click the Exceptions button to Popups.
Add www.amazon.com to the allow list.

Clear cookies and cache: for windows, tools, options,
Privacy, click the settings button for Private Data, uncheck
everything except cache and cookies [or check only those
two]. OK that window, and go back to the Privacy window,
then click on the Clear Now button.

Now try amazon. If that doesn't work, then clear everything
again, and restart FF.

The settings I provided above are for windows. For Mac, I
don't know. It might be under Edit, Preferences, or
something else. Just look around for it.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Leonidas Jones 02-26-2008 05:06 PM

Re: problem with amazon.com website

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> RS wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> can you provide some links so we can test out whats going on? And
>>> tell us what we're supposed to look for. Thanks
>>>

>> Thanks for your respond. As a simple example, I can search with Safari
>> (OS X) and with IE (Win XP), inside the following book
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Parameter-Esti...4032666&sr=8-1
>>

>> Basically there is an area next to the book image where where you put
>> the mouse and the site shows a text saying you can search inside the
>> book. I have firefox on both machines and neither one can do search
>> inside the book. That is, firefox no longer sees the area. The thing
>> is that I had no problem with firefox a couple of weeks ago before.
>> Also, on the OS X machine I have noscript (which I disabled and didn't
>> make a difference). On the windows machine I have no plugins. I
>> thought perhaps has inadvertently changed something on their site, but
>> if you guys don't see the problem, that is even more confusing to me.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> RS

> interesting! I've never noticed that before. I can see it in Safari,
> Opera, Netscape 8.1.3, Netscape 9.0.0.5, but not in Firefox, SeaMonkey,
> or IE7. I've tried everything I could, but no go.
>
> Oh, just a minute. I just tried something and it works. Allow popups.
> White List amazon for popups and clear the cache and cookies.
>
> Popups: I don't know about Macs, but in windows its Tools, Options,
> Content, and click the Exceptions button to Popups. Add www.amazon.com
> to the allow list.
>
> Clear cookies and cache: for windows, tools, options, Privacy, click the
> settings button for Private Data, uncheck everything except cache and
> cookies [or check only those two]. OK that window, and go back to the
> Privacy window, then click on the Clear Now button.
>
> Now try amazon. If that doesn't work, then clear everything again, and
> restart FF.
>
> The settings I provided above are for windows. For Mac, I don't know.
> It might be under Edit, Preferences, or something else. Just look
> around for it.

Firefox>>Preferences>>Privacy

Lee

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 02-26-2008 05:32 PM

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> RS wrote:

>>> Thanks for your respond. As a simple example, I can search with Safari
>>> (OS X) and with IE (Win XP), inside the following book
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Parameter-Esti...4032666&sr=8-1
>>>

>>> Basically there is an area next to the book image where where you put
>>> the mouse and the site shows a text saying you can search inside the
>>> book. I have firefox on both machines and neither one can do search
>>> inside the book. That is, firefox no longer sees the area. The thing
>>> is that I had no problem with firefox a couple of weeks ago before.
>>> Also, on the OS X machine I have noscript (which I disabled and didn't
>>> make a difference). On the windows machine I have no plugins. I
>>> thought perhaps has inadvertently changed something on their site, but
>>> if you guys don't see the problem, that is even more confusing to me.
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>> RS

>> interesting! I've never noticed that before. I can see it in Safari,
>> Opera, Netscape 8.1.3, Netscape 9.0.0.5, but not in Firefox, SeaMonkey,
>> or IE7. I've tried everything I could, but no go.
>>
>> Oh, just a minute. I just tried something and it works. Allow popups.
>> White List amazon for popups and clear the cache and cookies.
>>
>> Popups: I don't know about Macs, but in windows its Tools, Options,
>> Content, and click the Exceptions button to Popups. Add www.amazon.com
>> to the allow list.
>>
>> Clear cookies and cache: for windows, tools, options, Privacy, click the
>> settings button for Private Data, uncheck everything except cache and
>> cookies [or check only those two]. OK that window, and go back to the
>> Privacy window, then click on the Clear Now button.
>>
>> Now try amazon. If that doesn't work, then clear everything again, and
>> restart FF.
>>
>> The settings I provided above are for windows. For Mac, I don't know.
>> It might be under Edit, Preferences, or something else. Just look
>> around for it.
>>

> Firefox>>Preferences>>Privacy
>
> Lee

Heey, I was close! :-) Thanks Lee!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

RS 02-27-2008 04:12 AM

Re: problem with amazon.com website

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> RS wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> can you provide some links so we can test out whats going on? And
>>> tell us what we're supposed to look for. Thanks
>>>

>> Thanks for your respond. As a simple example, I can search with Safari
>> (OS X) and with IE (Win XP), inside the following book
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Parameter-Esti...4032666&sr=8-1
>>

>> Basically there is an area next to the book image where where you put
>> the mouse and the site shows a text saying you can search inside the
>> book. I have firefox on both machines and neither one can do search
>> inside the book. That is, firefox no longer sees the area. The thing
>> is that I had no problem with firefox a couple of weeks ago before.
>> Also, on the OS X machine I have noscript (which I disabled and didn't
>> make a difference). On the windows machine I have no plugins. I
>> thought perhaps has inadvertently changed something on their site, but
>> if you guys don't see the problem, that is even more confusing to me.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> RS

> interesting! I've never noticed that before. I can see it in Safari,
> Opera, Netscape 8.1.3, Netscape 9.0.0.5, but not in Firefox, SeaMonkey,
> or IE7. I've tried everything I could, but no go.
>
> Oh, just a minute. I just tried something and it works. Allow popups.
> White List amazon for popups and clear the cache and cookies.
>
> Popups: I don't know about Macs, but in windows its Tools, Options,
> Content, and click the Exceptions button to Popups. Add www.amazon.com
> to the allow list.
>
> Clear cookies and cache: for windows, tools, options, Privacy, click the
> settings button for Private Data, uncheck everything except cache and
> cookies [or check only those two]. OK that window, and go back to the
> Privacy window, then click on the Clear Now button.
>
> Now try amazon. If that doesn't work, then clear everything again, and
> restart FF.
>
> The settings I provided above are for windows. For Mac, I don't know.
> It might be under Edit, Preferences, or something else. Just look
> around for it.

Thanks! This fixed my problem. I am still curious though. I had no
problem in the past viewing these features with firefox, and I always
had popup windows blocked. I wonder if amazon changed the way they
implement these features, or if firefox 2.0.0.12 has strengthened and
enhanced the popup blocking. Either way, it now works for me.

Thanks again,
RS

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 02-27-2008 06:50 AM

RS wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> RS wrote:

>>> Thanks for your respond. As a simple example, I can search with Safari
>>> (OS X) and with IE (Win XP), inside the following book
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Parameter-Esti...4032666&sr=8-1
>>>

>>> Basically there is an area next to the book image where where you put
>>> the mouse and the site shows a text saying you can search inside the
>>> book. I have firefox on both machines and neither one can do search
>>> inside the book. That is, firefox no longer sees the area. The thing
>>> is that I had no problem with firefox a couple of weeks ago before.
>>> Also, on the OS X machine I have noscript (which I disabled and didn't
>>> make a difference). On the windows machine I have no plugins. I
>>> thought perhaps has inadvertently changed something on their site, but
>>> if you guys don't see the problem, that is even more confusing to me.
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>> RS

>> interesting! I've never noticed that before. I can see it in Safari,
>> Opera, Netscape 8.1.3, Netscape 9.0.0.5, but not in Firefox, SeaMonkey,
>> or IE7. I've tried everything I could, but no go.
>>
>> Oh, just a minute. I just tried something and it works. Allow popups.
>> White List amazon for popups and clear the cache and cookies.
>>
>> Popups: I don't know about Macs, but in windows its Tools, Options,
>> Content, and click the Exceptions button to Popups. Add www.amazon.com
>> to the allow list.
>>
>> Clear cookies and cache: for windows, tools, options, Privacy, click the
>> settings button for Private Data, uncheck everything except cache and
>> cookies [or check only those two]. OK that window, and go back to the
>> Privacy window, then click on the Clear Now button.
>>
>> Now try amazon. If that doesn't work, then clear everything again, and
>> restart FF.
>>
>> The settings I provided above are for windows. For Mac, I don't know.
>> It might be under Edit, Preferences, or something else. Just look
>> around for it.
>>

> Thanks! This fixed my problem. I am still curious though. I had no
> problem in the past viewing these features with firefox, and I always
> had popup windows blocked. I wonder if amazon changed the way they
> implement these features, or if firefox 2.0.0.12 has strengthened and
> enhanced the popup blocking. Either way, it now works for me.
>
> Thanks again,
> RS

I think its FF, cause when I tested it in Netscape 8.1.3 and
9.0.0.5, they are based on a version of FF before 2.0.0.12.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm