Velocity Reviews

-   -   Large file support >2/4GB ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t594010-large-file-support-2-4gb.html)

robert 02-25-2008 10:35 AM

Large file support >2/4GB ?

Somebody who uses my app gets a error :

os.stat('/path/filename')

OSError: [Errno 75] Value too large for defined data type:
'/path/filename'

on a big file >4GB

( Python 2.4.4 / Linux )

How about that? Does Python not support large files? Or which
functions do not support?

Robert

Chris 02-25-2008 01:25 PM

Re: Large file support >2/4GB ?

On Feb 25, 12:35 pm, robert <no-s...@not-existing.invalid> wrote:
> Somebody who uses my app gets a error :
>
> os.stat('/path/filename')
>
> OSError: [Errno 75] Value too large for defined data type:
> '/path/filename'
>
> on a big file >4GB
>
> ( Python 2.4.4 / Linux )
>
> How about that? Does Python not support large files? Or which
> functions do not support?
>
> Robert

*nix itself 'had' an issue with large files. This was patched some
time ago, what version/flavour of Linux are you running ?

Brian Smith 02-25-2008 04:27 PM

RE: Large file support >2/4GB ?

Chris wrote:
> On Feb 25, 12:35 pm, robert <no-s...@not-existing.invalid> wrote:
> > Somebody who uses my app gets a error :
> >
> > os.stat('/path/filename')
> >
> > OSError: [Errno 75] Value too large for defined data type:
> > '/path/filename'
> >
> > on a big file >4GB
> >
> > ( Python 2.4.4 / Linux )
> >
> > How about that? Does Python not support large files? Or which
> > functions do not support?

It looks like Python is not being compiled with large file support by
default. Most distributions do not enable large file support for Python.

- Brian