Velocity Reviews

-   -   Kodak Easyshare shorted motherboard? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t593947-kodak-easyshare-shorted-motherboard.html)

zarklady@cox.net 02-25-2008 05:36 AM

Kodak Easyshare shorted motherboard?

I accidently tried to charge my kodak easyshare m753 with the wrong
charger (a 6v) and it won't work-so i bought a new battery and battery
charger(since i couldn't find mine) and charged the battery and
installed it into the camera, but it still won't turn on-so, i guess
the motherboard was fried, right? Any help would be appreciated-I
don't have original receipt and bought it around Xmas, so without
warranty what can i do?
Thanks,
Janice

news0801.5.kruemi@spamgourmet.com 02-25-2008 10:12 AM

Re: Kodak Easyshare shorted motherboard?

Hello

On 25 Feb., 06:36, zarkl...@cox.net wrote:
> I accidently tried to charge my kodak easyshare m753 with the wrong
> charger (a 6v) and it won't work-

oh, that's really bad. some devices are relatively immune against such
"attacks". Others just get fried!

> so i bought a new battery and battery
> charger(since i couldn't find mine) and charged the battery and
> installed it into the camera, but it still won't turn on-so, i guess
> the motherboard was fried, right? Any help would be appreciated-I
> don't have original receipt and bought it around Xmas, so without
> warranty what can i do?

I'm not sure if the warranty would cover such a case. normally it's
wriiteen in the instructions not to use anything else than the
original power-supply, otherwise the warranty will be void.
If you are really lucky, they are able to repair the thing. But i
would think that you will have to buy a new camera :-(

Marco

fac 02-25-2008 04:11 PM

Re: Kodak Easyshare shorted motherboard?

See if you can get a copy of the receipt from your credit card company or
the place you bought the camera and just tell Kodak the camera failed and
see what they do.
It may not have been anything you did as Kodak cameras have relatively poor
reliability among a class of cameras not known for ruggedness of design or
construction.
Unless they have changed their policy Kodak's minimum charge for out of
warranty repairs exceeds the used value of any camera ever sold under the
Kodak name since they stopped selling SLRs over 40 years ago.

Ron Hunter 02-26-2008 08:39 AM

fac wrote:
> See if you can get a copy of the receipt from your credit card company
> or the place you bought the camera and just tell Kodak the camera failed
> and see what they do.
> It may not have been anything you did as Kodak cameras have relatively
> poor reliability among a class of cameras not known for ruggedness of
> design or construction.
> Unless they have changed their policy Kodak's minimum charge for out of
> warranty repairs exceeds the used value of any camera ever sold under
> the Kodak name since they stopped selling SLRs over 40 years ago.

Interesting. PC World rated the major manufacturers on reliability, and
stated that Kodak was at the bottom of the list, BUT, their own chart,
(see http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=112915&page=12&zoomIdx=1) seems to
contradict their previous statement, rating them ABOVE Nikon, Panasonic,
and Olympus. This kind of rampant BIAS in the subjective results in
articles is pretty much a reflection of what one sees in this newsgroup.

John Turco 02-26-2008 01:59 PM

zarklady@cox.net wrote:

> I accidently tried to charge my kodak easyshare m753 with the wrong
> charger (a 6v) and it won't work-so i bought a new battery and battery
> charger(since i couldn't find mine) and charged the battery and
> installed it into the camera, but it still won't turn on-so, i guess
> the motherboard was fried, right?

Hello, Janice:

I'm sure that >something< was "fried" and the M753 is now damaged beyond
repair, most likely. You've learned a very painful (but important) lesson,
one hopes.

In the future, never guess about using any "charger" or AC adapter, with
any of your devices...the voltage and polarity must both be set to the
right specifications! (The polarity, principally.)

> Any help would be appreciated-I don't have original receipt and bought
> it around Xmas, so without warranty what can i do?
> Thanks,
> Janice

You could try selling the dead Kodak, on eBay <http://www.ebay.com>. Many
broken digicams are listed there, as they can be economical sources of
spare parts.

For example, your M753's battery door and lens assembly would be quite
handy, to a person in need of either of those particular items, in order
to fix his own camera.

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

John Turco 02-29-2008 02:08 PM

fac wrote:

> See if you can get a copy of the receipt from your credit card company or
> the place you bought the camera and just tell Kodak the camera failed and
> see what they do.
> It may not have been anything you did as Kodak cameras have relatively poor
> reliability among a class of cameras not known for ruggedness of design or
> construction.
> Unless they have changed their policy Kodak's minimum charge for out of
> warranty repairs exceeds the used value of any camera ever sold under the
> Kodak name since they stopped selling SLRs over 40 years ago.

Hello, Fac:

Alas, perception isn't reality, where the "ruggedness" of Kodak's digicams
is concerned. I own several such camera models and have seen and handled
many more, in various stores; if they're genuinely any flimsier than their
counterparts from other major manufacturers, I believe I would've recognized
that fact, by now.

John Turco 02-29-2008 02:08 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:

> fac wrote:
> > See if you can get a copy of the receipt from your credit card company
> > or the place you bought the camera and just tell Kodak the camera failed
> > and see what they do.
> > It may not have been anything you did as Kodak cameras have relatively
> > poor reliability among a class of cameras not known for ruggedness of
> > design or construction.
> > Unless they have changed their policy Kodak's minimum charge for out of
> > warranty repairs exceeds the used value of any camera ever sold under
> > the Kodak name since they stopped selling SLRs over 40 years ago.

> Interesting. PC World rated the major manufacturers on reliability, and
> stated that Kodak was at the bottom of the list, BUT, their own chart,
> (see http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=112915&page=12&zoomIdx=1) seems to
> contradict their previous statement, rating them ABOVE Nikon, Panasonic,
> and Olympus. This kind of rampant BIAS in the subjective results in
> articles is pretty much a reflection of what one sees in this newsgroup.

Hello, Ron:

Par for the course, I fear!

Robert Coe 03-01-2008 11:47 PM

:
: Interesting. PC World rated the major manufacturers on reliability, and
: stated that Kodak was at the bottom of the list, BUT, their own chart,
: (see http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=112915&page=12&zoomIdx=1) seems to
: contradict their previous statement, rating them ABOVE Nikon, Panasonic,
: and Olympus. This kind of rampant BIAS in the subjective results in
: articles is pretty much a reflection of what one sees in this newsgroup.

Are you asking us to believe that PC World uses this newsgroup to supply the
information it uses to develop product reliability ratings? That strikes me as
something between an oversimplification and an absurdity.

Bob

John Turco 03-04-2008 05:02 AM

Robert Coe wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 02:39:56 -0600, Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:

<edited for brevity>

> : Interesting. PC World rated the major manufacturers on reliability, and
> : stated that Kodak was at the bottom of the list, BUT, their own chart,
> : (see http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=112915&page=12&zoomIdx=1) seems to
> : contradict their previous statement, rating them ABOVE Nikon, Panasonic,
> : and Olympus. This kind of rampant BIAS in the subjective results in
> : articles is pretty much a reflection of what one sees in this newsgroup.
>
> Are you asking us to believe that PC World uses this newsgroup to supply the
> information it uses to develop product reliability ratings? That strikes me as
> something between an oversimplification and an absurdity.
>
> Bob

Hello, Bob:

I rather doubt that Ron Hunter was implying such a thing, when he used the word
"reflection." He probably meant there's a general feeling of anti-Kodak sentiment,
which permeates the mainstream photographic media, as well as Usenet, itself. (If
so, then, I tend to agree with him.)

Actually, Kodak happens to have one of its own employees (Ron Baird) monitor this
newsgroup, occasionally; he hasn't posted here, in many months, alas.