Velocity Reviews

-   -   session variable and window.open (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t59385-session-variable-and-window-open.html)

Benjie Fallar 07-10-2003 04:45 AM

Re: session variable and window.open

correction: it still holds true even in classic ASP.

"Mark" <mark@yahoo.comN0SPAM> wrote in message
> Hi all, I have a website where I want to be able to 'pop up' a window

using
> the window.open call in JavaScript.
> I remember back in the old days of classic ASP there was a problem where a
> call to window.open started a new session and all session variables were
> lost.
> I did a quick check in ASP.Net and the session variables were saved

between

Natty Gur 07-10-2003 04:48 AM

Re: session variable and window.open

Hi,

As in the old happy days of ASP and COM using window.open still can end
up with new session. if you want to be sure that the new window maintain
the same session use javascript to pass cookies from the calling page to
the new one.

Natty Gur, CTO
Dao2Com Ltd.
28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
Israel , 51114

Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)3-5786668
Fax: +972-(0)3-5703475
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Know the overall picture

Benjie Fallar 07-10-2003 07:37 AM

Re: session variable and window.open

i tried to prove i said that using window.open in client-side script will
produce the same SessionID by creating two asp pages.

default.asp
<script language="javascript">
function windowOpen()
{ window.open("another.asp","_blank"); }
</script>

This is a <a href="javascript:windowOpen();">link</a>
The session id = <%=Session.SessionID%>

another.asp

<%= Session.SessionID %>

Walah!!! they produced the same SessionID value!!!

try it!

Natty Gur 07-10-2003 08:28 AM

Re: session variable and window.open

Yes I know. but in my 10 years of expirence and almost 3 in ASP.NET the
same code that works, from time to time dont behave as expected and
create new session.

Benjie Fallar III 07-10-2003 08:48 AM

Re: session variable and window.open

i see that... thanks for your suggestion :) i guess i have to take that
one as a good advice.

tittlejoseph 08-28-2007 01:24 PM

I want each opened window to have separate session, and parent window sessions are not affected, an example is boss wants to see application from sub-ordinates point of view.
Can anybody help me.
tittle.joseph@hcl.in
tittlejoseph@yahoo.com