Velocity Reviews

-   -   "McGyver" film developing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t593767-mcgyver-film-developing.html)

richard 02-24-2008 03:43 AM

"McGyver" film developing

On one of "mythbusters" tv shows special about the mythical fix it
know it all "McGyver", they show a method of film developing with
nothing but orange juice, ammonia, milk and water.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used this method for film
developing or just how truthful it is. I mean, hell, if it's that damn
simple, what the hell do you need all those chemicals for?

Yes I have developed film before. B&W and slides.

--

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Mark Twain(attributed)

Christopher Jahn 02-24-2008 03:53 AM

Re: "McGyver" film developing

richard <I.dont.care@do.you> wrote in

> On one of "mythbusters" tv shows special about the mythical
> fix it know it all "McGyver", they show a method of film
> developing with nothing but orange juice, ammonia, milk and
> water.
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has ever used this method for
> film developing or just how truthful it is. I mean, hell, if
> it's that damn simple, what the hell do you need all those
> chemicals for?

Orange juice and milk break down. Not only does the result smell,
the chemical composition changes. Ammonia has its own quirks
that make it undesirable.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

Be careful, the last person using this keyboard had a terminal
disease.

richard 02-24-2008 04:04 AM

Re: "McGyver" film developing

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:53:46 -0600, Christopher Jahn <xjahn@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>richard <I.dont.care@do.you> wrote in
>news:kap1s3lq7m66qj42pelh5u5qo3na6tf2na@4ax.com :
>
>> On one of "mythbusters" tv shows special about the mythical
>> fix it know it all "McGyver", they show a method of film
>> developing with nothing but orange juice, ammonia, milk and
>> water.
>>
>> I was just wondering if anyone has ever used this method for
>> film developing or just how truthful it is. I mean, hell, if
>> it's that damn simple, what the hell do you need all those
>> chemicals for?

>Orange juice and milk break down. Not only does the result smell,
>the chemical composition changes. Ammonia has its own quirks
>that make it undesirable.

That's what I was thinking. Neither is stable enough to complete the
desired results. If you did get anything, it probably wouldn't be good
enough to print let alone see what was captured.

Christopher Jahn 02-24-2008 12:40 PM

Re: "McGyver" film developing

> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:53:46 -0600, Christopher Jahn
> <xjahn@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>richard <I.dont.care@do.you> wrote in
>>news:kap1s3lq7m66qj42pelh5u5qo3na6tf2na@4ax.co m:
>>
>>> On one of "mythbusters" tv shows special about the mythical
>>> fix it know it all "McGyver", they show a method of film
>>> developing with nothing but orange juice, ammonia, milk and
>>> water.
>>>
>>> I was just wondering if anyone has ever used this method for
>>> film developing or just how truthful it is. I mean, hell, if
>>> it's that damn simple, what the hell do you need all those
>>> chemicals for?

>>Orange juice and milk break down. Not only does the result
>>smell, the chemical composition changes. Ammonia has its own
>>quirks that make it undesirable.

> That's what I was thinking. Neither is stable enough to
> complete the desired results. If you did get anything, it
> probably wouldn't be good enough to print let alone see what
> was captured.

Not at all. They work just fine. But they cost more because you
have to use fresh product all the time. Photographic chemicals
are cheaper to use because they have a much longer shelf life.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

On a clear disk you can seek forever.