Velocity Reviews

-   -   In C++ programming, what librarys or frameworks are you using? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t593374-in-c-programming-what-librarys-or-frameworks-are-you-using.html)

CppNewer 02-22-2008 05:44 AM

In C++ programming, what librarys or frameworks are you using?

Or most peopel use the OS' API directly? or everyone made own series
of library such as Socket, Thread API.

WuYaMing@gmail.com 02-22-2008 07:59 AM

Re: In C++ programming, what librarys or frameworks are you using?

On 2月22日, 下午1时44分, CppNewer <hex...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Or most peopel use the OS' API directly? or everyone made own series
> of library such as Socket, Thread API.

gcc&g++

Lars Uffmann 02-22-2008 08:54 AM

CppNewer wrote:
> Or most peopel use the OS' API directly? or everyone made own series
> of library such as Socket, Thread API.

I'm currently using:

- wxWidgets (big difference to what I was used to, with the sizer
concept, but worth a look) with wxFormBuilder
- boost::thread
- winsock2 (supposed to be compatible to sockets-library under linux)
- xerces-c (domxml parsing)

all of this with Eclipse CDT & Cygwin, thinking about "migrating" to
MinGW though, for not needing cygwin1.dll or similar.

Best Regards,

Lars

Erik Wikstr枚m 02-23-2008 02:08 PM

On 2008-02-22 06:44, CppNewer wrote:
> Or most peopel use the OS' API directly? or everyone made own series
> of library such as Socket, Thread API.

Depends on what kind of application I'm writing, I usually try to keep
the number of dependencies small. In the projects I'm currently working
on I use the C++ standard library, whatever I in POSIX, and Qt 3.

--
Erik Wikstr枚m

Jeff Schwab 02-23-2008 02:25 PM

CppNewer wrote:
> Or most peopel use the OS' API directly? or everyone made own series
> of library such as Socket, Thread API.

POSIX and Qt4.

You know what I would love? A great big honkin' printed tutorial on the
parts of Boost that could replace direct calls to POSIX. I would
particularly like portable access to the local file-system and to the
network, and portable concurrency. I'm aware that Boost provides these
libraries, but what I really want is an Addison-Wesley Professional
hardcover showing me how to use them. I guess that book won't exist
until TR2 makes it into C++1x.

coal@mailvault.com 02-23-2008 07:09 PM

On Feb 23, 8:25*am, Jeff Schwab <j...@schwabcenter.com> wrote:

> POSIX and Qt4.
>
> You know what I would love? *A great big honkin' printed tutorial on the
> parts of Boost that could replace direct calls to POSIX. *I would
> particularly like portable access to the local file-system and to the
> network, and portable concurrency. *I'm aware that Boost provides these
> libraries, but what I really want is an Addison-Wesley Professional
> hardcover showing me how to use them. *I guess that book won't exist
> until TR2 makes it into C++1x.

I doubt it will take that long. I'm interested in hearing about
C++ related books that are in the works, but haven't been published
yet.

Brian Wood

coal@mailvault.com 02-23-2008 07:13 PM

On Feb 21, 11:44*pm, CppNewer <hex...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Or most peopel use the OS' API directly? or everyone made own series
> of library such as Socket, Thread API.

Here's one related to sockets and marshalling -
www.webebenezer.net

Brian Wood

EventHelix.com 02-23-2008 07:31 PM

On Feb 22, 12:44*am, CppNewer <hex...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Or most peopel use the OS' API directly? or everyone made own series
> of library such as Socket, Thread API.

ACE is C++ framework for network programming.

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html

--
EventStudio 4.0 - http://www.Eventhelix.com/Eventstudio/
Sequence diagram based systems engineering tool

davis685@gmail.com 02-24-2008 03:18 PM

On Feb 23, 9:25 am, Jeff Schwab <j...@schwabcenter.com> wrote:
> CppNewer wrote:
> > Or most peopel use the OS' API directly? or everyone made own series
> > of library such as Socket, Thread API.

> POSIX and Qt4.
>
> You know what I would love? A great big honkin' printed tutorial on the
> parts of Boost that could replace direct calls to POSIX. I would
> particularly like portable access to the local file-system and to the
> network, and portable concurrency. I'm aware that Boost provides these
> libraries, but what I really want is an Addison-Wesley Professional
> hardcover showing me how to use them. I guess that book won't exist
> until TR2 makes it into C++1x.

I have been using this library (dclib.sourceforge.net) to do all of
that stuff portably and I think the documentation is pretty good. But

Jeff Schwab 02-24-2008 04:16 PM

davis685@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 23, 9:25 am, Jeff Schwab <j...@schwabcenter.com> wrote:
>> CppNewer wrote:
>>> Or most peopel use the OS' API directly? or everyone made own series
>>> of library such as Socket, Thread API.

>> POSIX and Qt4.
>>
>> You know what I would love? A great big honkin' printed tutorial on the
>> parts of Boost that could replace direct calls to POSIX. I would
>> particularly like portable access to the local file-system and to the
>> network, and portable concurrency. I'm aware that Boost provides these
>> libraries, but what I really want is an Addison-Wesley Professional
>> hardcover showing me how to use them. I guess that book won't exist
>> until TR2 makes it into C++1x.

> I have been using this library (dclib.sourceforge.net) to do all of
> that stuff portably and I think the documentation is pretty good. But
> then again I wrote it :)

Thanks, that looks interesting. Now that std::tr1::array exists, are
you going to keep array_kernel_2?